Might sound like a dumb question?? (1 Viewer)

laila2010

HSC
Hey,
I was wondering if at uni we are given a syllabus to go off like the HSC?
And are there textbooks avaliable provviding detail on the syllabus?

I know I have a similar thread, but this is just a bit different as I am wondering about the syllabus this time.

bio_nut

HSC
Sometimes you're given an outline, but it can be either very detailed or very vague. It's sometimes difficult to know what's being assessed.

laila2010

HSC
Sometimes you're given an outline, but it can be either very detailed or very vague. It's sometimes difficult to know what's being assessed.
But if I bought a textbook and was to learn all of the info in it would I basically know everything?
are uni textbooks just as comprehensive as the hsc ones?:fish:

bio_nut

HSC
But if I bought a textbook and was to learn all of the info in it would I basically know everything?
are uni textbooks just as comprehensive as the hsc ones?:fish:
They are too big are too comprehensive to just learn everything.

My science textbooks are often several thousand pages.

Go to lectures or download them if you can and go from there.

laila2010

HSC

Go to lectures or download them if you can and go from there.
mmm true, they would be.
But just say if I was to have difficulty with a certain topic and was to look it up in the textbook and learn a portion of it (not the whole book) do you think they are good enough to grasp an understanding?

Like how do you study do you just use your own notes or a textbook too?:haha:

LordPc

HSC
true. if you are given a textbook for a class, often you wont use it all, there'd just be too much stuff in the textbook for that. also keep in mind that in some cases you wont even need a textbook as the university might provide you with their own notes.

false. i find it very hard to believe that you have books several thousand pages long. the spine would have to be huge

bio_nut

HSC
I mean over a 1000, lol, had a moment. Just checked for you, longest is 1700 pages. And it has a huge spine.

bio_nut

HSC
mmm true, they would be.
But just say if I was to have difficulty with a certain topic and was to look it up in the textbook and learn a portion of it (not the whole book) do you think they are good enough to grasp an understanding?

Like how do you study do you just use your own notes or a textbook too?:haha:
It's really up to you and how you learn best. Everyone prefers different textbooks. For some courses you have to use a certain one (like I did for Asian Studies and Chinese), for others like Chemistry it's more what works for you.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Uni text boooks aren't written for specific courses (i.e. a criminal law textbook wont be specific to MQ's criminal law course). Academics pick the most relevant book to the course and you go by that. They set readings and you do them but its all about independent learning and thought, you will have to relate what you read to the course.

Andi0390

HSC
Uni text boooks aren't written for specific courses (i.e. a criminal law textbook wont be specific to MQ's criminal law course). Academics pick the most relevant book to the course and you go by that. They set readings and you do them but its all about independent learning and thought, you will have to relate what you read to the course.
Actually, last semester I attended university in New Zealand. Anyway, the Philosophy lecturer had been teaching for about 40 years I think he said, and he'd been head of the department and such. He was really old, sweet and random, and would make the strangest philosophy jokes - he was everything you would expect from a Philosophy lecturer.

Anyway, for this first year course he wrote his own textbook to go with it, and each chapter would cover in-depth reading for the lectures. It was quite good, and I still have the book because it was a great reference point for accessible information about basic philosophy and philosophers.

Although, for essays, you still were expected to do your own research to expand what you had learnt, and to reference different ideas etc.

All my courses I have always been given a unit outline which has what assessments there are, how much per cent they are worth, and usually what they are about, although sometimes that is released later. There are usually also recommended reading for all the different units, and sometimes some extra sort of "study guide" information.

Don't stress about how to learn things though. My first semester at ANU they really showed you the best ways to do things. Like for some subjects essay plans were assessable, and you handed them referencing two books, two journals, an encyclopedia. You know, teaching you where to look for the information. Pretty much all units had a tutorial in the library, and sometimes a mini assignment to go with it.

They would also spend a tutorial explaining what your assessment was, how to go about doing and what was expected. Some even had past assessments to look at.

Its different to high school but they really help with the transition. You are expected to use your brain, and study continuously, but its really not that hard when you get into it.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
uni is not like the hsc where you rote learn whatever they want you to and then regurgitate the information. it's rare that you are going to find a textbook designed specifically for your course. pretty much whatever you go over in lectures, learn it. lecturers will often give hints about what is important to know or whether what they are saying is just for interest's sake or whatever.

micuzzo

HSC
wow lectures must be really informative... i thought they were just about some random person raving about something they think will be important to you...lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)