• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

mind checking this powerplay essay out?? (1 Viewer)

emma_o2

HSC
This is a "generic" Antony and Cleopatra essay..comments, thoughts or even marks would be greatly appreciated (I'm so confused with power play!!!)

Through exploring various representations of power play in Shakespeare’s ‘Antony and Cleopatra’ I have developed an understanding of the relationship between representation and meaning. Insight into the nature of power and the various holders of power has been gained by analysing the different depictions and portrayals of power play. By studying other texts on power play, such as “Dangerous Liaisons” directed by Stephen Fears and the website www.historyplace.com entitled “The Rise of Adolf Hitler”, I have come to the realisation that various textual forms offer different perspectives of events, personalities and situations.

In power plays callous methods schemes, techniques and tactics must be employed by those who want to win. People, who are ruthless and tricky, undermining others with no respect for honour, always end up on top. Sympathy and kindness are not qualities to be possessed by a person after ultimate power.
Caesar utilises cruel schemes to get what he wants, and those such as Antony and Pompey who are concerned with honour, become the targets of his plots. When fighting Antony, he places those who deserted Antony in front, so Antony feels as though he is fighting himself and achieving nothing – “none but Antony should conquer Antony”.
In “Dangerous Liaisons”, Valmont employs tactics to manipulate people to his advantage. He blackmails a maid Jenna and thinks up tactics to seduce Tourvel such as firstly acting romantic and later is “merciless” and threatens he will kill himself “an end to my suffering” if she does not love him. With this dramatic threat, innocent Tourvel gives in against her better judgement. Those who do not employ tactics are quickly taken as unwilling victims, as one of Valmont’s conquests (“my most famous exploit”)
As these two power plays are different, but both involve the use of heartless schemes, one can see how in very different situations the best way to achieve power is exactly the same – to think of only yourself and trust no one.

In politics, power of speech is a necessity in winning over a majority. Antony possesses a completely different personality and therefore political approach to Caesar. He often is too emotional, unpredictable and frivolous to be a good leader, but he is an excellent speaker. In Act 4, scene 1 he speaks to the few that remain loyal to him and he “makes his followers weep”, Enorbarbus tells Cleopatra that Antony’s speech is only an act and not entirely genuine.
Similar to Antony, and referred to in the website "www.historyplace.com", Hitler appealed to many people through his powerful speeches – “he astounded everyone with a highly emotional, at times hysterical manner of speaking”. He knew where peoples insecurities lay, and appealed to their hopefulness. It was this command over speech that placed Hitler and Antony in a position of power.

Sexual allure has the ability to distract people from their responsibilities, obligations and other people they may care about. Lust has the ability to overthrow rational thought and action but how Antony and Valmont react to this situation is very different. Antony is a triumvir but is willing to give it all up for the women he loves, Cleopatra. “The triple pillar of the world transformed into a strumpets fool”. This not only means he loses his command over part of the world, but makes enemies in the kind of places one doesn’t want enemies. In the case of Antony, lust leads to his ultimate demise. However in “Dangerous Liaisons” Valmont does not allow love to control him, as he has spent a life time making sure his emotions do not rule him. He does not risk as much as Antony by falling in love, only the respect of the woman he adores, Merteuil and his reputation as a womaniser. But he denies he is in love and breaks up with Tourvel only to become very unhappy as a result “I can not explain why I broke from her, but my life has been of no worth since”. Where Antony dives head first into the prospect of losing everything for love, Valmont has a more realistic view and becomes afraid causing him to break up with Tourvel – showing how two personalities can react differently to the same situation.

One person can not have political power for very long, as after all these political leaders are only human and the public expect perfection from their triumvirs and dictators. With political power comes much pressure and Antony and Hitler reacted differently to this. In Act 2, scene 1 Pompey discusses why the triumvirs will be unsuccessful together. If they were not so obsessed with getting power, they might actually have it. In particular he says of Antony that he is more concerned about power indoors then outdoors. As the voice of reason, Enorbarbus says “the itch of his affection should not then have nicked his captainship” – in other words lust will be the downfall of Antony.
In the website "The Rise of Adolf Hitler" it explores how people thought Hitler to be a good leader, as Antony was. It took a while for the people of Germany to realise he wasn’t, as anyone who criticised Hitler was arrested. It was perhaps after “five years, eight months and six days of bloodshed and destruction”, that it became very obvious that Hitler was far too greedy and unreliable to be a good leader - “he had plunged them into a new world war to fulfil his own mad ambitions”. Antony reacted to the pressure of power by ignoring it, while Hitler embraced it and became obsessed by it but in the end both these dramatic falls from political power, led to dishonour and suicide.

A disregard for morality can occur when the gaining of power for oneself is an issue. In “Antony and Cleopatra” Caesar marries his sister to Antony whom he knows is in love with Cleopatra. His purpose is to maintain political stability in his relationship with Antony. Octavia is manipulated and becomes a tool in the powerplay between Caesar and Antony.
Hitler, as discussed in "www.historyplace.com", became “blinded to reality”, all of Germany was convinced everything he said was true and he came to believe that to. Hitler believed each of his own actions to be justified and when he “blamed the Jews for the problems in Germany”, morality took a back seat and everyone believed he was right. Morality plays a small part in political power plays, especially when obtaining power is in reach.

The power of deception will always have a devastating effect and is used for a persons own selfish ambition and reasons.
Cleopatra is the main offender in using the power of deception and Antony the main victim. She starts with feigning a fainting spell (“I am sick and sullen”) but leads on to sending word of her fake suicide – all to gain attention. This deception has the power to make Antony forget her betrayal and fall on his own sword in grief. Deception plays a ruthless part in “Antony and Cleopatra” and in the end the power of Cleopatra’s lies causes the death of her lover, his servant, herself and her servants. Caesar also lies “he words me girls, he words me” in order to gain what he wants.
In “Dangerous Liaisons” there are two main offenders of deception. Valmont “never opens his mouth without first calculating the damage he can do” and Merteuil “I became a virtuoso of deceit”. For enjoyment, Valmont tricks girls into falling in love with him, for example Tourvel who is cunningly seduced. Valmont said “I pledged eternal love, and at the time and for several hours after, I actually meant it” - this dishonesty causes Tourvel to die of unhappiness. In power plays, deceit and selfishness have a destructive and lasting impact on all involved.

“Antony and Cleopatra”, “Dangerous Liaisons” and “The Rise of Adolf Hitler” explore representations of powerplay through language and visual features. By looking at these different representations we can see how different personalities react in different situations giving the conclusion that the fight for power is apart of human nature and a universal theme.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Emma - here are some points for you to consider:

1. ultimately you are trying to show what composers say about powerplay and how they say it. therefore, you MUST show devices and techniques- generally your discussion of themes is very good, but you dont say anything about how it is shown. dont do this is your essay, and you miss out on some easy marks

2. Perhaps you could define power in your opening paragraph?

3. introducte the types of power you will discuss in your introduction

4. your paragraphs dont seem to be linked. at the start of each paragraph you really should have a linking sentence which reinforces your argument and links that paragraph to the one before it. starting with words like "similarly" or "on the contrary" shows how you can compare your texts and maintain an integrated response.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I would steer clear of using "historyplace.com" as there are several academic books on hitler (some/several/numbering in the tens of thousands) and would be a better choice.

emma_o2

HSC
yeh i kinda agree..wen we first had to do supp material it was a last minute thing and i got that but now its getting too late and after all a website is a text..its ok to be different right??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sure its ok, but get a respectable site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)