Minimum hours u can work (1 Viewer)

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
I'm thinking of getting a job (casual maybe?), but i'm wondering, how few hours will employers let you work for if they're going to take you on... especially if like me, u have zero experience, so they have to train u up?

And especially with big companies like woolies, big w... how flexible are they if ur away for holidays (since i study in newcastle but live in syd)?

^___^
HSC
legally per week

casual: 0
part time: 8 (or 9 i think)

so to answer your question: it all comes down to the employer and like, how much he/she likes you

kalli

HSC
iyamahobbit said:
And especially with big companies like woolies, big w... how flexible are they if ur away for holidays (since i study in newcastle but live in syd)?
that also depends on the specific store... i worked at big w (casual) and if i knocked back one shift they would punish me by not offering me work for the next 2 weeks :(

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
I work at Big W for a second job and the minimum number of hours you can work if you're casual is, as ... said, 0. Although, the shortest shift you can do at any one time is 3 hours, so if you wanted to be on the roster each week you would need to work a minimum of 3 hours a week.

As for being away because of uni, there are a number of employees at our store who have kept their job at big w and worked only when they're available (uni holidays), the minimum requirement is to work once each 3 months i think in order to keep your position there and not be 'silenty sacked' which they had a habit of doing at our store. I'm sure if you were thinking of getting a job at a big w or woolies or something talk to the admin/business services/HR manager about how they feel/work with people who are at uni?

I dunno, i'm just guessing and going by what's happened at our store in the past.

P

pLuvia

Per shift the minimum is 3 hours
A week for casuals is probably 0 as ... said :p

*Minka*

HSC
If I knock back one shift at Target, even when they rostered me on during school time, they put you in the fucking black book and give you no shifts for a month or six weeks - depending how they are feeling.

HSC
iyamahobbit said:
I'm thinking of getting a job (casual maybe?), but i'm wondering, how few hours will employers let you work for if they're going to take you on... especially if like me, u have zero experience, so they have to train u up?

Woolies is acutually one three hour shift every six weeks.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
are employers actually allowed to give you no work in retaliation for knocking back shifts? like, you can't work once and then they drop you for a fortnight? it doesnt seem fair, esp. if they call you when they know you have to be at school like minka because *newsflash* school legally takes priority...

stevedude56

HSC
Employers arent legally doing anything wrong when they dont give u any shifts wen ur casual as u are employed on an hourly basis and the managers just decide whether to give u any hours or not. If you are part time then u no for sure u r gonna get hours each week but if ur a good worker u will always get hours each week.

*Minka*

HSC
I have always wondered about the legality of the black book.

HSC
natstar said:
Ive been working at Woolies off and on for 3 years. I study in Sydney but I live on the mid noth coast, so they kept my job for me for when I come home during holidays so I can ean some $.
Casual staff min is 0 hours as it has been said. However, at my woolies anyway, they have started putting quite a few people on contracts, in order to prevent a lot of the younger staff members from not turning up. Contracts allow an agreement between you and your employer for a min set number of hours per week.
For the record, I knock shifts back all the time, yet they still roster me on. Even if you are only rostered for not many hours, there is always the possibility of them calling you in.
They are doing that at all stores now. It's something to do with the agreement. Like the one weekend off a month (that you have always been entitled too.) For the contract though, you only have to do 10 hours a week.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Mm, thanks for all those posts, that's pretty helpful... i might try getting a casual job and see what happens :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)