Mining Engineering - Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Mitchbay

HSC
Hey guys.

I was just wondering if any of you know much about Mining Engineering?

I just want to know if you think it is really worth becoming a Mining Engineer. I know they get paid well. But I've also heard that they have a week on and a week off sort of thing. Just wondering how great a toll that would have on ones social life and relationships etc.

I am planning to do this at UoW this year and then combine it with Civil at the end of 2nd year if my marks allow.

Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated :)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
kinda pointless pm-ing me the same question exactly and posting here. Would have preferred if you had linked me.

I can give you the rundown on mining engineering, because i'm currently working at a mine. mining engineers look at the processes involved around the extraction of minerals from the ground, and then converting it into a substance where they can sell it off - usually greater than 99% purity. Engineers will design things around smelters, concentrators, crushing & conveying etc. Its quite cool actually, you get some cool jobs where millions of dollars can be oured into your teams project.

As far as relationships go, at the mine i'm working at, you have to spend 3 years as a general worker before you can be an office mining engineer. This is so you understand what is going on underground and how to improve it. Yeah its shift work, but while you're young its ok. Shift work changes between mines. But currently, fulltime workers go in a 4 days on, 4 days off rotation. Each shift on, they rotate between a night and a day shift. 6-6 - 12hrs. Its hard when you start, but you get used to it. Also it pays quite well, and you are looked after. wwhile you are young this is fine, as per relationships its better to move up the tree and get a day position.

one of my mates is designing a rubbish chute for a concentrator (very small project), he needs to look at current plans, future plans, safety specs, materials etc etc and design something suitable. he doesnt actually build it, but do everything upto ordering the parts.

rx34

HSC
My brother's best mate got offered a $100k job fresh out of Monash University. The con was he had to move to Queensland where the mines are.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
kinda pointless pm-ing me the same question exactly and posting here. Would have preferred if you had linked me.

I can give you the rundown on mining engineering, because i'm currently working at a mine. mining engineers look at the processes involved around the extraction of minerals from the ground, and then converting it into a substance where they can sell it off - usually greater than 99% purity. Engineers will design things around smelters, concentrators, crushing & conveying etc. Its quite cool actually, you get some cool jobs where millions of dollars can be oured into your teams project.

As far as relationships go, at the mine i'm working at, you have to spend 3 years as a general worker before you can be an office mining engineer. This is so you understand what is going on underground and how to improve it. Yeah its shift work, but while you're young its ok. Shift work changes between mines. But currently, fulltime workers go in a 4 days on, 4 days off rotation. Each shift on, they rotate between a night and a day shift. 6-6 - 12hrs. Its hard when you start, but you get used to it. Also it pays quite well, and you are looked after. wwhile you are young this is fine, as per relationships its better to move up the tree and get a day position.

one of my mates is designing a rubbish chute for a concentrator (very small project), he needs to look at current plans, future plans, safety specs, materials etc etc and design something suitable. he doesnt actually build it, but do everything upto ordering the parts.
That's not really the case in most mines. What you described (eventhough its similar to the wiki def'n) is more chem engineering. (after the bit I bolded).

Best to look at this definition:

myfuture :: Occupation Information - Mining Engineer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)