• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Minoan Crete Religion Historian Quotes? (1 Viewer)

iJen5

HSC
Does anybody have any quotes about religion in Crete by an historian?!
It's for a secondary source.

Please help! I'm desperate :/

jessxxr

HSC
hi!!

Well i was going back over my notes, in relation to religious places i have historians such as:

Peak sanctuaries:
-throughout Crete, 25 shrines have been found. Peak sanctuaries were among the most popular types of Minoan religious centres. They are located near the tops of steep hills and mountains.
-interestingly though, the remains from one centre are likely to be quite different from its nearest neighbour, and Watrous has suggested that these differences may really represent different functions for peak shrines

Caves- rural worship took place in caves, probably to the earth goddess. Altars have been found inside and outside of caves, and as Rutkowski suggests, worshippers may have also used natural rocks or stalagmites as altars.

Villa and house shrines- pillar worship, column worship, tripartite shrines, adytons and shrines were all religious features of the Little Palace at Knossos, and of villas and larger houses.
The Little Palace: contains interesting religious features, the first is its row of three Pillar Rooms along the south side of the complex. The second is its relatively well-preserved adyton. The third is its magnificent bulls head rhyton- a pouring vessel that was found in a cupboard. The fourth is its series of spacious, finely finished rooms on the eastern side. The largest room, the Megaron, had two doors leading to the adyton. These arrangements suggest to Geraldine Gesell that this was a place of religious display, with an adyton being used in ceremonies that were viewed from the megaron.

IN TERMS OF RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS SUCH AS SNAKES AND THE SNAKE GODDESS
We have a number of Minoan statuettes of women with snakes entwined around them, the best known being the faience Snake Goddess, a name given by Evans. She was found in the Temple Repository at Knossos.

they aren't exactly direct quotes, but they are references which are just as good!
if you need anything else just let me know, i also have my set of notes on the Minoans if you ever need them or anything! good luck, hope this isnt too late!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)