Misadventure for the HSC (1 Viewer)

jordan c:

HSC
Hey guys, recently a family member who lived with me just suffered from a psychotic breakdown. It's taken a lot of days from HSC prep to take care of her, and her snap completely revolved around us too, leading to some undesirable events... Because she can't really work anymore, my mum can't afford the rent—so we have to move as well. Would a misadventure be appropriate in this case? I hope it's not too late or out of NESA's time range. I'm waiting on a reply back from my teachers. I know I sound really disconnected from her situation, but I'm overwhelmed by everything at the moment. But stress is a universal thing really, so I'm not sure if my lack of focus is just my fault.

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
I think a misadventure would be appropriate in this case, as nesa defines misadventure as “any other event beyond the student’s control which allegedly affected the student’s performance in the examination(s)” and this event has most definitely affected your performance. I also doubt it would be too late as students are able to submit misadventure forms on the day of their examination, so i recommend you file a form now. You can also attend your hsc examination and whichever mark is higher (your moderated marks or hsc exam mark) will be used to calculate your hsc

dasfas

HSC
Yes, definitely apply for it. I didn't apply for misadventure when I sat the HSC I regret not applying for it.

Don't worry about whether or not it technically fits the boxes and what not, just apply for it and hope for the best. Good luck

jordan c:

HSC
I think a misadventure would be appropriate in this case, as nesa defines misadventure as “any other event beyond the student’s control which allegedly affected the student’s performance in the examination(s)” and this event has most definitely affected your performance. I also doubt it would be too late as students are able to submit misadventure forms on the day of their examination, so i recommend you file a form now. You can also attend your hsc examination and whichever mark is higher (your moderated marks or hsc exam mark) will be used to calculate your hsc
Yes, definitely apply for it. I didn't apply for misadventure when I sat the HSC I regret not applying for it.

Don't worry about whether or not it technically fits the boxes and what not, just apply for it and hope for the best. Good luck
Sorry to bother you guys again, but what kind of documents would I need...? I'm still waiting to hear back from my deputy principal, but would I have to get medical certificates from her GP? Or something like hospital records? I feel like I would be a bit insensitive to ask for it...

dasfas

HSC
Sorry to bother you guys again, but what kind of documents would I need...? I'm still waiting to hear back from my deputy principal, but would I have to get medical certificates from her GP? Or something like hospital records? I feel like I would be a bit insensitive to ask for it...
I'm not sure what specific documents are required, maybe have a read here?

But this is your HSC, sure, you should navigate the issue tactfully, but everyone should be willing to help imo

jordan c:

HSC
Hi again! I had a talk with my deputy principal, and she said I'm ineligible because it happened over the course of a few weeks—not immediately before an exam... Is this right? :(

If so, I guess I just got to push through the HSC. I already have documents from the hospital, but I'm just scared that I'll be wasting my time. Should I pursue this any further?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi again! I had a talk with my deputy principal, and she said I'm ineligible because it happened over the course of a few weeks—not immediately before an exam... Is this right? :(

If so, I guess I just got to push through the HSC. I already have documents from the hospital, but I'm just scared that I'll be wasting my time. Should I pursue this any further?
Sadly, the deputy principal is correct. From the link dasfas included above, NESA states that the illness and misadventure process is available to support students who are unwell or have an accident or other misadventure at the time of an HSC exam, which is consistent with the deputy principal's advice.

Perhaps you could argue that while the issue occurred a few weeks ago, it was not until just now that complications arose, consequently causing you to feel unwell/have a misadventure at the time of an HSC exam. Either way, it is crucial that you do still prepare for your HSC exams to the best of your abilities, just so that you can mitigate the impact of your misadventure application possibly being unsuccessful.

dasfas

HSC

Keep pushing for it, argue for it. They have a little set of criteria (so they can be fair to everyone) and if you fall in a grey area, it's your job to show how you fulfill the criteria. Could you perhaps get a medical cert from your GP and say that your mental health has been affected by this? Or maybe ask the deputy what documentation would you need to get for it to be valid?

Could you perhaps ask a parent to look after this for you? i.e. get the relevant certs and what not while you prep to sit your exams?

jordan c:

HSC
Sadly, the deputy principal is correct. From the link dasfas included above, NESA states that the illness and misadventure process is available to support students who are unwell or have an accident or other misadventure at the time of an HSC exam, which is consistent with the deputy principal's advice.

Perhaps you could argue that while the issue occurred a few weeks ago, it was not until just now that complications arose, consequently causing you to feel unwell/have a misadventure at the time of an HSC exam. Either way, it is crucial that you do still prepare for your HSC exams to the best of your abilities, just so that you can mitigate the impact of your misadventure application possibly being unsuccessful.
Keep pushing for it, argue for it. They have a little set of criteria (so they can be fair to everyone) and if you fall in a grey area, it's your job to show how you fulfill the criteria. Could you perhaps get a medical cert from your GP and say that your mental health has been affected by this? Or maybe ask the deputy what documentation would you need to get for it to be valid?

Could you perhaps ask a parent to look after this for you? i.e. get the relevant certs and what not while you prep to sit your exams?
Thanks for getting back. I might ask the invigilator during the first English paper about the whole thing, as even my Deputy said that the whole process and criteria is only dependent on NESA, so they're my best bet. I will still of course prepare, and I think I'm pretty good for English anyways—my internals are great—and all I need is to just brush up on memory. Maybe I can talk to my school counsellor or see my GP, though my GP knows most of what happened because we mostly go to him for everything. But again thank you guys for the great advice, I'd be lost without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)