• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

misadventure inability to study (1 Viewer)

misadventure approvial?

• yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • dont no

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
is it a misadventure if i have a doc certificate for this week (13th to 17th) cose i cant study? or is it only in examination period. ive fallen behind with lost time cose i cant stop sleeping.:confused:

Last edited:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Not quite.... unless the glasses are what allows you to read and write, so unless you have a critical prescription, you only have a slight chance, but its known that the BOS sometimes can be quite harsh or very easy when it comes to getting misadventures... it's like a lottery.

Misadventure is usually for something like death, injury, sickness during the exam period.... if you have a doctors certificate saying that you have something major, you could probably get a misadventure, and if you are sick, you could just bung it on for a bit longer and then claim misadventure for the exams.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
my eng teacher reckons its got a chance but to ask bos teacher but she wasnt there so ill see tomorrow

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i was told it's only during the exam period

N

ND

Another misadventure question (sorry crazybrad): If you're sick during an exam, and get a doctors cert. saying it would affect your performance, would they still raise your marks if you get like 95?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
would you really need your marks to be raised if they were 95? i think around 99% of canditature would like to get those sort of marks. the other 1% would already be exceeding that

N

ND

Actually, in 3u (maths) 95 isn't good, and in 4u it isn't that great.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Another misadventure question (sorry crazybrad): If you're sick during an exam, and get a doctors cert. saying it would affect your performance, would they still raise your marks if you get like 95?
they compare them with your scaled internal assessment marks, rank, etc. if your scaled was 100, u were ranked first, yet in the exam u were rankes 10th they would raise it. that's why it's important to perform to the best of your ability in internal assessments as well

why is 95 in 3u/4u crap??

Musegirl

HSC
N/A
I've developed Writers Block Syndrome, im gonna try to get a doctors certificate for that. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The illness/misadventure appeals process does not cover:

difficulties in preparation or loss of preparation time;
alleged deficiencies in tuition;
loss of study time or facilities prior to the formal study vacation;
misreading of the timetable;
misreading of examination instructions;
failure to enter for the examination in the correct course;
long-term illness such as glandular fever, asthma and epilepsy unless there is evidence of a sudden recurrence during the examination;
courses which are undertaken as a self-tuition student.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/hsc_rules_procedures_04.pdf

HannieStar

Did you know that one year, in old hsc, a text which had been taught at a few schools did not have a question on the hsc and BOS wouldnt give considerations.

N

ND

Originally posted by iambored
they compare them with your scaled internal assessment marks, rank, etc. if your scaled was 100, u were ranked first, yet in the exam u were rankes 10th they would raise it. that's why it's important to perform to the best of your ability in internal assessments as well
But what about when you're ranked first in assessment and get first (by far) in the exam, but you still have a doctors cert. saying you woudn't perform as well as you could, would they still raise it?

why is 95 in 3u/4u crap??
Well 95 in 3u only puts you at like the 90th percentile, and in 4u at the 95th percentile.
Btw, i was speaking as a 4u student, 95 in 3u for a 2u/3u student is good.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
well i have a doctors certificate following guidelines and considering it was imediately before examination period i am elegiable to apply, i was sick for 5 days in bed the week b4 the hsc. i think that will seriously affect my early exams, its up to the panel to decide now.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Regarding misadventures, it only applies if you are hindered during the actual exams... and I had a misadventure with my exams last year having a broken hand with titanium wires inserted to hold a shattered thumb together, so I couldn't write and the BOS decided that if I didn't beat my assessment mark in the exam, my exam mark would be scrapped and replaced with my asssessment mark. They don't just give out mark improvements randomly, and if you beat your assessment mark in your exams.... obviously you didn't suffer that much.

N

ND

Originally posted by Raiks
They don't just give out mark improvements randomly, and if you beat your assessment mark in your exams.... obviously you didn't suffer that much.
What if you're the only person in the class? Or you're assessment mark is like 50% higher than 2nd place?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by ND
What if you're the only person in the class? Or you're assessment mark is like 50% higher than 2nd place?
I was merely making the point that the BOS doesn't immediately give you more marks for misadventure, and what i'm saying is from my direct experience of having misadventure and what happened to me, it might be different case by case.... because afterall.... who actually knows how the BOS does anything... it's all just a hidden mystery machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)