Missing out on Orientation (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
I'll be away on holidays for the month of February but as it stands I can't get a flight back home until March 3, which means I'd miss out on O-Week at Sydney Uni (unless of course, I book with another airline, but I want the frequent-flyer points on my preferred airline).

How important is O - Week? Having been to Sydney Uni plenty of times, I'll be hardly disoriented when uni starts, but I realise the opportunity to sign up for clubs and meet people first hand before the start of session is a great opportunity lost if I can't return by the 29th Feb. Is O-Week the only time of the year we can sign up for clubs and the like?

A

adamsaclown

bustinjustin said:
Is O-Week the only time of the year we can sign up for clubs and the like?
If you goto the union website, and find out when the clubs you want to join have their meetings, you can just turn up and then sign up then

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Orientation is overrated and just an excuse for unis to suck you in thinking "oh uni is grand" before they rip your balls out through your wallet

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Orientation is overrated and just an excuse for unis to suck you in thinking "oh uni is grand" before they rip your balls out through your wallet
bahaha.

But mentoring is part of orientation, and although my mentor was shithouse, it's quite necessary...

Keen

MD
HSC
I think as our uni's website puts it "the most fun week of the year" is sort of right.
It's the only week where you don't have any classes, don't do any work, just bludge around uni meeting people, see people having fun and doing silly things, bands playing, fun competitions. It's sort of like the show at your uni.

The signing up for clubs is a small part of it that yeah they'll be happy to take you anytime, it's just that they have stands there.

Some classes also have sort of 'compulsory' classes, but for most courses it's just an intro. I know for med we HAD TO, HAD TO come to our o'week stuff or we'd be in big trouble, but I don't know what you're doing and I'd check you uni's O'week site (probably at the end of January).

Overall it's a lot of fun and if you don't already have uni friends you can meet them (with bands - sometimes half decent, and pubcrawls etc) so I guess it's just missing out on a fun week more than you'll die if you miss it.

Keen

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I'm going to miss out on my uni o-week activities (at least my main campus activities) cos I'll still be at home working, i'm not moving down until the day before I start. I need the money bitch!

HSC
N/A
... said:
MQ's o-week is pretty shit, cos we put all our money into conception day instead
But what a grand conception day we had!

PwarYuex said:
bahaha.

But mentoring is part of orientation, and although my mentor was shithouse, it's quite necessary...
I was lucky and had a great tutor - we even shared one lecture together. I remember calling her up a few times because I couldn't find a particular building... hahaha! I puffyheart my mentor!

HSC
Why are you talking about orientation when you don't even know if you have gotten into your course yet?

bustinjustin

HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Why are you talking about orientation when you don't even know if you have gotten into your course yet?
It's inevitable that I'll be going to uni, and I needed to consider the dates of Orientation week because for a while, I couldn;t get a flight back home until 3rd March. Also, I don't mean to sound arrogant but I'm pretty sure I'll get into my preferred course at Sydney Uni (B Economic and Social Science)

And yes Wolfowitz, O-Week is a bit of a piss up (sleepover at the Manning Bar! I'm coming back just for that haha...)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)