Missing School (1 term of HSC course) (1 Viewer)

WISHiKNEW2

HSC
Hey,
I have been pretty unwell recently and am currently in hospital.
I was at school for the first couple of weeks this term, but didn't really get much done as I was unwell then too.
I probably won't be back at school until the final few days of term, having missed most of the term's content and all of my first HSC assessments. I am doing 13 units and really want a good ATAR (95+).
It is term 4, so the first term of the HSC course.

How is missing so much school going to affect my ATAR?

Thank you so much!

Edit: My subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Maths Ext 1, English Ext 2 and Music 1

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
In terms of how it will affect you, I assume you’re going to have to put in extra work and catch up during the rest of the terms when you do get back opposed to the rest of your peers who will be ahead and have already learnt the first term content. Double the work for you then, but when you do your first set of assessment/exams in term 2 of year 12 after getting back, you will most likely get estimated marks for the ones you missed out on in term 1 which will be based on how you went in term 2 after you get back. Not that big of a deal tho, 95+ is still easily achievable (I know someone who did so in a similar situation) if you put in the work and effort for when you do get back, may have to be during summer holidays too. But yeah, missing so much school in your case is not going to affect your atar assuming you put in the work after you're better.

Last edited:

izzy_m

HSC
I think 95+ is still achievable. I would try not to worry about it too much your health is way more important and there are ways you can apply for special consideration. You have a legitimate reason for missing all this work so your school should look after you (mine did when I got very sick during trials). As far as these assessments go if you submit all the required paperwork to your school they should give you an estimate based on either how you go in your half yearlys or the year as a whole.

In terms of catching up on missed work, if you manage to make it back for the last few days go and speak to all of your teachers and see what advice they can give you for catching up (they should be able to give you notes from what you have missed as well as questions you can try). I think it is reasonably realistic that you can catch back up over the summer holidays but you are going to have to be prepared to put in a reasonable amount of work. Depending on how much are struggling with the content you may want to ask your teachers if they are able to give you any extra individual help or you might want to think about getting a tutor to help teach you the content. I wouldn't worry too much about being behind your peers. I know a lot of people who did absolutely nothing over the summer holidays and still got 95+ ATARs so if you take that time to work on properly catching up you shouldn't be too disadvantaged.

I don't know what subjects you are doing but I would potentially suggest trying to cut down on your units. 13 units is a heavy workload. If you love all your units and cannot decide which one(s) to drop then maybe this isn't the best advice but I think it is something you could consider.

Also if you are sick for a long period of time (I think 6 months) or your illness is recurring throughout the year you might want to talk to your school about your eligibility to apply for EAS through UAC which could give you some bonus points. Just make sure if you want to apply for this you have Dr's certificates/notes to document your illness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)