Missing tutes? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey Guys

I have a lil problem, I've missed 4 tutes so far, when the minimum to attend is 8 out of 11.... i've been so sick.. damn weather..

what do I dooo, I think i will be ok to attend the rest of the tutes which makes it a total of 7 out of 11.. ? Will i automatically fail the unit or is it just in the unit outline to scare students? Has anyone been in my position and if so what did you do?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I think they accept absences if you give them a medical certificate.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
go to the doctor and get them to fill out the PROFESSIONAL PRACTITIONERS CERTIFICATE on the faculty's website. they won't accept a normal doctors cert.

HSC
I have already been to the doctor though, isnt it too late to get a doc certificate?

would talking to the tutor be a waste of time?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
apparently the faculty of economics and business ruled that it's unequitable to demand 80% participation. you can take them on if they fail you, as attendance is no longer required for tutes (unless you want the participation mark)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i havent attended 4, for no medical reason, just um. other reasons.

for psych

i think my tutor is fairly easy going though im going to talk to her in next weeks tutorial and make sure im not going to get an absent fail.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
stazi said:
apparently the faculty of economics and business ruled that it's unequitable to demand 80% participation. you can take them on if they fail you, as attendance is no longer required for tutes (unless you want the participation mark)
Yeah, i was wondering why this requirement had been removed from UOS outlines. Any idea on where this info can be backed up officially ie. the USYD website?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lolz sup fag.

my Commercial Law lecturer told me that this is the case but I haven't been able to find any info to back it up. All my other subjects still have the attendance requirements in their UOS outlines, though. I think it's the case of the lecturers wanting attendance, but the board thinking it's silly.

EDIT: just realised CLAW1001 and MKTG3117 don't have compulsory attendance listed.

oh and accounting have updated the UOS outline:

Where you have attended less than 50% of the tutorials, you will not be eligible to pass this unit of study. Your preparation and participation in tutorials is assessed as outlined above.
then right underneath it, it says:
Students must attend at least 80% of tutorials to pass the course of study
lolz contradicktion

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
That's not technically a contradiction.

If you have to attend 80% to pass, then you're not going to be eligible to pass if you attend <50%<80%, are you?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
withoutaface said:
That's not technically a contradiction.

If you have to attend 80% to pass, then you're not going to be eligible to pass if you attend <50%<80%, are you?
Nerd.

And that ACCT1001 50% requirement has not changed since 2005 when I did it.

I'm doing ACCT3011, GOVT2440 and ECON1001 and none of them seem to have it listed as a requirement whereas last year id say pretty much all the subjects I took did list it. They are still marking attendance in each class though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
have all your subs removed participation reqs? Acct1001 and claw1001 no longer have particigaytion

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
little-rat-boi said:
I have already been to the doctor though, isnt it too late to get a doc certificate?

would talking to the tutor be a waste of time?
Go back to the same doctor and ask them for a backdated medical certificate. Or if they won't backdate the cert, then get a letter from them stating that you saw them on such and such date and that you were indeed unfit for work/study.

If its an official letter etc. they won't be able to disallow it, as you were actually sick.

HSC
I emailed the tutor and just told them I was unable to attend the tute due to sickness blah blah blah... and he replies 'No probelm. Hope your get well soon.'

is it a sign I wont get marked down...? LOL

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
No mandatory attendance for acct3011 or econ1001 according to emails. govt2440 says that the 80% requirement is still valid though nothing in the UOS. perhaps an error on the part of the govt tutor who i emailed? interesting to see it has been scrapped from many courses though.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
from the econ/bus student study guide:

Attendance at university through lectures/seminars/tutorials and workshops is essential to the completion of most award courses. Attendance requirements differ according to the award course and unit of study.

Steps to follow
The student is required to comply with the attendance requirements stated in the Unit of Study Outline. The penalty for lack of attendance is usually also stated in the Unit of Study Outline.

The rules
As a general rule, students who do not attend at least 80% of the tutorials for a unit of study will not be eligible to receive a Pass grade.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Apparently the ruling was made just before semester started, so it may not have been considered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)