• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mod 5 ice table (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 18.44.43.png
for this qn, why do we take keq=[c}/AB?
because we have C initially added, wouldnt this render the reactants the products and therefore keq is the reciprocal of the forward rxn?
I'm confused bc I don't see why we'd take C as the products here

saltedparsley

HSC
from what i can gather, they want the Keq for the reaction as written (i.e. forward reaction), so yes Keq = [C]^2/[A_2] as this is the actual formula for Keq.
if you started off with C, you'd essentially flip the reaction so then Keq for that reverse reaction would be the reciprocal, but only for that reverse reaction (i.e. for 2C <--> A_2 + B)
so since the reaction they give you is the forward reaction and they want the Keq for that, you'd treat C as the product since it's the product in the forward reaction.
essentially what you could do is find the Keq of the reverse reaction using C as the reactant with the info given, then take the reciprocal of that, which would give you Keq of the forward reaction as written.
hopefully this makes some sense.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
from what i can gather, they want the Keq for the reaction as written (i.e. forward reaction), so yes Keq = [C]^2/[A_2] as this is the actual formula for Keq.
if you started off with C, you'd essentially flip the reaction so then Keq for that reverse reaction would be the reciprocal, but only for that reverse reaction (i.e. for 2C <--> A_2 + B)
so since the reaction they give you is the forward reaction and they want the Keq for that, you'd treat C as the product since it's the product in the forward reaction.
essentially what you could do is find the Keq of the reverse reaction using C as the reactant with the info given, then take the reciprocal of that, which would give you Keq of the forward reaction as written.
hopefully this makes some sense.
ahhh so if they didnt give me the eqn, I can assume the C is a reactant or lhs of the eqn so keq=AB/C?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)