Mod B - can someone please explain to me what this quote means? (1 Viewer)

HSC
The question is:

"An understanding of the value of integrity and interconnectedness can be revealed through the text’s form and language."

From the context of your critical study, to what extent does this view accord with your interpretation of selected poems by TS Eliot?

have literally no idea what to make of this quote. any ideas are appreciated, my ideas revolve around alienation/loss of individual identity/disorientation of the inner psyche

thanks in advance

beetree1

HSC
You may choose to talk about Hollow Men and Magi
  • integrity: wholeness of humanity, connected through spiritual awakening
  • form: talk about how both poems use dramatic monologues but HM uses it in a way such that it shows the isolation and disconnected nature of the modern society, whereas Magi uses it to narrate the human psyche on a journey towards spiritual connection
  • language: the way he uses different techniques eg objective correlatives divert audience's expectations as it subverts his era's Romanticism poetry
Overall, through his poetry, you can see that he uses form and language to exhibit the desolation of human existence, which can be alleviated through the painful yet essential journey for spiritual guidance if that makes sense

HSC
You may choose to talk about Hollow Men and Magi
  • integrity: wholeness of humanity, connected through spiritual awakening
  • form: talk about how both poems use dramatic monologues but HM uses it in a way such that it shows the isolation and disconnected nature of the modern society, whereas Magi uses it to narrate the human psyche on a journey towards spiritual connection
  • language: the way he uses different techniques eg objective correlatives divert audience's expectations as it subverts his era's Romanticism poetry
Overall, through his poetry, you can see that he uses form and language to exhibit the desolation of human existence, which can be alleviated through the painful yet essential journey for spiritual guidance if that makes sense
makes sense thank you

thinkinghard

HSC
"An understanding of the value of integrity and interconnectedness can be revealed through the text’s form and language."
I would choose to talk about how his common representation of urban decay through his body of work enriches our understanding of the impact of modernity on the human psyche. I would rest my points on form and emphasises how Eliot's interconnection between his poems achieves textual integrity which is essential to our understanding of his work. For poems, I would probably do Prufrock and Hollow Men (talk about how our reading of one poem informs our understanding of the other as well as the importance of interconnection through representations of the consequence of isolation + loss of personal integrity --> becoming the 'Hollow Men'). Two integrated paragraphs or 2 individual and 1 integrated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)