mod b (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
im just memorising thesis statements and quotes for like 3-4 themes + critics. hby, also whats ur prescribed text?

stressedadfff

HSC
im just memorising thesis statements and quotes for like 3-4 themes + critics. hby, also whats ur prescribed text?
mines emma, im planning on memorising three themne paragraphs - social class, psychology of protagonist and patrarchy but i was thinking how would i adapt that if the quesiton is on a specifc theme or character

Wizjaro

HSC
I'm memorising quotes on 3 paragraphs with an overarching theme, so if its a theme questions I just mould the theme with what the theme question asks for. ie lets say overarching theme was power and the question specifically asks for love, I would argue about the desire(love) for power which is intrinsic. After practicing a lot you can mould almost any theme to fit any question.

stressedadfff

HSC
I'm memorising quotes on 3 paragraphs with an overarching theme, so if its a theme questions I just mould the theme with what the theme question asks for. ie lets say overarching theme was power and the question specifically asks for love, I would argue about the desire(love) for power which is intrinsic. After practicing a lot you can mould almost any theme to fit any question.
how would you moule a theme paragraph to lets say a question on appearance v reality

Wizjaro

HSC
What is the theme? Also your themes should build on top of each other so lets say using my power example, my first para might be something like discussing the complex reasons people search for power, and my next one might be how this power manifests inself in the context and my third para might be what are the greater consequences of this power on the individual and/or collective.

Wizjaro

HSC
Lets use my example of power for instance and the question was appearance vs reality, then I would make the whole essay about the illusion of power(aka arguing about how the power may be fictive and act as a distraction from more dire concerns). But it really does depend on your text and requires a very deep understanding of your text and the niches you can exploit.

stressedadfff

HSC
What is the theme? Also your themes should build on top of each other so lets say using my power example, my first para might be something like discussing the complex reasons people search for power, and my next one might be how this power manifests inself in the context and my third para might be what are the greater consequences of this power on the individual and/or collective.
hmm im doing social class, character transfromation and patriarchy shittt

zizi2003_

HSC
hmm im doing social class, character transfromation and patriarchy shittt
dude for emma they cant go any more specific beyond these themes. Tho they will most likely ask about the distinctive qualities of Emma (so remember stuff like irony/satire, depiction of social realism, use of FID, characterisation etc that facilitate Austen's satirical exploration/criticism of/commentary on *your memorised themes*)
also if it's character specific:
- it would usually be a 'to what extent' question. Thus, u can disagree with the question if it's 'to what extent' to show u have wider knowledge/ur 'personal opinions of the text' (which is basically what mod B is). So eg, if they ask about let's say how Jane Fairfax is a character foil to Emma, you could say that whilst Jane is employed as a foil to expose Emma's naivety, it is also her Emma's interactions with Mr. Knightley/Harriet that reveal her patronising superiority...and then u can bring your memorised themes here
- that being said, have a quote from different characters in your paragraphs, for example Miss Bates coz shes disregarded lmao shes a good one for social class/gender/marriage
- make sure ur paragraphs also talk abt the Emma's form/genre coz they ask questions on this. Eg, you could link it being a bildungsroman genre to your theme of Emma's character transformation/growth, as well as social class (how Emma grows to be more accepting), whereas with form/structure you could also link this to Emma's growth (eg, the progression of each volume facilitating Emma's growth or smth like that).
-Doing multiple practice questions (or just make mindmaps/brainstorms/essay plans if ur lazy like me) to see how you can adapt your memorised themes to the question

Last edited:

Wizjaro

HSC
I agree with what Zizi has said. Also it seems your themes are all kinda underpinned by the idea of power. Social class and patriarch being obvious and character transformation could refer to her gaining power in some way(soz don't do Emma). But yea would recommend following what Zizi has said since they seem to be doing your text.

zizi2003_

HSC
I agree with what Zizi has said. Also it seems your themes are all kinda underpinned by the idea of power. Social class and patriarch being obvious and character transformation could refer to her gaining power in some way(soz don't do Emma). But yea would recommend following what Zizi has said since they seem to be doing your text.
yeah definitely!!
For power you could definitely say how Austen's novel 'Emma' is representative of powerful women (Emma as an upper-middle gentry class woman, mistress of Hartfield...). Even in a more metaphoric sense u could say Emma has great power and influence over the lives of those below her (like Harriet, Miss Bates...). And counteract this by linking it to ur theme of patriarchy: that nonetheless, Emma is still 'tamed' by Mr. Knightley in a way as he continues to morally guide her in various circumstances.

for appearances verses reality: you could easily link this to Emma's psychology/transformation but also social class. Eg, Emma reinforces a behavioural code/etiquette of who's behaviour is 'right' and 'wrong' (eg, when she mocks Mrs. Elton + Miss Bates), yet is hypocritical in a way as she rebels against her own morality (clearly seen in the Box Hill scene where she just loses it LMAO). To link this to social class u could say how Emma bases her class consciousness on appearances (eg, when she calls Mr. Martin a 'vulgar farmer'), but Mr. Knightley immediately challenges her narrow mindedness (through which Austen encourages her to value moral grounding in lieu of class/appearances...) ++ motif of Emma's 'blindness' (she never seems to know the reality of Jane and Frank's relationship, or Mr. Elton's with Harriet)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)