Mod C đŸ€ź (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
My prescribed texts for mod C:
‘Politics and the English Language’ by George Orwell, ‘Father and Child’ by Gwen Harwood, ‘Stamp Collecting’ by Boey Kim Cheng, ‘A Home in Fiction’ by Geraldine Brooks and ‘Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice’ by Nam Le.

Does anyone have brief summaries and key features of each text pls and thanks

and which ones would u recommnd

nsw..wollongong

HSC
One-linerOrwell examines the degradation of the English language and its capacity to conceal the writer’s meaning rather than express it. Orwell argues that the English language is “in a bad way” and presents ideas to fix it.
Ideas
  • Essence of language
  • Modernism
  • Euphemisms
  • Politics
Techniques
  • Direct speech using the active voice
  • Tone of disgust
  • Examples
  • Ethos, pagos, logos
  • Cyclical relationship between the degradation of language and degradation of the modern world
Quotes“Our civilization is decadent, and our language - so the argument runs - must inevitably share in the general collapse.”
“It becomes ugly because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts.”
“Now that I have made this catalogue of swindles and perversions.”
Extra“Living in an era swamped by politics, war and literature he believes that if we can fix ‘modern english’ we can take a step towards ‘political regeneration’ and ‘meaningfulness”.

One-liner‘A Home in Fiction’ ponders the role of storytelling to shape collective societal meaning, exploring the innate values that comprise the human truth. The boundaries between truth and fiction are challenged through this emotion evoking discursive text.
Ideas
  • Love of language
  • The power of language as a vehicle for exploration of societal concerns
  • Boundaries between storytelling and fact
  • Quest for truth
  • Female protagonists silenced by men
Techniques
  • Personal anecdote
  • Informal register and conversational tone
  • metaphor/motif
Quotes“Why should a novelist need facts? Isn't fiction facts antonym?”
“It wasn’t that I understood her work, but I understood her vision.”
“I am after nothing less than eternal truths; what is this world?”
ExtraShe speaks to the significance of literature in answering the large questions of who we are and how we should live.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
‘Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice’ by Nam Le.

Does anyone have brief summaries and key features of each text pls and thanks

and which ones would u recommnd
Love and Honour and blah blah blah

Main ideas: search for identity, exploration of conflictual familial relationship

Extended motif: conveys central idea of personal conflict and identity - fire (“stepping through the smoke 
 and flame-tinged eddies”) represents cleansing of personal self.

Narrative structure w/ signposting and metanarrative helps provide backstory. Dunno if you use it in your Mod C story, but I do [use a metanarrative] and this technique helps with the reflection.

Pathetic fallacy + imagery (“the sound of rain [and smell] of wet leaves”) establishes context and mood.

Hope this helps kinda - just took bits out of my reflection since I'm doing Love and Honour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)