Model demonstrating Meiosis (1 Viewer)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
In the Blueprint of Life syllabus it states:

"Students:
process information from secondary sources to construct a model that demonstrates meiosis and the processes of crossing over, segregation of chromosomes and the production of haploid gametes."

I remember the model we did. It was using two different coloured pipe cleaners and twisting them together somehow.
Thing is, i cant remember any of the details about it and i cant find anything in my book. Can someone help me by going through the model again? or giving another model if there is one?

Thanks.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Um, I suppose.

We used plasticines to make up the chromosomes. Well, supposing you can imagine the rest, very simple.

Qn

HSC
I have this task (as i'm sure many people do) coming up in a few weeks where we have to create a model showing crossing over etc.
I'm considering using pipe cleaners for the model but I'm not too sure what i am going to do atm.
Any tips or advice please - post up ! :p

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well you can cut segments out of pipe cleaners, which represent the chromosomes, and use sticky tape to blend the different coloured segments. This helps to represent the exchanging of genetic information between the chromosomes undertaking crossing over.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I did the pipe cleaner thing.

I used pipe cleaners for chromosomes (i.e. bending into an X for the metaphase chromosome, cutting short ones to show spindle migration, etc)
and then used pom poms for gametes.

Nake

HSC
so pipe cleaners for chromosomes and just tape them into place. the teacher is letting us draw the cells on and what not, just the 3 sets of chromosomes need to be 3D sort of...

oh btw, HAY MATTY KUEN. its nake :)

Qn

HSC
I have found that plasticine > pipe cleaners

So much easier to assemble and show crossing over, just shove em together :p. None of that fiddly twisting or taping crap !

:spam: ?

yousifodeh12

HSC
i have to do the same model, and i wanna know how many steps i need to show.
do i need to show the substages of each stage

samthebear

HSC
at least you guys got pipe cleaners. My bio teacher couldnt find the pipe cleaners and we had to use either popsicle sticks, little match sticks (the ones without phoshate on the end) or straws =.=
Imo, pipe cleaners > plasticine
plasticine gets everywhere and its all yucky. plus the mixing of colours gets on my nerves.

As for crossing over with pipe cleaners, cut off the bits that are supposed to cross over and just twist them onto the 'new' chromosome. Dont use sticky tape, it wont stick very well.

As for the stages of miosis, i dont know what you mean by substages but i do know you need to show crossing over in the diagram along with everything else.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
This experiment is retarded.
Our teacher used freezer bag ties in class with us for the experiment.

HSC
thats a different activity
lol yeah i know.
but my cousin didnt have to model protein synthesis, only meiosis.
we havent even gotten to modelling meiosis yet but does everyone have to model protein synthesis?

samthebear

HSC
my class is just starting the dot point under which the modeling protein synthesis activity is under - so no. i dont think everyone knows how to do that yet. the protein synthesis activity is in the dot point after the meiosis activity, so if you havent covered the meiosis activity i doubt you'd have covered the protein synthesis activity. unless for some reason your bio teacher likes doing things out of order then you might've done the protein synthesis activity before the meiosis one =/

HSC
LOL yeah! we're doing the protein synthesis one as an assignment over the holidays.
we havent made a meiosis model yet.

aaminah

HSC
in my school, they rotate every year btwn modelling protein synthesis ad modelling meiosis...we have meiosis this yr...:bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)