Modelling Semiconductors (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
help guys,

i have an assessment coming up and we have to construct a physical model of a semi-conductor. any ideas? here is the marking criteria (minimum requirements):

1) movement of holes and electrons modelled
2) electric field switched on/off; switch included
3) holes and electrons same size
4) model includes three dimensions when modelling behaviour
5) valence and conduction bands are accurately modelled.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. i think that no.1 is something on a molecular scale whereas no. 5 is something along the lines of an atomic scale. how can i do both?!? i am confused.

thanx heaps :) :)

sfx05

HSC
I have to do the same thing. My marking criteria just says we will have to:

Perform an investigation to model the behaviour of a semi-conductor, including the creation of a hole or positive charge on the atom that has lost the electron and the movement of the electrons and holes in opposite directions when an electric field is applied across the semi-conductor
Which is just the syllabus dot point.

Check out the CSU site if you havent already for a brief experiment using egg cartons and ball-bearings at:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/core/implementation/9_4_3/943net.html#net5

If anyone has written up an alternative experiment, or one that has an aim, hypothesis, conclusion etc and wouldnt mind posting it up, that would be a great help. Any links to relevant info would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

insideemptyness

Smellypants
HSC
re: modeling semiconductors

i've got the same assessment, modeling the holes etc etc
my teacher has also given us a hint and said it's got something to do with a computer program that is on almost every computer??? i can't think of it
any ideas???

sfx05

HSC
Thats interesting because this prac test is in the computer rooms, whereas none of the other ones were. Sorry, i still have no ideas....

skyby

HSC
i have the same thing... though i want to be creative and the egg carton thing most ppl do..... ne1 go ne other ideas??

rama_v

HSC
insideemptyness said:
i've got the same assessment, modeling the holes etc etc
my teacher has also given us a hint and said it's got something to do with a computer program that is on almost every computer??? i can't think of it
any ideas???
Maybe your teacher was talking about solitaire? not sure...you know how you move the cards from the right to the top, maybe it has something to do with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)