Moderated Mark (1 Viewer)

HELP NEEDED

hey, i know that my school chem mark will be around the low 70s or 60s. However, i know that i am just one hell of a lazy bitch. IF i were to get in the high 80s for the Chem HSC what do you guys reckon my moderated mark will be?

COMPREHENSIVE

It will all depend on the following :
1- Your rank.
2- Your mark in comparisson with other students at your school. eg. if you come second with 70% but first got 90% then this is not great.
3- How your schools total asssesment marks compare with the marks they recieve in their HSC. eg. if five students recieve a total assesment mark of 300 but a hsc total of 350 then their is an extra 50 marks to share around.

there for by getting 80% it will slightly increase your moderated marks but it will also depend on the other students results in the HSC.

GOOD LUCK

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just a quick note... #2 is wrong - relative differences between students are not taken into account unless someone appeals their mark.

The major influencing factors are your assessment ranking, the average exam mark for your class and the top exam mark for your class. There's a great deal of documentation in the "scaling/uai" section of the main website explaining the process.

COMPREHENSIVE

If you come second by 0.01% then you would recieve practicaly the same mark for your assesment as 1st place

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Comprehensive, that's wrong - the relative differences between students are not preserved in the moderation process.

Coming second with 90 is no different to coming second with 80 - they'll both end up with same moderated mark according to school exam performance.

COMPREHENSIVE

Comprehensive, that's wrong - the relative differences between students are not preserved in the moderation process.

From what our carrer's adviser and other teachers explained to the me it was made clear that the gaps between students marks were kept but may be slightly increased or decreased by the schools peformance in the HSC.

My careers advisor has a lot of experience but he may be wrong.

kate

so if you come second in assessments and then come first in the hsc ?? what then?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Comprehensive:
I quote from an official Board document (a copy of which is available on our site) - "The relative differences (or gaps) between the students based on the school assessments are not generally preserved in the moderating process, although they will be approximately the same if the raw school assessments and the aligned examination marks have similar distribution shapes."

Kate: Your exam mark will always be your exam mark, regardless of your assessments. If you were ranked second assessment-wise, you'll most likely receive a moderated assessment mark that is a few marks below your exam mark (because it was the top). This will vary depending on how many students do the course at your school and how they performed as a group on the HSC exam.

Dumbarse

does any one else agree that it sucks bad that your marks can be downgraded because of fellow class members, that is predjudice for dumbarse kids seeing the hopes of the genieus's getting good marks depends on how smart your class mates are.
It's saying u have to attend a top skool to attain the marks u truelly deserve

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your marks are only 'downgraded' if your school marked too leniently in the first place - otherwise, your assessment marks would have already been at the correspondingly low level.

Any 'genius' will be ranked first in their class and will be unaffected by the performance of their classmates anyway.

You don't have to attend a top school, the process works both ways.

Dumbarse

what about the slightly lower ranked than 1st who may still be a genieus. it should be on your performances compared to other students not by skool classmates who might be a dumb, why should them not trying as hard as u hinder your results
u gotta admit Lazdog the system sux

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmm, well, alright, I'll concede that point - the system might be slightly flawed in that regard.

However, I think it would be safe to say that it is only like that because a fairer system hasn't been thought of yet. Like it or not, the current system is fair when it comes to standardising assessment marks between schools (which is what it was designed for).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)