moderation and scaling? (1 Viewer)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im rlly confused abt what the difference is ngl. also what effects do ur internals have on ur externals (saw someone else post abt this but I'm still a bit confused).
if u stuff up ur internals with a couple of subjects, can u still get 99+ atar?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Moderation is a process that is done by NESA to determine students' Assessment Marks. The Assessment Mark is the mark that reflects a student's internal performance in a particular subject and contributes 50% of their overall HSC mark for that subject, the other 50% coming from the Examination Mark (i.e. HSC exam mark). Moderation uses two elements in determining a student's Assessment Mark in a particular subject:
  • The student's internal rank.
  • Examination Marks achieved in that student's cohort (including their own).
Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark (i.e. that of the student ranked first) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort. Similarly, the lowest Assessment Mark (i.e. that of the student ranked last) is adjusted to equal the lowest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort. Assessment Marks of students who rank in between may not necessarily equal their equivalent Examination Marks, although they will be similar. For example, suppose that you are ranked first in a subject, and that the highest HSC exam mark achieved by a student in your cohort was 95. This mark will also become your Assessment Mark.

On the other hand, an Assessment Mark is not used to determine an Examination Mark. An Examination Mark in a particular subject depends solely on the student's own performance in their HSC exam for a particular subject. It is not affected by factors such as their rank relative to their cohort or their school rank.

Scaling is a process that is done by UAC in determining students' ATARs. It is different from moderation and uses raw HSC marks (i.e. they are not aligned, as opposed to the marks that you receive in your HSC results), which are not reported to students.

Whether unfavourable performance in your internal tasks in a couple of subjects limits your ability to achieve a 99+ ATAR can depend on the effect this had on your rank, as well as the subject's unit value (for instance, unfavourable performance in a 2-unit subject can have a worse effect on your ATAR than unfavourable performance in a 1-unit subject). However, with HSC exams contributing the remaining 50%, not to mention the fact that many students were able to make a comeback under similar circumstances, you should hopefully still have a chance of achieving an ATAR that high.

I hope this helps! 😄

nsw..wollongong

HSC
thank you so much jimmy! suppose most people bomb out in the trials and the person ranked first gets an 85, does this mean that the highest examination mark will be an 85? what if people pull themselves up by the time the hsc starts?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thank you so much jimmy! suppose most people bomb out in the trials and the person ranked first gets an 85, does this mean that the highest examination mark will be an 85? what if people pull themselves up by the time the hsc starts?
No worries!

No, the specific mark achieved in a trial (or any other internal assessment task/exam for that matter) does not matter. What matters is the rank that it reflects. Using your example, the 85 itself does not matter, what matters is that it indicates that the student who achieved it is ranked first.

If a student effectively prepares for their HSC exams, then they are likely to perform well in them, resulting in favourable Examination Marks. They are determined based on the student's own performance, i.e. separately from internal ranks.

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
in your school cohort, all your ranks are recorded and the size of the gaps between ranks are also recorded and they are sent to nesa. the actual marks themselves have no effect, only the rank and the size of the gaps.

ALIGNMENT: you will then all sit the hsc and get a raw mark for the exam, this mark will not be reported (you have to pay for it). after this, your raw exam mark is aligned to get your reported Exam mark.

MODERATION: your moderated assessment mark (the reported internal mark) are then based on your school cohorts' Exam marks (the aligned ones that are reported). rank 1 gets the highest exam mark that someone in your school got as their moderated Assesment mark, and rank last gets the bottom mark (where possible). all other ranks get moderated assessment marks (reported internal mark) based on the marks people in your school cohort got in the HSC. These assessment marks reported are based on your own rank and the gap between ranks. The total of the aligned exam marks for your school has to equal to the total of the moderated assessment marks.

these two marks for each individual are averaged (and rounded up if needed), to get your final HSC mark.

SCALING: these hsc marks are sent to UAC who scale each of your marks and the best 10 units are put towards an aggregate out of 500 (50 per unit). this aggregate determines your atar!

nsw..wollongong

HSC
No worries!

No, the specific mark achieved in a trial (or any other internal assessment task/exam for that matter) does not matter. What matters is the rank that it reflects. Using your example, the 85 itself does not matter, what matters is that it indicates that the student who achieved it is ranked first.

If a student effectively prepares for their HSC exams, then they are likely to perform well in them, resulting in favourable Examination Marks. They are determined based on the student's own performance, i.e. separately from internal ranks.
sorry wait one more q: can someone in the hsc surpass the person ranked first? say I'm ranked 4th after trials, is there any way i can beat the person in rank 1 in the hsc considering all the moderation stuff?

raspberriesandpears

HSC
sorry wait one more q: can someone in the hsc surpass the person ranked first? say I'm ranked 4th after trials, is there any way i can beat the person in rank 1 in the hsc considering all the moderation stuff?
yes it is totally possible. my friend state ranked last year and she wasn't ranked internally first for that course. the person who was internally first did not state rank (although im sure she did well). so you could totally perform better both in the hsc and overall :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If the other student's final internal rank is higher than yours, they will most likely receive an Assessment Mark higher than yours. However, you can definitely outperform them in the HSC exam. While they will receive an Assessment Mark higher than yours, you still have a chance to receive a higher overall HSC mark than them, provided that the difference between your Examination Mark and theirs is big enough.

For example, if the other student's Assessment Mark ends up being 90, and your ends up being 85, but their Examination Mark ends up being 85 and yours ends up being 95, you will receive a higher overall HSC mark than them, as follows:

nsw..wollongong

HSC
If the other student's final internal rank is higher than yours, they will most likely receive an Assessment Mark higher than yours. However, you can definitely outperform them in the HSC exam. While they will receive an Assessment Mark higher than yours, you still have a chance to receive a higher overall HSC mark than them, provided that the difference between your Examination Mark and theirs is big enough.

For example, if the other student's Assessment Mark ends up being 90, and your ends up being 85, but their Examination Mark ends up being 85 and yours ends up being 95, you will receive a higher overall HSC mark than them, as follows:

OH I FINALLY GOT IT thank youuu!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)