Modern history 2005, not running! (1 Viewer)

jduderocks

HSC
Hi;

I feel much maligned, my school isn't planning on running modern history, the 3 top history students have all taken it, as may 1 or 2 other lower grade students, and the school wont run it for us, any hints on how to get our course?

Thanks

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'd take it straight to the principal (maybe speak with the yr advisor or patron first if they are reasonable people. If they arent, dont bother). Express your willingness to undertake the course and also show them your capability. Round up the other students to go with you. It's sorta a collective bargaining thing. Power in numbers :p If need be, compromise and find a way in whcih you can take the course without regular formal classes. If worse comes to worse, you'll have to drag your parents into this.

I should have asked this at the beginning. Why arent they running it? Teacher shortages? Lack of students? Have they specifically told you why they arent?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
is it less than 12? I thought it was less than 10? Either way, I guess jduderocks still loses out. Damn. If there IS a spare teacher (slim chance i know), technically, they could still run it. I have classes with 5-6 students.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm not sure if they offer it through Open High School, but maybe you could do it via correspondence with a formal class held with a teacher once or twice a week or something... if you really show that you want to do it they may be able to figure something out. Find a modern teacher who is willing to take you, and get them to help you figure something out.

adgala

HSC
well, you could always learn the whole course yourself and do it individually without the school knowing

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
You have to register for the course in your HSC application.

julia_jules

HSC
N/A
It may seem like a bummer now, but be warned - modern history involves literally about twice the work of most of my other subjects!
a lot of its really interesting, but you have to put in a lot of work - that's what I've found at least.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
not really. Just need to read alot and be interested.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
only 3 people in my year wanted to do earth and environmental science so we went to another school once a week and that worked out fine..maybe you could try something like that? or do distant or something?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I had the exact same problem, however, I now do Distance Ed. Now that I'm starting the HSC year I'm considering dropping it because the DE work load is absolutely huge, however, they do give you a bit of le-way.

Try DE, its cool, and MH is a great topic. If you can get someone else to do DE with you it would make life MUCH easier for you.

Candypants

Just keep campaigning. If they do decide to run it, you might not get all the periods as in-class teaching, you know? They might only actually teach you for half the time, and the rest of the time, you'll have to teach yourself.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
jduderocks said:
Hi;

I feel much maligned, my school isn't planning on running modern history, the 3 top history students have all taken it, as may 1 or 2 other lower grade students, and the school wont run it for us, any hints on how to get our course?

Thanks
As someone mentioned, correspondence is a very good way to go if your school won't offer the course. I did mine through Karabar Dist. Ed school, and they were great. If you're passionate about doing history then I suggest you talk to someone at your school about doing it by correspondence.

blacmajic

HSC
N/A
yeah, you can do an open high school thing, i did it for french, its not that bad!
or, a couple of years ago a guy wanted to do ancient history but our school didnt have it as a subject, so he made a petition and got as many people to sign as he could, first were the people who wanted to do the course that yr, then the people in younger yrs who were planning on doing it, then people who just thought the school should have it. this guy wanted it really badly and he spoke to the principle handed in the petition, and now our school has ancient history!!( which i started then dropped last yr- too boring!!!)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Cactus said:
As someone mentioned, correspondence is a very good way to go if your school won't offer the course. I did mine through Karabar Dist. Ed school, and they were great. If you're passionate about doing history then I suggest you talk to someone at your school about doing it by correspondence.
I do mine through Camden Haven Distance Education Centre. Hi Mrs. Hetherington!!!

nickw...

HSC
N/A
U can arraqnge to do it at another school, u just have to go there for the lessons, mission though.

danie

a fool
HSC
one of the reasons could be because of clashing courses between classes and students who want to do it. i know it's a bit late now to make an appeal but you could try the open learning. i highly recommend doing history it's shitload of work but very liberating.

AlysonD

HSC
I take Japanese through DE based in Ballina; if you absolutely can't get Modern at school you should definitely try the DE course. I also take Modern History and I'd die if I couldn't take it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)