Modern History and Legal Studies Options (1 Viewer)

mlleaicha95

HSC
Hi everyone,

In the event that your teacher chooses an Option in either Modern History or Legal Studies for the class (e.g. Arab-Israeli Conflict, Consumers), and you are not satisfied with this option (perhaps it doesn't interst you at all, you feel you could reach your potential better with another option etc), what are the rulings about writing on a different option in the HSC exam to that chosen by your teacher and studied in class? (E.g. teacher has chosen Conflict in Northern Ireland and you wish to do the Arab-Israeli Conflict).

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :awesome:

HSC
You don't have to write about the option you have studied in class. If you feel as though you can do better on other options then go for it.

bedpotato

HSC
You can do whichever option you want. I know someone who is doing a different option for chemistry to what the teacher is teaching the rest of the class. But just tell your teacher what you're doing.

mlleaicha95

HSC
I just told my teacher about it and she said it can't be done!! D: Because apparently early on in the year teachers have to send back papers to the BOS specifying what options have been chosen and the number of students doing it.. so then when doing the actual HSC, the papers with your school code will be sent to markers who are marking a specific option, i.e. that specified as being done by your school. :\ If anyone knows any different please let me know!

enoilgam

HSC
I just told my teacher about it and she said it can't be done!! D: Because apparently early on in the year teachers have to send back papers to the BOS specifying what options have been chosen and the number of students doing it.. so then when doing the actual HSC, the papers with your school code will be sent to markers who are marking a specific option, i.e. that specified as being done by your school. :\ If anyone knows any different please let me know!
I was always under the impression that you could do whatever subject you wanted for the HSC. Dont forget, your exam paper has the question number on the front, so if they are going to sort by topic, they would be more likely to do it like this. To be honest, I have a feeling that your teacher is lying to you in order to stop you from doing something else. During my HSC, I spoke to my teacher about doing another topic and he was all for it - although, our school ended up switching to that topic so it made it a non-issue.

If I were you, I would speak to a user called cem about this - she is a HS teacher and would probably have a more definitive answer.

nifkeh

HSC
afaik if a teacher from your school is being a HSC marker for that year, the senior marker will know the teacher's school code so that the papers the teacher will mark excludes the school they're from. so even if you switched options, I doubt it would be affected because your student number is probably related to your school code anyway, meaning it's already excluded from being marked by the teacher = fair

mlleaicha95

HSC
Thanks for your help everyone!

enoilgam I'm inclined to believe the same about the teacher simply not wanting me to pick another option.. :mad2:

Focus is Key

HSC
I was always under the impression that you could do whatever subject you wanted for the HSC. Dont forget, your exam paper has the question number on the front, so if they are going to sort by topic, they would be more likely to do it like this. To be honest, I have a feeling that your teacher is lying to you in order to stop you from doing something else. During my HSC, I spoke to my teacher about doing another topic and he was all for it - although, our school ended up switching to that topic so it made it a non-issue.

If I were you, I would speak to a user called cem about this - she is a HS teacher and would probably have a more definitive answer.
You can. I've talked to multiple teachers saying that you can do whatever option you want. Apparently a couple of people do it every year!

simplyinsanity

HSC
You can but generally your depth of understanding would be better for the option you studied during class.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Do it in the HSC, but don't do it for class assessments.

He'll bias you. I mean, you're deviating from the option that he has instructed you to study.

D94

HSC
N/A
I doubt this. My class voted for which topics we wanted to do towards the end of each module/part, and the options my class had chosen was different to the options the other modern history class had chosen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)