Modern History Essay Guide (1 Viewer)

jesss_987

HSC
Hi! Looking at past papers for the Cold War almost all of them say how does 'syllabus dot point' contribute to origins/development/detente etc. So I thought if I did essay plans for each dot point that would be okay?

enoilgam

HSC
Hey Guys,

I have given the Guide a bit of a revision. I added a section in on advanced essay writing techniques and revised some other parts of the guide. I also fixed up the structure a bit so that it is more easy to read and follow. Hopefully, these revisions make the guide much more helpful and useful.

Also, big thanks to LoveHateSchool for helping me edit the new version.

Eg155

HSC
Thanks Enoil! Loving the extras on how to score a high band 6, I have not considered these options before :)
You the man!

HSC
Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?

enoilgam

HSC
Hey man thanks for the guide, I was wondering why I could never get full marks lol
So with the thesis-anithesis-synthesis (T-A-S), are three of these done in one paragraph?
Also if you're going to use T-A-S does that mean you're thesis is always divided?
It's done in one paragraph. Your thesis isnt really divided - basically, the idea is that you accept that the anti-thesis does change the original thesis you started the paragraph with. For example, in a paragraph arguing that Hitler was an totalitarian leader, you may say the following:

Thesis: Hitler was totalitarian because all power rested with him.
Anti-thesis: He didnt really exercise his power over the economy and other administrative stuff.
Synthesis: Hitler's leadership was totalitarian, although he did not have complete control because he choose to delegate certain functions completely to others.

That's probably not the best example and it is very basic, although hopefully you can see what I mean. As I reinterated in the guide though, stuff like this is pretty complex and you need to really think it out. Plus, it is even more difficult to do in the confines of a 1,000 word response.

sweatygirl

HSC
Great essay guide really helped me in my modern history exams this year.

taylormai

HSC
This is a great guide and I will be sure to utilise these notes in my future essays. :)

JoanneGross

HSC
N/A
Hello friend,
you did a great job with the guidelines for writing the history essay. With the information that you given above, the students will get the complete the idea about the essay writing guidelines in history

Uy Fire

HSC
Great guide, and thanks heaps, but I don't see how you get 1000 words to be 8 pages :lol: My writing isn't overly small and 5 pages is anywhere from 1000 words to 1300 words for me.
:p

enoilgam

HSC
Great guide, and thanks heaps, but I don't see how you get 1000 words to be 8 pages :lol: My writing isn't overly small and 5 pages is anywhere from 1000 words to 1300 words for me.
:p
That's probably using the old exam books which had much bigger lines. Then again, I got 8/9 pages for my HSC using the new books.

iEatOysters

HSC
That's probably using the old exam books which had much bigger lines. Then again, I got 8/9 pages for my HSC using the new books.
May I send you a few essays to read over/critique? I feel as if my history teacher is being too lenient with his marking so it's really difficult to improve.

Jackyacoub

HSC
N/A
I know this may sound ridiculous, but how do you structure a logical and cohesive band 6 response in relation to the questions that ask "How useful are sources .... in your response consider the reliability and perspective of each."
These questions so confusing :[. :spzz:

superesse

HSC
N/A
I know this may sound ridiculous, but how do you structure a logical and cohesive band 6 response in relation to the questions that ask "How useful are sources .... in your response consider the reliability and perspective of each."
These questions so confusing :[. :spzz:
Hope these steps help. :)

1. First make a statement on the relative usefulness of the source. For instance, say something like "Source A is very (use a degree word) useful because[insert reason here]."

2. Go through the origin, content, motive and audience behind the source. Doing this helps to demonstrate to the marker that you are methodically explaining the reasons why you find a source to be useful and reliable or not. Make judgements. For instance, you can say that because the author is not writing at the time, his perception of the event might be blurred.

3. Analyse the perspective of the source. After you have completed the second step, you can now make a judgement on the perspective of the source. For instance, from what position is the author of the source? Is it a high ranking official? An educator? A woman? Allied or not? How does this affect the usefulness and reliability of the source?

4. Conclude assessment of source through clearly declaring the reliability and usefulness of the source once more. From all that you have written beforehand, it should make it simpler for you to make a decision on how reliable and useful the source is. It is really to give your argument more resolve. For instance, you can say something like "Conclusively, the reliability of the source is compromised by Haig's position as a senior officer and his duty to maintain high morale in the Allied forces. However, the source still remains very useful as it provides insight from an individual actually involved in the war at the time."

I do not know if any of these steps make sense, since it is basically what I gathered from the spot and my mind is a little fuzzy from finishing the HSC last year. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)