Modern History Exam Thoughts (merged) (1 Viewer)

*ccs*

Modern History

hey...disappoiinted theres no topic for modern but owell.... how did everyone go?

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
the last section i stuffed it up hard, i did the wrong question, i chosed the hardest topic, about the colonalisation of asian countries, impact by japan etc instead of chosing the easier one about allies strategies etc on japan in ww2

tigerschick

^*PrInCeSs*^
HSC
WW1 - studied everything but the somme, dont know why, but made it thru anyway.

Germany - totalitarian - the only thing i studied, wrote like 10 pages then discovered that like i was wasting time on a 20mark question

Leni - well u know u have to outline thier life so that was easy, and for B) was easy to say that she did unknowingly etc.

Indochina - W T F. ok the only thing i studied was why south/us lost and north/vc won. almost started to cry. but managed to write 7 pages of BS about the US conventional tactics, lack of knowlegde, pacification programs. didnt write anything about cambodia.....cos, well, i just dont remember learning anything about it!

very thankful its over now.
only got busines to go and thats it! HSC OVA!!!

xeia

HSC
Hey, me too! for decolonisation i wrote my introduction and realised that I had nothing else to say, and I'd only written a page. I had to try and spin to out for a booklet, with big writing and stuff

stupid conflict in the pacific

Sim0n

HSC
Without sounding high-handed and arrogant, that was an extremely straightforward exam and I can't imagine getting <90. I say that with all the humility I can conjur up.

HSC
It was not bad- WW1 was a bit of a shock with the Somme, but I think I did ok- I hope I did ok! And I screwed up my time, but I'm really good at that, so it seems- and only by a couple of minutes. Totalitarian Germany! That was not bad, and Indochina, yeah good. Speer was great.

Actually, now that i think about it, it was a lot of fun. Hard, but fun. I really like modern history- it's more challenging than ancient, but I enjoyed it. (yes... an exam was fun...)

Last edited:

*ccs*

wellz...I did Indochina, Germany, Leni Riefenstahl and obviously WW1.. all the questions were essays id done and rememeberd so i was stoked with the questions... i hope i do well coz ma teacher told me she expected band 6, along with like the top 5 people in the grade (who will get band 6 for everything lol) so the pressure was on...i HOPE i get the marks i need....good job everyone for completing one of the hardest topics mwa xo

rcandelori

Sim0n said:
Without sounding high-handed and arrogant, that was an extremely straightforward exam and I can't imagine getting <90. I say that with all the humility I can conjur up.
Well degrees of difficulty are in the eye of the beholder. However, generally a lack of preparation is the reason.

*ccs*

sixleadballoons said:
It was not bad- WW1 was a bit of a shock with the Somme, but I think I did ok- I hope I did ok! And I screwed up my time, but I'm really good at that, so it seems- and only by a couple of minutes. Totalitarian Germany! That was not bad, and Indochina, yeah good. Speer was great.
which questions did u choose for germany and indochina? i did totalitarianism and US intervention effecting cambodia and vietnam....

HSC
I did the same haha. I got most of my quotes, but not all my points for Indochina- I only got two paragraphs on the end, and about a four line conclusion.

*ccs*

sixleadballoons said:
I did the same haha. I got most of my quotes, but not all my points for Indochina- I only got two paragraphs on the end, and about a four line conclusion.
i was the other way around...i filled out the whole booklet with points on vietnam and cambodia, bombs(op-menu hcm trail etc) even about KR and 3rd IC war.. but i didnt remember many quotes.. ..Germany i used 2 booklets wrote about govt, constitution, consolidation, youth, women, children, gleishaltung, opposition... hopefulyl what i wrote was good...:) im happy with it I killed Leni..i love her..so hopefully i hey 20/20.....WW1 was good but enphasis on the somme threw me a bit but i worked with it

supergirl

HSC
Everything was absolutely ridiculously easy except Arab-Israeli.
I thought they stuffed me a bit there, by making it so specific.
Plus, my essay was really poorly structured.
But I think nearly full marks on WWI, full on Russia, full on both Trotsky essays, and then hopefully 25+ on Arab Israeli.
So low to mid band 6, in my mind.
I know I'm cocky, but Modern is my best and favourite subject.
Although, in the last section, I honestly considered answering the United Nations option... After the Legal exam, I was so prepared for that! I seriously would have but they would have known as everyone else from my school would have done Arab Israeli and the markers always make fun of the odd bod kids. Haha.

HSC
*ccs* said:
i was the other way around...i filled out the whole booklet with points on vietnam and cambodia, bombs(op-menu hcm trail etc) even about KR and 3rd IC war.. but i didnt remember many quotes.. ..Germany i used 2 booklets wrote about govt, constitution, consolidation, youth, women, children, gleishaltung, opposition... hopefulyl what i wrote was good...:) im happy with it I killed Leni..i love her..so hopefully i hey 20/20.....WW1 was good but enphasis on the somme threw me a bit but i worked with it
Yeah I used two booklets for Germany, and pretty much same stuff plus "The Jewish community" (man it takes up so much time to call them that, damn key groups)- did you all get the four page essay booklets for Germany?? We did- weird. Indochina was 8, but Germany 4.. i spose theyre ten marks different but still...

yeah, somme for me was tanks and experimenting with tactics.. it was all I could think of!! And this is a bad question to be asking... but... what is 'gleishaltung'??

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be..

short answer was sooooo easy.

russia was good because what i studied is what was in the exam, trotsky questions were easy becasue i did last minute on trotskys life, and mostly that period

south africa was pretty good, nice broad question.

does anyone else do south africa? (i know theres not alot)
which question did you choose? im pretty sure not much one chose the mandela one.

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Yeah, I said that its reliability was questionable as it only states how long the soldiers spent at the western front, while not telling about the actual horrors of the trenches. And source c was alittle biased as every knows that Sassoon is a known opponent of the war.
Yeah I said exactly the same thing- thats reassuring!! For me, at least. My source analysis is usually about a 9/10, but I don't really trust myself until I get the mark back.

line_backer

HSC
For Germany totalitarian question specifically what did people write about? To argue Germany was a totalitairan society I wrote about such things as the Enabling Law and fuhrer had abosolute power, Hitler Youth, prison camps, control of the Wehrmacht, etc etc. Did you guys write the same things.

jdrockefeller

HSC
My reaction when I saw there was a totalitarian question was utter, sheer relief. I had this huge smile on my face in reading time, and I was looking round to see if anyone else looked like me. I absolutely nailed the Germany section. Be disappointed with less than 36/40 for it, probably should get 18, 10, 9. I was a bit light on for quotes and couldn't remember the historians in the structuralists/intentionalists debate, but all is good.

Barely studied for Indochina and WW1, but I did study for the anti-war question, so again I was happy and I think I was able to scrape a 25/30, as I was a bit light on for information and such. WW1 should be 25/30 again as I didn't study it, but it was fairly easy. Source C and D were so easy to contrast. I should go well in WW1 and Indochina bit I was a bit light on for content which resulted from my lack of study for those topics.

It is a bit shithouse how I put in 15+ hours for Germany alone and it's only worth 20 marks. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw that totalitarian question though. My teacher predicted it, and I wrote out a practice essay on it the night before.

Best exam so far, and the only exam I have actually enjoyed doing. Weird I know. I think I'll get 86 as a bare minimum. Hoping for 95 aligned.

*ccs*

sixleadballoons said:
Yeah I used two booklets for Germany, and pretty much same stuff plus "The Jewish community" (man it takes up so much time to call them that, damn key groups)- did you all get the four page essay booklets for Germany?? We did- weird. Indochina was 8, but Germany 4.. i spose theyre ten marks different but still...

yeah, somme for me was tanks and experimenting with tactics.. it was all I could think of!! And this is a bad question to be asking... but... what is 'gleishaltung'??
welll first off...GLEISHALTUNG was a period of co-ordination during consolidation where they ceased the trade unions and stuff...when they got rid of anything un-nazi i guess....and yeh we got 4 page booklets for germany aswell..i thought each4 page were for the two separate personalities and that we were missing a booklet but..sure enough they expected us to write an outline, assess and a whole essay on only 8 pages.....GET F'd... as if...we r modern people..we tend to write alot about everything...stooppid bos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)