modulation... it sucks (1 Viewer)

rachie259

I really think that there needs to be some change in the nsw hsc system, in particular i am referring to the modulating of internal marks.
Today i was rather displeased to find that my actual internal assessment mark was 88 but due to the fact that the rest of my class dragged the marks down, my assessment mark was modulated, and instead of obtaining an 88 i was only given an 80.
i was robbed of 8 marks all because the rest of my class didn't do so great in the subject... it sucks

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Can you think of a fairer system to ensure differences between schools are accounted for?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
rachie259 said:
I really think that there needs to be some change in the nsw hsc system, in particular i am referring to the modulating of internal marks.
Today i was rather displeased to find that my actual internal assessment mark was 88 but due to the fact that the rest of my class dragged the marks down, my assessment mark was modulated, and instead of obtaining an 88 i was only given an 80.
i was robbed of 8 marks all because the rest of my class didn't do so great in the subject... it sucks
If the rest of your class didn't go well in the subject then perhaps you should have come first for the internal ranking?

reprise

From what you've said, it's more likely that your particular school marks less harshly than some others. When your assessment marks are moderated, the benchmark is your school's performance in the external exams. Schools - and individual teachers - which are "soft" markers when it comes to assessment tasks can leave their students with some very nasty surprises come the end of the year.

jaihson

HSC
If BOS didnt play with the marks, then a school could just give all their students 100 for their internal if they wanted just to make their marks better

reprise

There's a good explanation of how moderation of internal marks works here.

It can actually be your own exam mark which drags down your assessment mark if you happen to be ranked first in the assessments and come first in the exam but your exam mark is lower than your raw assessment mark.

Kirika

HSC
yeah i have a q about something like this... i got a letter today saying that my misadventure for bio was upheld and that i would get my assessment mark as my exam mark... only i know that my assessment mark from the school was 97 and my results say 95... is it meant to change? does anyone know about this kind of thing?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, it's meant to change. :) That's what moderating is all about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)