Module 2 questions (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
when does this state occur, is it just like Al ions in water? maybe when you have a metal oxide in an acid solution?
Yes its because they are ions, water is a polar substance, due to its bonds not being linear (due to Oxygen having a higher electronegativity), it forms polar bond to the water molecules and so isnt attracted to the other ion anymore.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
so what about the semi metal like i mentioned? do you have to add them up?
my thoughts for Ga(2) O(3), each Ga give 3 electrons (6 total) to the 3 O. therefore they add up
Gallium is more likely to ionicly bond.

i suppose you can deduce it from Xayma's 2 non metals form covalent bonds
They wont always seem to add up to fill all gaps, covalent bonding can get weird, for example Carbon Monoxide.

Wohzazz

HSC
so many exceptions *stressed*
so how many exceptions are there?
and Ga is not the only semi metal, how can you tell?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Because Gallium isnt considered a metalloid/semi-metal ;) Only boron, silicon, germanium, arsenic, antimony, and tellurium are and polonium is normally considered one as well.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
so many exceptions *stressed*
so how many exceptions are there?
in short you can't... unless you have the electronegativity values of the two elements that is bonding. generally electronegativity has to be more than 1.7 in difference for a ionic bond. the reasons are rather simple because the pull of one on another's electrons is too strong when is more than 1.7 so they form two ions held together by their opposing charges.

Wohzazz

HSC
well what happens to the semi-metals? do they covalently bond or ionically bond?

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
in short you can't... unless you have the electronegativity values of the two elements that is bonding. generally electronegativity has to be more than 1.7 in difference for a ionic bond. the reasons are rather simple because the pull of one on another's electrons is too strong when is more than 1.7 so they form two ions held together by their opposing charges.
i remember reading this somewhere, hmm, but do they always give you the electronegativities in exam conditions?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
well what happens to the semi-metals? do they covalently bond or ionically bond?
Mainly Ionically, however whether they take electrons or have electrons taken from them varies depending on the other element.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Yes its because they are ions, water is a polar substance, due to its bonds not being linear (due to Oxygen having a higher electronegativity), it forms polar bond to the water molecules and so isnt attracted to the other ion anymore.
missed reading this, so you are saying that water's polarity makes it be attracted to the Al ion rather than to another water molecule
in 'the other ion anymore', which ion are you referring to?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Wohzazz man, this is the hsc... you don't need to understand anything. if you get lucky you'll proly get 2 or 3 math/chem questions at most and they are so freakin easy that anyone can do. the rest is just evaluating and discussing hard issues like fuel prices. ;)

What i mean is for an reaction, do you write
acid + base= salt + water
or base + acid = water + salt
just was wondering if there was any conventions
i don't know... but i generally write acid + base= salt + water. since 'a'cid comes before 'b'ase... you know abcdefg....

you always write salt first because water is always water if you know what i mean... like when you do indefinite intergrals, the c, is always written last. but there are special cases of no water. ;)

They wont always seem to add up to fill all gaps, covalent bonding can get weird, for example Carbon Monoxide.
ya thats because they are super crazy coordinate covalent bonds that bond in practically anyway ;)

Wohzazz

HSC
Mainly Ionically, however whether they take electrons or have electrons taken from them varies depending on the other element.
more exceptions, i hate exceptions in chemistry, always forget them

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
in 'the other ion anymore', which ion are you referring to?
Aluminium wont form ions on its own, you need to have something strip it of its electrons, which will become an ion as well and will be dissolved in water.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
Wohzazz man, this is the hsc... you don't need to understand anything. if you get lucky you'll proly get 2 or 3 math/chem questions at most and they are so freakin easy that anyone can do. the rest is just evaluating and discussing hard issues like fuel prices. ;)
think i worry too much, but i just don't want to trip over if any easy stuff from the preliminary is indirectly asked
personally i'd say maths questions are all easy , you just got to watch out for numbers and units

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
more exceptions, i hate exceptions in chemistry, always forget them
If a metalloid bonds with an group I metal, it will act like the non-metal (ie take electrons) but if it bonds with a Halogen it will act like a metal (ie lose electrons) not sure what happens when the get closer, but I doubt you will have something difficult like that.

Wohzazz

HSC
Aluminium wont form ions on its own, you need to have something strip it of its electrons, which will become an ion as well and will be dissolved in water.
so for aquated aluminium, is it Al.(H2O)3 or something like that
so the aluminium is not actually bonded to the H2O, it's only the polar nature of water that make it attracted to aluminium even though it's not an ion

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
is it Al.(H2O)3
Thats hydrated aluminium, which I dont think will form. Aluminium will only dissolve in water if its an ion. If its in its natural state the metallic bonds are too strong and it is neutral so the polar water molecules would be more attracted to themselves then the aluminium

abdooooo!!!

Banned
edit/ deleted 'not' in q 4
4/

Here's an example from Chem Context 2
2. The reaction for the production of water gas is
C(s) + H2O(g) 6 (double arrows) CO(g) + H2(g)
if the system is at equilibrium, what would be the effect of the following changes
I) the concentraion of all the species, and
answer: concentrations of H2O , CO and H2 will decrease but concentration of C(s) will remain constant
hey whats the '6' before the equilbrium sign ( <----> ), and whats the question mean? change in the concentration of all the species to what? by what means?

Wohzazz

HSC
6 was a typo,
i forgot to write the rest of the question
edited now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)