Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context (1 Viewer)

kiwiolly

HSC
Man... im glad my teacher chose BNW/BR!

everyone ive talked to that did anything else hated their question, but the BNW one was just like in trials and half yearlys :)

ive heard that in the other exams like bio chemistry etc, if the candidates for one option score significantly lower marks in that section than the candidates for another option, the marks get scaled for that particular option. does the same apply for english?

suzieee

HSC
I said something about john hanging himself and society getting out of control for the consequences part... it was all i could think of :( but my whole class gets a misendeamour thing cos a guy was killed at a guy in my class's 18th on sat nite.

the_essence

HSC
That question was narrow (emma/clueless) but pretty straightforward if u knew ur texts well and talked about:
- social hierarchy/fluidity
- marriage, sex/dating
- image/consumerism

AngelznDemonz

HSC
I thought the Emma/Clueless question was average.....but i think I have done a competent script anyway..I hope!! I thought it was a very narrow section of the syllabus to ask a question on..but we can't do anything about it now....

Best of luck 2 every1 for their upcoming exams.

suzieee

HSC
sja said:
Thoughts on In the Wild:

the question asked you to talk about the consequences for desire for control.

if you thought for a minute or two about the question all you basically needed to incorporate was natural state, natural rhythms, any signs or symbols throughout BR/BNW that had anything to do with emotions - and then go ahead to compare the environments and lack of individuality.

it was so broad! i used john the savage's suicide as a simultaneous symbol for the suicide of the natural environment.

i also used the replicant, Roy, and his suicide as a simultaneous symbol for the suicide of human emotions and how he was truly more human than human.

i also suggest everyone go masturbate.
roy committed suicide??? i fell asleep when we watched the movie, so i must have missed it. oh well. um who was roy? was he the one with blonde hair?

barrel_roll

Harmonic Dissonance
HSC
suzieee said:
roy committed suicide??? i fell asleep when we watched the movie, so i must have missed it. oh well. um who was roy? was he the one with blonde hair?
Yes, Roy has blonde hair....
No, he died. He had a short lifespan.

daiseydai

HSC
suzieee said:
roy didn't commit suicide, sja has made an entirely wrong concept choice by using the word suicide. suicide would defeat the whole purpose of the movie. gosh.

overall, this module question was illogical and seems like the BOS spent 2 seconds thinking up a question. why i say this is because the concept of 'control' although immensely imminent in BNW, is not so prominent in BR. they would have done better by changing 'desire for control' to 'desire to exceed their own limits' or something similar. of course you can manipulate BR to be concerning of humans desire for control by saying 'human's tendency to exceed their own limits is indicative of their desire for control.... AS scientific development creates the sense of progress and thus, tends towards a false sense of power.' which is the direction i took, however, it is not direct and therefore redundant as you would have to touch upon multiple points in order to make the question itself logical... which would then force us to spend the bulk of our essay justifying everything! stupid. stupid. stupid.

the BOS is an absolute stink. i hope they realise their own incongruity.

smely

HSC
I thought the Emma/Clueless one was bareable.. i didn't like that it just asked about relationships though... i just talked about social values and marriage anyway...i only wrote 5 pages though which is very very bad... but i guess its quality not quantity...

all_of_myself

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i didn't mind this question at all. it was slightly difficult at first, but really, it wasnt too bad. .
I did BNW/BR, and I agree, it was hard at first, but i slowly began to understand what i was writing about as i went along...there were SO many arrows etc, i hope the examiner understands what the hell i was on about.

nicki8959

HSC
I did Emma/Clueless...it was really wierd, when I first looked at it I just thought it was total nonsense, but then I realized you could relate a lot to the relationships in society. But the 'quality' of the relationships stumped me, what the hell does that even mean?? Anyway, I think I did alright, sore hand = hard work

emma max

Ancient Member
HSC
sooo happy with the emma/clueless question...memorised an essay the night before all about the different relationships...just rewrote it...9 pages in 20 mins, not a bad effort me thinks

sillysana

HSC
the_essence said:
That question was narrow (emma/clueless) but pretty straightforward if u knew ur texts well and talked about:
- social hierarchy/fluidity
- marriage, sex/dating
- image/consumerism
I really hope the markers are thinking on the same wavelength as you!! Because thats practically how i wrote my essay....
When i read the question i though of alot of interpretations but i didnt want to take the risk so i just wrote quite generally.....Gosh! the nerve of tho BOS!!! dont they have better things to do in their lives than make life hard for a bunch of 17 year olds!!!!! :eek:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Emma/Clueless- it was a bit too specific and there was no need to compare contexts but to show that both texts can have values of relationships.

little master

HSC
looks like no one did Pardoners tale /A simple plan
over all a good question.. had no difficulties

Cabrello

HSC
little master said:
looks like no one did Pardoners tale /A simple plan
over all a good question.. had no difficulties
I actually feel sorry for everyone in the state with them breaking it up into text specific questions. I hammered this question so hard and absolutely everyone that did Chaucer should have. As far as Im concerned there was nothing other than moral responsibility that is common between the 2 texts and it was a sinch to incorporate the language devices etc.

With all the people complaining about the difficulty in including language features, poetry had a huge advantage

Fifa06

HSC
First of all i would like 2 say THANK YOU LORD NO MORE ENGLISH no more deconstructing Gwen Harwoods poem woohoo! i disliked the question about youth and age crap i just wrote anything i had remebered all my notes and past essays i did. im sooo happy i have 4 2 exams go!!

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
this section proli went down the best for me...i think... but i didnt get to finish it!
but i did get to say alot of what i wanted to say so thanks cool. :)
yayyyyyyyyy ENGLISH IS OVER!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)