Module A Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
Would it be better to:

1. Discuss three different ideas/values through the use of three integrated paragraphs

OR

2. Discuss two different ideas/values, but two paragraphs per idea (one for each text)

I assume with the first structure more ideas are being discussed, but the second one would allow for a more in-depth exploration of each idea. Thoughts?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Is the best option if you are incredibly skilful at English.

But you should have at least 3-4 different ideas being discussed.

matchalolz

HSC
I'd argue that #2 is better, simply because you have more control in your language when explaining the values of texts. You could try do #1 if you're a genius in English, but the main problem is that if you don't maintain fluency of constantly analysing both texts in one paragraph, you could confuse yourself. Making a subtle comparison/contrast in your topic sentence for your body paragraph is enough for structure #2; e.g. whilst X text praises the utilisation of technological innovation, Y text stylistically criticises it due to the decaying social constructs of its time period.
I was actually leaning towards structure #2 and was wondering if it was ok to use, because the thing is, i have two ideas that i have a lot to say for and that I'm really comfortable with talking about, but it is a little worrying that I don't really have a third idea yet :/ (in prep for upcoming half yearly exams)

and @blit, no I'm not incredibly skilful at english, I'd say I'm around average

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Two ideas or values should be fine.

Intro

Body 1: Text 1 - Idea 1

Body 2: Text 2 - Idea 1 + link to text 1

Body 3: Text 1 - Idea 2

Body 4: Text 2 - Idea 2 + link to text 1

Conclusion

I remember having 3 ideas/values (6 body paragraphs) for my prepared Frankenstein and Blade Runner essay (for flexibility) but only ever having time for 2 ideas (4 body paragraphs)

Last edited:

matchalolz

HSC
Two ideas or values should be fine.

Intro

Body 1: Text 1 - Idea 1

Body 2: Text 2 - Idea 1 + link to text 1

Body 3: Text 1 - Idea 2

Body 4: Text 2 - Idea 2 + link to text 1

Conclusion

I remember having 3 ideas/values (6 body paragraphs) for my prepared Frankenstein and Blade Runner essay (for flexibility) but only ever having time for 2 ideas (4 body paragraphs)
but there are two prescribed texts so wouldn't the discussion of the second text be compromised a little to due linking it back? Or is it just a 1-2 sentence link back?

turntaker

HSC
I have one concept/idea per paragraph. I have 3 paragraphs all together.

I speak about related and core text in each paragraph linking them to each concept.

sophie109

HSC
Because Mod A is a comparative study (I'm doing Richard III & Looking for Richard) it's literally impossible to not talk about one text without discussing the other. So definitely option 1 (integrated) if you're in my situation.

Chris_edwards

HSC
The essay question is
"A distinctive voice does not simply recount experience, it offers a perspective on experience that is important."

My texts are both speeches;
Aung San Suu Kyi Nobel Lecture (16 June 2012) and
Indira Gandhi, 'The True Liberation of Women’

I am having real issues starting this essay. Can anyone provide any sort of assistance?

Orwell

HSC
I recently completed my Module A assessment and I did four body paragraphs, however, it's just preference.

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
Would it be better to:

1. Discuss three different ideas/values through the use of three integrated paragraphs

OR

2. Discuss two different ideas/values, but two paragraphs per idea (one for each text)

I assume with the first structure more ideas are being discussed, but the second one would allow for a more in-depth exploration of each idea. Thoughts?

Definitely the latter. You are already juggling several components in the Module A essay - namely, 2 contexts, 2 themes, and all the examples and textual evidence they entail. To keep your essay clear and insightful, it's a good idea to discuss just one idea per paragraph.
Here is an analysis of a theme in Dalloway/Hours, plus a diagram on how to connect the various elements (context, theme, character) across your two prescribed texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)