Module B: Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

roosterssuck

HSC
harwood question was ok, worked well with glass jar and prize-giving.

but father and child and the violets would probably have been much better to use if i actually knew them well enough

emma max

Ancient Member
HSC
They didn't ask for a specific speech! yay! I had only studied 3 speeches in detail, so I was preparing to have to pull some kind of magic out my ass...but I didn't have to :D
*does little victory dance*

Kat Food

HSC
King lear was pretty good - if u had focused on Lear in ur preparation, HOWEVER i usually always think its a good question and go bad anyway. Heehee. I was stuck coz id prepared three scenes and to do only two would have made it way WAY too short... so i stuck the third one in anyways...thinking about it now i probably should cut 1 out, coz i ran out of time and didnt finish it or Emma/clueless.

Oh Well, (and they say that these says are the best days of your life!!)

Beetle

HSC
omgOd... when english reading started, i flicked staright to the speeches question to see if it was a specified speech invloved and if here were 3 speches involved.
loved the fact it was only 2 texts, as i prepared for that, but i also had a back up third speech. Overall it was alright, but the qustion was a bit confusing. managed to scape in One booklet and 3 pages of the second booklet.

How many pages is that?

LOL DEATH TO ENGLISH !

HSC
Did anyone here do the wild swans quest... It was alrite but it was my last essay so i didnt really get a chance to write much for it and it ended up being a jumbled essay.... :(

Myshelli

HSC
In referral to King Lear - Before I went in Teachers were telling us to only write about the productions if the question asked you to write about 'interpretations' .. the question obviously didn't but some people did write about productions..i don't know if some people didn't..im confused!

Last edited:

Cabrello

HSC
sweetsweetcandy said:
In the Skin: Most retarded question I've ever had to answer. I completely screwed it up! I didn't study "two key episodes" and wtf was with focusing on just characterisation of one character? That was so messed up.

yeah i know I agree with you, its all very well and good 2 ask for 2 scenes in a play or 2 pieces of poetry, but 2 episodes in prose fiction is sooo unreasonable. Atleast Patrick was a central character so we're a step-up on cloudstreet.

My teacher was absolutely useless as well, in school weonly analysed the first half of the book coz we were running out of time and the only thing that stuck in my head was the gay scene with Alice in the bar because I got into an argument with my teacher; I didn't think the quote "strangers kiss softly as moths" was worth wasting our time when wemissed out on going over the puppet theatre and the confrontation between patrick and harris.

Nonetheless I think I'm the only preson in the state who ended up quoting strangers kiss softly as moths even though it didnt have anything to do with my character, rest assured mate u did better than me

Gomezz

HSC
LottoX said:
Actually, the BoS decides everything. They've been calling it "The Tragedy of King Lear" for ages now. It's up to you to see which are in italics. King Lear = Character King Lear = Play.
Mate are you normal. I dont care about the BOS, it isnt there decision to make a title up for Shakespeare's play. And why would u be backing them up in this situation where we got ppl who got farkd ova becuase of it.

MUR0031

Papa- Smurph
HSC
AAAAhhhhhhh!!! Harwood was wierd. Enduring power. What the ??????????????????? I don't think I answered the age and youth thing well, but the rest of it was ok. Anyway, good luck to you all for the rest of the exams.

largewaffle

HSC
Originally Posted by sideshowtim
I love Citizen Kane so I did alright in this one.

Kudos to Citizen Kane Tim, Kudos...
(Erwin)

Monz

HSC
HATED THIS QUESTION, I MEAN HATED!!! Oh and i hate the examiner who wrote it, what a fucking gay question whoever wrote it-you should be ashamed of yourself. Who the hell asks about a specific question when most of the characters are of close to equal importance. Not that Cloudstreet was ever my strong point but it didn't have to shrivel up and die, thanks to that question however, it did.

Candice109

HSC
Guess I'm in the minority here but I absolutely adored the KL question. Our teacher made us do two prep essays and one of them was to focus specifically on the characterisation of KL in regards to three scenes, in this case two, so...WOOHOO!!(sorry, don't mean to brag here)

cbarrett

HSC
1qaz2wsxokm said:
heyyy!! Did anyone do the Yeats question??? It was abt Youth and Age !! What did you right about???? Which poems did you talk about?! i used 2nd coming but it doesnt relate to much with age/youth but its a poem like The Siege in Frontline every1 uses it!!! =S!
newayz how did YEATS ppl go?

Yeah I did Yeats. I thought the question was pretty good, but im not sure if i did enough on context. I used Wild Swans at Coole and Sailing to Byzantium and wrote about Yeats' concerns with ageing, contrasting the swans and the persona, stuff like what. Also a brief reference to Byzantium. Which other poem did you use, besides Second Coming?

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Candice109 said:
Guess I'm in the minority here but I absolutely adored the KL question. Our teacher made us do two prep essays and one of them was to focus specifically on the characterisation of KL in regards to three scenes, in this case two, so...WOOHOO!!(sorry, don't mean to brag here)
thats one of the best feelings eh!
good for you :)
king lear was definitely the hardest section for me...
i wrote 4 pages i think...not really sure if i presented the point that well... ahhh doesnt matterrr... goooooooooood bye english!!! :D

smely

HSC
Hey did anyone else do Wild Swans?.... i thought the question was bareable but wtf was with the '2 extracts' thingo....that was just stupid...

celery

HSC
i thought the Harwood question was nice.
I did Prize Giving (which i somehow made it turn into age and youth) and The Glass Jar (which was basically bout age and youth).

My friend did a smart thing though, the question had asked 'to what extent...age and youth' and she did Prize Giving as one of them and said that it did not explore the idea of age and youth to any extent and just wrote what she had prepared. haha! pretty neat i thought. i wasnt quick enough to think of that =p

but im just glad it was an essay and not a CONVERSATION like some other years...*shivers...*

miyoko

HSC
Like some of you guys who planned for 3 speeches, i actually wrote about 3 speeches, even though it specified 2, for the same reason - it wasn't sufficient enough for me to only focus on 2, would i be penalised?

oh2sxc

HSC
WTF how are we supposed to write a significant amount of shit on 2 speeches?!?!? I got 5 pages - 4 were well written the fifth was complete bullshit trying to make numbers... RIDICULOUS SPECIFYING 2.. Stupid People.

karumi

HSC
I actually ::liked:: the harwood question. breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the "age and youth" thing cause that's a theme in all the poems I prepared (Prize Giving, Glass Jar, Father and Child). Enduring power seems like the previous HSC question where her voice "resonates through the ages". :/

well i hope i went ok ... ^^;;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)