Module B - Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

collide

HSC
How did you approach this question?
Did you find it easy/hard?

Personally, I don't think I answered the question properly but I tried my best. I did 'love'.. My mind blanked out. Probably added 'sadness' in there somewhere as well.. imo this was prob my worse essay. How did everyone else go?

P.S - can someone please post up the question

Jessica14

HSC
The question was:

Ultimately, in this poetry, it is the representation of intense human emotions that captivates readers.

Explore the representation of at least ONE intense human emotion, evaluating its significance in at least TWO of Harwood's poems prescribed for study.

I thought it was an okay question. I did desire as the emotional response for Prize-Giving and Alter Ego.

starrysky

HSC
I did the emotions of passion (love) and devastation (loss or sadness) with Prize-Giving and The Glass Jar as my focus poems - I initially tried out devastation and loss as two separate emotions, but then realised that they correlated too much, and there was more reference to passion in both poems anyway.

This was probably my second-best Module out of the three ... I got a decent essay out of it, so I was happy enough with that.

jackandmilo

HSC
lol that was my worst essay....i did The Glass Jar for the emotion of sadness or feeling of isolation and The Violets for joy as Harwood's joy that is from connecting with nature and brings forth her joyous childhood sorta thing lol....i didn't get to finish the essay :mad1: ....i guess i spent a lil too much time on module A and C lol...oh well it's all done now

starrysky

HSC
jackandmilo said:
lol that was my worst essay....i did The Glass Jar for the emotion of sadness or feeling of isolation and The Violets for joy as Harwood's joy that is from connecting with nature and brings forth her joyous childhood sorta thing lol....i didn't get to finish the essay :mad1: ....i guess i spent a lil too much time on module A and C lol...oh well it's all done now
Doesn't the question specify that you do at least one emotion that's significant in at least two texts? So wouldn't you have to find a common emotion between the two and discuss that?

Or I might be wrong and misinterpreted the question. O_O

samuel slack

HSC
I did sadness, using "at mornington", "the violets" and "father and child"... now wishing I'd written sorrow instead of sadness. Sounds a little bit more sophisticated.

collide

HSC
samuel slack said:
I did sadness, using "at mornington", "the violets" and "father and child"... now wishing I'd written sorrow instead of sadness. Sounds a little bit more sophisticated.
I did the exact same poems. I also wrote sadness after failing to come up with a better word lol. I knew the emotions I wanted to write about, yet I couldn't come up with a word for it.. eg. sorrow. Argh. Oh well I'm happy it's over.

goosiegoo

HSC
I left half an hour for this one, because it's my most hated of all modules so i just didn't care...

I did nostalgia, and used The Violets and Prize Giving. But for some reason in the exam i had a mental block and couldn't think of the word nostalgia, argh! But i think it sounded alright anyway...

Empress of All

HSC
I thought this quesiton was awful, nothing we had studied could really prepare us for this question and as such its probably the worst of my 3 essays

roosterman57

HSC
can childhood, loss of innocence, and memory be considered human emotions? lol. and how these help the responder relate to incidents in which Harwood talks about therefore they relate to the poem on a personal level hence emotions sorta thing :S

andykillz

HSC
oh youre kidding.
i thought of doing 'fear' first , as in 'father and child' and 'the glass jar' , but i had a feeling everyone would do so , so i changed to 'love' damnit.

MartaJ

HSC
andykillz said:
oh youre kidding.
i thought of doing 'fear' first , as in 'father and child' and 'the glass jar' , but i had a feeling everyone would do so , so i changed to 'love' damnit.
Heh, I did 'fear'... I also chose those 2 poems too. It was the 1st thing that popped into my head and I was pressed for time... I'm ALWAYS pressed for time! Why is it that subjects like IPT can have THREE hrs when English only has TWO?!
As it is, I didn't finish 'Frontline'. Gah! I hate tests!

kloudsurfer

HSC
I did love (father and child), fear and hope (the violets).

I only left 35 minutes to answer it cos i was stuck on the BNW/BR question. Didnt get to write as much as i would have liked.

Still thought the question sucked. Was waaaaay too specific. It could have been worse though.

whathaveidone

HSC
i did the violets and father and child coz i'd been preparing to do them all year from a romantic and feminist reading
so both of them had the intense human emotion of love and i found i could write one of my prepared essays with slightly different intros and conclusions to the paragraphs
the teachers were all so happy to mark billions of essays so alot of different essays could be written
just hope the hard work pays off coz im still not fantastic at english

Paul Dinh

HSC
:sleep: :wave: Yehz english advanced exma was pretty okayish/ hard...... especially module B Gwen Harwood poetry while mod c was very broad so it was easy... n mod A was okay... so over all test was okay/hard........

UAI aim:95-issh
subjects:Estension 2 maths, physics , chemistry English(advanced)
:bomb: :mad1: :rofl: :) :burn:

trentles

HSC
i think ive done it wrong..not specific enough
i did glass jar father and child prize giving and alter ego

confusion, disillusionment, fear, desire, sadness

redom

HSC
goosiegoo said:
I left half an hour for this one, because it's my most hated of all modules so i just didn't care...

I did nostalgia, and used The Violets and Prize Giving. But for some reason in the exam i had a mental block and couldn't think of the word nostalgia, argh! But i think it sounded alright anyway...
ahhh why cant i think of something so sophisticated with half an hour to go?!

i did "arrogant egotism" and ummm its been a while soo i cant quite remember the second one:S

but i remember i did okayy in this section:)

ballyy

HSC
i did contentment using the violets + at mornington.. such an unexpected question. but i think i manipulated it enough to make it sound ok.

SimoneL

HSC
This was my worst essay. I hated the question so much that i left it til last and only had 1/2 an hour to do it cos i got a bit carried away with module A. I'll be surprised if i even get 5/15 for Harwood, cos it really was the most terrible essay i've written in my life and i've done some shockers.

rosemcgregor

HSC
collide said:
How did you approach this question?
Did you find it easy/hard?

Personally, I don't think I answered the question properly but I tried my best. I did 'love'.. My mind blanked out. Probably added 'sadness' in there somewhere as well.. imo this was prob my worse essay. How did everyone else go?

P.S - can someone please post up the question

Hi all I'm new on this web and dont hav a clue to go about it but as i looked this up im wondering if any of you can GIVE ME TIPS ON STUDYING HARWOOD cuz iv only just started yr. 12. thanks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)