Module B - King Lear (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: King Lear Module B

borkoborko said:
In response to your reply.. I'm sorry but suck it up! It is about a close analysis of text, so all the central themes in the play are important and yes it is how you interpret it, but readings are not a close analysis of it, they are other peoples analysis of it and you just using that to create your own interpretation.

We got told over and over again by our school that you should complelty forget about readings, and focus on the actual play itself!

By looking at a close analysis of text, and Lear which you should have specifically, and throughout a whole year of work, you would have seen that this play is based alot around intense human relationships, they are the basis for all your other nihlism etc jargon blah blah.
Qft.
Teddy Lee said:
Finally someone talking sense. Seriously, whoever thinks it was too centred on familial relationships, get over it. The module is about a critical study of text and human relationships are an important component in the play itself.

Our teacher spent all year telling us how king lear was going to be the hardest module, how they could pick on any little character, theme or scene (our trial was based on the opening of the play). Readings supplement the play itself and your interpretation should come from the play and you could have fit your nihilistic reading in fine. The question was far better than the generic ones for the other modules.
Qft.
-pari- said:
hate to seem like a bitch, but seriously, you can't do anything about it, and there is absolutely no point complaining and worrying.
Qft.

:)

Jordanf6769

HSC

the pospinator said:
i focused on the relationship between lear and his daughters

i think those of us in catholic schools were a bit lucky in that the CSSA trial paper also took on a family perspective

i found that time management was an issue (it usually is for me and english), and because i did king lear last, i didnlt have time to complete it :mad1:

oh well, at least english is done
we were lucky werent we haha i was happy with the fact that i had prepared to write my essay on familial relationships even if the question didnt have any relevance cos im that shit at lear so i was stoked wen it sorta took the same path as the CSSA trial.... relationships between lear and his daughters and briefly mentioned gloucester and his sons too....

spangacrab

HSC

I said that it based mainly on the two families and their similarities.

Lear and his daughters, Cordelia the only one telling the truth, real daughter.
Gloucester, Edgar the real son and shows that, although can't blame Edmond for what he did for he was illegitimate.

in3rtia

HSC

I wrote about Lear and cordelia and their relationship and how without it there would be no tragedy, and how without it Edmund wouldn't be able to conduct his evil plans to trick his father and get use Regan and Goneral to gain power.

lisablah

HSC
N/A
i totallyu agree with somone up there^! thank god it said atleast one. there was no blooyd way i could only do one! i did lear and daughters and gloucuester. i did a psycho fam richard eyre reading. it was still pretty hard. lear sucks.

dwatt

HSC
It was still possible for people to discuss the play as predominantly nihilstic. Remember, BOS wants a personal response from the play, not a regurgitation of readings. People who simply regurtitated Eyre or something like that will not score well, unless they have personally engaged with the play, and really shown how it impacts on the play as a whole (ie, lends it the textual integrity to question responders irrespective of context).

I read the play in that light - that there is little rationality or hope left in the conclusion. Remember - the question asked for an evaluation of how the relationships impacted the play "as a whole" (or something like that).

So - it was ok to discuss Lear's intense relationship with Cordelia, and the climactic reconciliation, and the crushing death. Then - in evaluating that to the play "as a whole", you can say that it demonstrates the irrationality and sense of maljustice in an atheistic universe.

Really - it didn't limit the people who didn't have a family reading, and King Lear is in essence a HUMAN TRAGEDY, so human relationships are doubtless the crux of it.

JoshyPutts07

HSC
Most people I talked to you specifically talked about the relationship between Lear and Cordelia..........

I just talked about familial relationships as a whole with reference to Lear and his daughters and gloucester and his sons> I also referenced feminist ideals and eyre's and olivier's productions

Is that valid?

yeh i only managed to get 5 n a 1/2 pages down too, that was definately my worst essay

yeh so you guys reckon thats alright?.........familial relationships as a whole?

gottaluvit

HSC
I had the same problem!! All year ive been focussing on Lear's mental incapability and the play being about madness.. Then they asked about human relationships! Ahh i was so annoyed, so i ended up writing bout the relationship and connection Lear had lost with his inner pyschological features and sanity.. i was so disapointed cause i got way off track to the question! SHouldnt get to good marks for that one but what can i do now..

dwatt

HSC
JoshyPutts07 said:
Most people I talked to you specifically talked about the relationship between Lear and Cordelia..........

I just talked about familial relationships as a whole with reference to Lear and his daughters and gloucester and his sons> I also referenced feminist ideals and eyre's and olivier's productions

Is that valid?

yeh i only managed to get 5 n a 1/2 pages down too, that was definately my worst essay

yeh so you guys reckon thats alright?.........familial relationships as a whole?
You'll be fine as long as you teased out how these familial relationships impacted on the play.

SituationNoir

HSC
The way I see it, it was a bitch of a question. Last years and this years seemed to have done an excellant job of screwing people over. I fully agree that anyone focusing more on a familial reading of the play MAY (and I say MAY) have had it easier.

HAVING SAID THAT, whilst I found the question somewhat obscure (and was super annoyed that I couldn't do the SAME question on wuthering heights that was on the next page...) I didn't find it difficult to answer. King Lear itself revolves around these relationships, so, essentially, regardless of what reading(s) you focused on, there would have been something one could have used to support this answer. I was lucky, I focused on pride and an existentialist reading. There was some information I had for both of those that wasn't relevant to the question and some that was, so I think I've come out of it ok.

I think one of the main ways people are going to loose marks is if they didnt address the last part of the question, about the audience and how these relationships captivated them.

Personally, I did think the question was a bit off though...

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
Even if you didn't study a family interpretation when studying "King Lear" you should have looked at the characters and the characterisation and within that you have to look at how they interact despite whatever reading/personal response you took. If you hadn't studied the characters then you obviously hadn't fully studied "King Lear". So to anyone who thinks it was unfair- it wasn't.

however i did manage to fail it miserably.

And evita, i mean it, seriously fuck off. Its pissing me off now. Stop reading my posts!

tessery

HSC

yeah, i thought it was so cruel you couldn't disagree with the statement! seriously i got so stressed when i saw that question, i had a nihilistic reading of the play so i was pretty much screwed, i think those who had a family reading did have an advantage but oh well - its over now! lol goodluck for the rest of your exams xox

jfxo

HSC
i don't think this question necessarily had to be taken literally. intense human relationships do not have to occur between a human and another human. the nihilists and existentialists out there could have discussed the intense human relationship characters of Shakespeare's tragedy had with the universe, or a christian redemptionist may have discussed the character's relationship with God. there are so many possibilities, i think this question was perceived quite literally by the majority of kids out there. humans don't just have intense relationships with each other. look at yourself.

good luck for the rest of your exams! and stop studying haha

hkgirl

HSC
i found this year's KING LEAR module much easier than the past papers..
mainly because theres so much to talk about & can relate to productions easier!

i talked about 2 relationships because my prepared essay was only 1000words hence too short if i only talked about 1.

1. Lear & his daughter (as a father) - eyres production as backup.
2. Lear & his relationship with his people (as a foolish king) - kozinstev's production.

i wrote about 7 pages..so hopefully i'll do fine in this module FOR ONCE.

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A

~shinigami~ said:
Well I'm pretty impressed with the question because as you've mentioned in other threads, this wasn't one of those mere "regurgitate your generic essay" type questions especially when you compare it to Mod C Truth.

I'm glad that the question said "at least one" because there was no way I could have written a whole essay on one relationship.

This module will be my only ticket to a decent Band 5 so I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyway, from reading your other posts, you seem quite capable at English anyway so I'm sure your interpretation of the question and your essay would've been fine. :)
You should be fine. Don't worry you had a great tutor, if i can say so myself :santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)