Module B: Speeches Help (1 Viewer)

prodigiousrush

HSC
Hey, What speeches should i do? I was thikingn Sadat, Suu Kyi and Noel pearson. How do i summarise the information in table form. Do i just get quotes and the techiques used.

Which quotes should i use as the speeches are huge, assistance is hugely appreciated.

james_k73

HSC
I'm studying all speeches as they could easily ask you to refer to a specific text (ie. last year where you had to use Kyi's speech). Although I am similarly focusing on Sadat, Suu Kyi but also Atwood
I summarised each speech into key issues so this could be: Justice (ie. 2009 question), freedom, Identity, unity etc.
then I did the rhetorical device/technique, quote, analysis and how it may link to other speeches. You should look at the context, structure, language and aspects of textual integrity within the speech.

Personally i believe its the hardest module as the question they ask you is absolutely unpredictable, and i wouldn't rely on luck with just three speeches studied
Hope that helps!

prodigiousrush

HSC
How many quotes are you looking at for each speech. Do you know of any exam responses, so i can see how the response to the HSC questions are styled. Thanks for the effort

RishBonjour

HSC
yep, for this module, you really don't need that many quotes to get into a top band, but rather, specifically answer the question, and have "strong personal voice" lol
(not that I'm good at it, but it says in the markers comments :) )

james_k73

HSC
How many quotes are you looking at for each speech
It depends on the speech's key issues and how many quotes will support your argument. For instance, in Kyi's speech she uses the term "war toys of grown men". Within that quote there is metaphor, bathos and juxtaposition. So I would argue about 50-80 words analysis off a 5-word quote. Just remember rhetorical techniques such as alliteration and assonance shouldn't be used on Kyi and Sadat as the speeches weren't delivered in English.
Also in notes from marker's criteria they say that complex rhetorical devices such as anadiplosis are not needed for a band 6 result so, unless absolutely necessary, keep it simple and analyse critically.
Hope that helps!

forkward

HSC
Our teacher only told us to analyse two speeches in our essays. Wat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)