Module B: Wuthering Heights (1 Viewer)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
What are we supposed to do for this novel?

Learn the themes? . . . . consider different perspectives? I went through the syllabus but i still don't get it! :vcross:

shaai

i seriously dont get it either. im screwed at the moment
someone plz help

Jennibeans

HSC
i did mine thru the themes of power & social class & gender roles which is pretty much your marxist and feminist perspectives
i hope thats right
if not im screwed

Martini

ok, so i called that advice line thing... out of my complete desperation.. and they're actually very good, well at least the lady i spoke to. ok so here's what i put together from what she said. hope it helps in some way!

HELPFUL REMINDERS:
* First of all look at question and ask yourself, what is this question asking me? Whilst ignoring what you already know you have to talk about.
* Don’t just talk about the different readings; always refer back to the text.
* The question may have a focal point, such as focus on a particular theme, eg. Characterisation. In that case, address that theme throughout the essay.
* If a broader question is asked, talk about universal themes.
* Remember to include TECHNIQUES! And QUOTES! And to say “the composer uses … (so and so technique) … to establish/create … (Whatever, maybe atmosphere) … and then link it back to your thesis/argument, eg. Thus widening the responder’s perspective.
* Remember that texts can be responded to in different ways.

TECHNIQUES:
* Structure – the narrative is given as a recount with multiple people telling their side of the story. It is at times a 2nd or 3rd hand recount. This is very interesting as the reader gains different perspectives yet must remember that due to the nature of recount, stories can be manipulated or bias. The structure also allows to give otherwise insignificant characters, a voice, eg. Isabella’s letter to Nelly.
* Imagery – Pathetic fallacy i.e. the technique used when nature empathises with the characters or situation, eg. Stormy weather when there’s a drastic change – I think this happens when Catherine tells Nelly that it would be degrading to marry Heathcliff and then Heathcliff leaves Wuthering Heights.
* Contrast – contrast is featured strongly, especially between characters, eg. Heathcliff and Edgar, and Catherine and Isabella.
* Language – use of evocative language to emphasise with certain characters. Note: the many ambiguities add strength to the novel. “Brontë’s defiance of rigid categories and her refusal to divide people into saints and sinners, is very un-Victorian … Heathcliff’s cruelty and Cathy’s selfishness do not prevent them from being attractive. The Lintons are spoiled and weak, but Isabella’s and her son’s sufferings and Edgar’s devotion to his wife win them sympathy.” – enotes.com

MARXIST:
- Look at:
* Heathcliff’s social disadvantage
* Otherness
* Race
* Class
* Education
* Contrast in lives – Thrushcross Grange: rich and pompous lives, they don’t seem to have to work, compared with Wuthering Heights: brutal, harsh – refer to specific descriptive language i.e. quote!
* A very Marxist idea was to start the novel with Heathcliff already the master – he’s at the top!
* This contrasts with feminist reading.

FEMINIST:
- Look at:
* Thrushcross Grange – the privilege and prestige to live there.
* The contrast between the different females – Catherine and Isabella, Catherine and Cathy.
* Behaviour “tone” of voice for these differences.
* Dialogue.

if anyone's got any good quotes for some of the things mentioned please add them!

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
thnx

this has really helped thnx.... i can't believe so little schools are doing wuthering heights!!!! most are doing King Lear in my school.... we have like 8 english adv classes and only 2 are doing wuthering heights, its so boring and so hard... dun noe how to relate some quotes and research on critiques with references to the readings like marxist, feminist and psychoanalytical :angry: :angry:

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
wuthering heights is so hard... and there is such a lack of notes in bored of studies!!!

here's my contribution to the site and the forum.... please ppls help everyone out!!!

Psychoanalytic theories see human behaviour as being influenced by our subconscious and that action is often influenced by factors we are not aware of within us. There is the Freudian Reading and the Jungian Reading where each saw things differently but where focusing on the subconscious and human behaviour.

A Freudian Reading of a text will focus on how the emotions and thoughts of the persona/character in the text emerge out of their past experiences that have been repressed. Freud saw people as being made up of the id, the ego and the superego. The id is the primitive force, energy and instinctive drive (including sexual urges) in Wuthering Heights the id was Heathcliff. The ego is the perception of reality, checking the forces of the id, in relation to the real world. It controls the id and relates to other people and society, in Wuthering Heights, Catherine is the ego. The superego is represents the rules of proper behaviour, is civilised and cultured. It tries to control the id and ego, it acts as the conscience.

Jungian theory saw that behaviour is determined by past conflicts, as well as aims and motivations. The most common and influential archetypes are the shadow, the animus and the anima. The shadow is absolute evil that is emotional and uncontrollable. Catherine’s wild side and dark side is influenced by Heathcliff, he is her shadow. The anima/animus archetype relates to what individuals need to balance themselves. A female seeks male qualities of the animus and the male seeks the female characteristics of the anima. In Wuthering Heights, Catherine and Heathcliff are seen as one. They each seek the other for what they lack. Heathcliff seeks his anima in Catherine while Catherine seeks her animus in Heathcliff.

Hope this helps!!!! our teacher gave us so many notes!!! hope i do well in this year's hsc!!! wish me luck... i have a wuthering heights essay assessment to do in 2 weeks time and if i explain to ppls... it will help me remember more!!!

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
i go to Cherrybrook Technology High School!! you noe... one of the largest schools in da state!!! we have like bout 300 ppl in our grade for yr 12 thats why we have bout 8 english adv classes

yappy_is_happy

HSC
Bah... Wuthering Heights. I had a sudden realisation that I really didn't like the book.
I go to CTHS too. it's a ridiculously large but absolutely fantastic~ awesome people there!

Last edited:

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I did Wuthering Heights last year and it was such a bitch. It asks for intepretations of the texts, but teachers advise you not to overly quote critics, but you'd think that's the point since it helps support your argument.
But basically, I think you have to pay critical attention to the themes (love, transgression etc) and different interpretations (eg feminist, Marxist etc), because you could be ask to contrast the themes with interpretations from specific eras/concepts.
Good luck

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
yappy_is_happy said:
Bah... Wuthering Heights. I had a sudden realisation that I really didn't like the book.
I go to CTHS too. it's a ridiculously large but absolutely fantastic~ awesome people there!
Reading the book more than once can seriously help though

onigiri

HSC
When I first read this book I thought OMG! this book is a bitch and I hated it due to all the relationships and the screwyness. Now that I'm studying it I actually like the book and I love the characters espceially Heathcliff, maan hahaha~

At school we're nearly finished Module B and I'm kinda sad about leaving this topic behind though I still don't really understand what were supposed to do within this module. I still don't really get the ideas behind the readings.

Butterfly Kissz

i wana go bak to unsw!
HSC
DNT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE THE NOVEL WITH SUCH BAD MERIT..

those of you who criticise the novel do so becuase u cant or dont really or fully understand the concepts and the values behind the novel and therefore find it frustrating or a novel full of crap...

at first, i thought the novel was crap and i hated it, but after further study and insight into the novel you come to understand the considerable merit of the novel and the reasons for its canonical nature in the english canon. you also come to understand why the novel is considered a classic.

in order to understand the novel u must:

* understand the general context of which it is written
* understand the context of which emily bronte wrote in and her environment
* understand her upbringing and isolation and why the setting of WH is so important and how the novel wouldnt be as classic as it is if the story was set somewhere else
* understand the biographical nature of WH and its close relation to the author
* TRY NOT TO ENCODE THE NOVEL THRU MODERNITY BUT THRU THE WAY BRONTE CONSTRUCTED THE NOVEL. (THIS IS EVERY1'S BIGGEST MISTAKE.. UNDERSTAND THE NOVEL'S CONCEPTS THE WAY BRONTE INTENDED THEM AND TO DO THIS U MUST LOOK AT BRONTE'S CONTEXT)
* Understand why it is considered a classic:
- no other 2 characters in the whole of eng lit like heathcliff and catherine
- no nother novel in eng lit that is so unconventional
- unconventional love story- where happiness is only achieved thru forces beyond physical love- love is transcendent
- narraive structure is so complex
- universal themes
- etc..
* talk about themes which contain universality and therefore audience can relate no matter what era
* talk about the problems for the modern reader, this aspect also makes its a classic and distinguishable
*cyclical structure and everything that is in pairs- like names
* understand the passion of the novel in all respects and emotions
* the constant natural imagery used and its significance...

then talk about the criticisms...
marxist
feminist
psychoanalytical
humanist
etc...

there are so many things u need to consider when writing about the novel.. and its not as bad as u think it is. this was my best module.. WH is a great novel with considerable amounts of merit... learn to understand it...

i tutor WH for eng...
so if u need tutoring in it.. u know who to ask..

Aprille
oxo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)