Module C: representation and text - History and Memory (1 Viewer)

HSC
I don't understand the whole representation thing.
Is it through the use of photographs, archives, memoirs etc. that representation of history and memory occur?
e.g. How has this interplay affected the representation of events, personalities, or situations in The Fiftieth Gate and at least ONE other text?

Okashi

HSC
Have you read the book? Not sure how I can do that bit for you.
And for certain it's not through images..

iBibah

HSC
I don't understand the whole representation thing.
Is it through the use of photographs, archives, memoirs etc. that representation of history and memory occur?
e.g. How has this interplay affected the representation of events, personalities, or situations in The Fiftieth Gate and at least ONE other text?
Representation = techniques.

Hence the word 'how' in the question.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How always means that you need to discuss techniques....

BRegs

HSC
Well, history is presented through documents, archival information etc. in The Fiftieth Gate.

We had a similar question in our H&M task a few weeks back. I got a 16/20, which wasn't too bad considering I had no idea what I was writing about. Turns out, I sort of did. You just have to show how history and memory interfuse - and what happens when they do. I ran with the thesis that was something along the lines of 'history and memory interfuse together to create a more authentic, genuine representation of _______ for the reader". Something like that will get you good marks!

HSC
Well, history is presented through documents, archival information etc. in The Fiftieth Gate.

We had a similar question in our H&M task a few weeks back. I got a 16/20, which wasn't too bad considering I had no idea what I was writing about. Turns out, I sort of did. You just have to show how history and memory interfuse - and what happens when they do. I ran with the thesis that was something along the lines of 'history and memory interfuse together to create a more authentic, genuine representation of _______ for the reader". Something like that will get you good marks!
I thought i knew what I was doing but I ended up getting a 9/20 : / sure I only did it in one night but i thought it was legit anyway the comments pretty much said I didn't show how history and memory can be used to create an effective representation of an event, personality or situation.
I talked about history and memory separate and focused on the subjectivity and objectivity but I didn't have enough time to write how they work together maybe that would've got me the marks?

HSC
Have you read the book? Not sure how I can do that bit for you.
And for certain it's not through images..
I have read part of the book I just don't know what Im looking for and we've analysed quotes in class

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
English Advanced is 90% techniques :)
The module is simply asking you to point out that through a composer's use of techniques, they are able to represent events, situations, and personalities in a specific light - e.g. a simile like "her temper and rage was like a ticking time bomb, eager to explode" suggests that the person is violent and volatile. It's ultimately in the composer's control, which is why you need to mention that composers have the ability to "manipulate" their texts in a manner fit for their choosing :)

Hope this helps!

HSC
English Advanced is 90% techniques :)
The module is simply asking you to point out that through a composer's use of techniques, they are able to represent events, situations, and personalities in a specific light - e.g. a simile like "her temper and rage was like a ticking time bomb, eager to explode" suggests that the person is violent and volatile. It's ultimately in the composer's control, which is why you need to mention that composers have the ability to "manipulate" their texts in a manner fit for their choosing :)

Hope this helps!
what! is that it?! omg wow ahahhahahah thanks!

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
what! is that it?! omg wow ahahhahahah thanks!
Yeah essentially. It's a dud module that even senior English teachers despise for it's shallowness... I can't really give you help on History and Memory as I did the other elective, but that's the central concept underpinning the module as a whole.

HSC
Yeah essentially. It's a dud module that even senior English teachers despise for it's shallowness... I can't really give you help on History and Memory as I did the other elective, but that's the central concept underpinning the module as a whole.
i hate it too :L thats okay thanks for all your help :)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
i hate it too :L thats okay thanks for all your help :)
Yeah absolutely loathed it. Never felt like I was writing anything worthy of a Band 6 because there is literally very little depth you can go to in the essay... But no problems! All the best for trials/hsc! :)

HSC
Yeah absolutely loathed it. Never felt like I was writing anything worthy of a Band 6 because there is literally very little depth you can go to in the essay... But no problems! All the best for trials/hsc! :)
mhmmm i know ahahah thanks again :D

nifkeh

HSC
respresented = how audience perceives it. biased? inaccurate? skewed? or accurately

yes techniques are a must for anything. you need to talk about representation or else the marking criteria will screw you up. i didn't know thinking it was history and memory and most i got was a 11/15 in last assessment

HSC
respresented = how audience perceives it. biased? inaccurate? skewed? or accurately

yes techniques are a must for anything. you need to talk about representation or else the marking criteria will screw you up. i didn't know thinking it was history and memory and most i got was a 11/15 in last assessment
yeah i talked about history and memory too and i got 9 / 20 : /

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
*how the audience is forced to perceive it by the author's use of techniques. Biased and inaccurate representations are things you have to accept in Mod C, so you kind of have to discuss the author's purpose for manipulating their representation.

nifkeh

HSC
*how the audience is forced to perceive it by the author's use of techniques. Biased and inaccurate representations are things you have to accept in Mod C, so you kind of have to discuss the author's purpose for manipulating their representation.
i don't mean to say your answer is wrong because it's not.. but I'm just thinking how your last sentence would relate in my selected text for mod C, keeping in mind there's like 4 prescribeds. I'm doing Fiftieth Gate and a documentary by an independent filmmaker journalist person, I kind of don't really see how that would fit in necessarily as an argument as they both act like historians in compiling their texts

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)