Modules Adv... memorising essays, winging or in between? (1 Viewer)

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
bekmay said:
me too memorised both my creative and journeys piece today and im so glad i did... i would have ran out of time if i didnt... it just flew out of my hand onto the paper =] hardly even had to think YAY.
sameo.
i loved that i knew my creative writing back to front, plus it allowed me to fit it more to curious traveller but not be too distracted since i knew where the story was headed.

i'll be memorising my generic essays. i'd be way too freaked out otherwise. for all my other subjects im fine with winging it, but english i just can't for some reason lol.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
im just worried they're gonna make us refer to THREE speeches instead of the common 2. they did it in 2005 =(
i've really just learnt two in detail. i pretty much dont know anything about the rest lol.

i am not going to memorise entire essays. too demanding.
im just going through the themes and memorising examples and quotes.
the interpretation part, intro and conclusion ill just do on the spot.

i hope they dont make us write a speech!! i hate writing speeches.:(

inter108

HSC
Transformations Clueless/Emma

Speeches Martin Luthor and Emma Goldman as they mainly only ask to demonstrate two but i have Socrates in the back seat.

Powerplay Antony and Cleopatra.

Supps? Unknown still LMAO

Any ideas for supps?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
inter108 said:
Transformations Clueless/Emma

Speeches Martin Luthor and Emma Goldman as they mainly only ask to demonstrate two but i have Socrates in the back seat.

Powerplay Antony and Cleopatra.

Supps? Unknown still LMAO

Any ideas for supps?
i am using the novel 'Animal Farm' and the documentary 'McLibel'.

Mumless

HSC
I'm pretty much going to memorise my Harwood essay from the trial HSC, mostly memorise In The Wild (with some additions), and completely re-write the bitch that is Frontline.

regerterb

HSC
N/A
mm i have 4 poems for critical study out of the 6 set and i have memorised the quites, techniques etc for them. im hoping they dont be specific and ask for the other 2..that i havent done in detail..damn them if they do..but just in case i have quotes up my sleeve lol its just if i remember them on monday lol
transformation i have all my stuff from trials..with just tweak for question...but ill do some more study on characterisation as one paper one year asked specifically about a character in the play (AH NIGHTMARE :uhoh: ) so and telling the truth im not sure..they COULD ask for a specific episode but i dont think they will as we have related texts for that one too..they wouldnt make it so complicated..i dont THINK bah i hate not knowing if they are going to ask a specific! its so hard to know what to do lol oh well..we shall just have to see..in trials the one i thought i went worst in and pretty much made up on the spot i got 19/20 for it ..so..haha im not sure? you can never tell really....

Monika D

HSC
I don't necessarily memorise completed essays. I prefer to memorise important points which relate to the rubric which allow for variation in the question. For example it's usually difficult to make a general prepared essay fit into a question about characterisation :)

B

bekmay

Mumless said:
I'm pretty much going to memorise my Harwood essay from the trial HSC, mostly memorise In The Wild (with some additions), and completely re-write the bitch that is Frontline.
what are your set texts for in the wild?? cos i am doing both harwood and frontline too... absolutely HATE frontline

LEITCHY

HSC
I Have done no study for the monday exam so far since the trials besides going over it in class and shit.
Trying to write a yeats essay containing christian and postmodern readings and i already have a bnw and br essay done just gotta memorise it again and then gotta memba supp texts for history and memory should be fine..
Just relax and let your hands fly off the essays ..
Good luck everyone for monday..

mynameisemma

HSC
How do you know what to write your prepared/generic/whatever essay on without knowing what the question will be? You can't answer the question if you don't know what it is.... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the mindset of memorising a generic essay. Sure, memorise quotes, techniques, themes (you have to) but then adapt them to whatever question you get. God, I have to get off this site and study...

jazzyphaye

HSC
mynameisemma said:
How do you know what to write your prepared/generic/whatever essay on without knowing what the question will be? You can't answer the question if you don't know what it is.... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the mindset of memorising a generic essay. Sure, memorise quotes, techniques, themes (you have to) but then adapt them to whatever question you get. God, I have to get off this site and study...
memorising an essay gives the comfort of knowing you can go in and start writing right away .. however you gotta be pretty good at manipulation to do that though in order to suit the question..

believe me it really helps

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
i learn my structure of my essay, what im including in each paragraph, the layout, techniques, quotes....but i modify it everytime i write it...thats better so i can adapt it to the question

lanymphet

HSC
mynameisemma said:
well you see, you go through past hsc questions and see the things they ask for every year. then you begin to realise mutual themes, techniques and points and u write an essay that practically addresses the requirements of the syllabus. to with emma and clueless, my essay constantly explores the transformation process. and therefore i cant go wrong. u link it to the question that is given in the exam by integrating the key terms of the question etc.

my only problem is.. KING LEAR! wtf u cant prepare a generic essay at all. its is soooo crap. hate it.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Monika D said:
I don't necessarily memorise completed essays. I prefer to memorise important points which relate to the rubric which allow for variation in the question. For example it's usually difficult to make a general prepared essay fit into a question about characterisation :)
Exactly. I might have a scaffold that I follow but thats about it.

EmmaCEgan

HSC
I'm going all the notes I made about the texts and that, but overall I am winging it a bit. No point stressing ;)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Ugh, don't wing it guys. Such a waste of marks -.-

How's everyone memorising their essays/cheet sheets etc? I'm reciting mine but it gets so tiring :(

HSC
Sam(uel) said:
Wow. That must suck a bit, teacher didn't prepare you very well D:
A month before our half-yearlies started my teacher made us do 9 King Lear essays for practice. 6 written at home and 3 in class. Got over it like wow
it wasn't our teacher, it's the entire school. our teacher is awesome and helpful, i just send him essays and he tells me what to improve :)

we never did essays aside from the trial... of all the modules we spent the least time on Lear, and the time we had was spent on the final assessment (a speech on productions).

anyway, looking back at this thread, i WISH i had memorised a Lear essay. the question was so generic, anything could have worked and i would have sounded sophisticated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)