• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Monash Scholarships (1 Viewer)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Anyone had any offers yet?

The $6,000k p.a. that they've thrown towards me is a nice ego boost but I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to reject it for greener pastures.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I am here! said:
Anyone had any offers yet?

The $6,000k p.a. that they've thrown towards me is a nice ego boost but I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to reject it for greener pastures.
Out of interest - where are you heading if not Monash?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Out of interest - where are you heading if not Monash?
ANU -

i) more dosh (NUS - $10k p.a. plus 2 flights home / year)
ii) cheaper to live
iii) the PhB

Should be fun!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
What course were you up for at Monash? I've never heard of the PhB, I went to have a look at it on the ANU website. Interesting, it's only available as an honours degree... hmm...

What will faculty will you be going into?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
LLB / BSc was my highest Monash preference - which would've been interesting as i) I have no interest in studying law, and ii) I have no interest in a career in science.

Yeah, the PhB has a fully integrated Honours year - but that is strictly academic for me, I would've liked to, and consequently aimed for, Honours at whatever institution / course I decided to enrol into.

Faculty = CASS / major = philosophy. I should add 'hopefully' as I'm still awaiting an offer (as er like everyone is) but I'd like to think that it is in the bag.

Are you sitting your final exams this year?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I am here! said:
LLB / BSc was my highest Monash preference - which would've been interesting as i) I have no interest in studying law, and ii) I have no interest in a career in science.

Yeah, the PhB has a fully integrated Honours year - but that is strictly academic for me, I would've liked to, and consequently aimed for, Honours at whatever institution / course I decided to enrol into.

Faculty = CASS / major = philosophy. I should add 'hopefully' as I'm still awaiting an offer (as er like everyone is) but I'd like to think that it is in the bag.
Why did you pick LLB/BSc if you didn't have an interest in it in the first place?

Are you looking to go into academia after graduating from the PhB, perhaps a PhD? I find it interesting that an LLB has clearer career pathway whereas you've chosen (quite validly if that is what you want to do) to major in philosophy which is notorious for having a less clear career path, hence I asked if you are looking at academia. Either way good luck with an offer.

I am here! said:
Are you sitting your final exams this year?
No I finished Yr12 many many moons ago. I was a university academic for a number of years before leaving it all behind to undertake a Juris Doctor for a complete change of career.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Why did you pick LLB/BSc if you didn't have an interest in it in the first place?

Are you looking to go into academia after graduating from the PhB, perhaps a PhD? I find it interesting that an LLB has clearer career pathway whereas you've chosen (quite validly if that is what you want to do) to major in philosophy which is notorious for having a less clear career path, hence I asked if you are looking at academia. Either way good luck with an offer.

No I finished Yr12 many many moons ago. I was a university academic for a number of years before leaving it all behind to undertake a Juris Doctor for a complete change of career.
Oh shit, sorry to assume on the age front. :uhoh:

Ah, I didn't say I had 'no' interest in an LLB / BSc double degree - just a very 'convoluted' interest, so to speak. Whilst I think I'd hate to study law, I think I would enjoy it as a career. Vice versa with science: whilst I can't imagine myself in a lab coat, I find it very engaging as a subject.

So, in other words, I did / do have an interest in it, but it would've been too frustrating a compromise, really.

I am not too sure what I want to do after my PhB, but I cannot see myself regretting it. Basically, to me, it is almost a end in itself - but then again, chances are I will go on to further study.

Strangely enough, what's most attractive is one of those PhD / JD programs that they have going on in the US of A (I know UPenn, Columbia and NYU do them amongst others) - for the flexibility if not anything else. If that goes down will basically depend on if I can get funding.

Why academic -> lawyer? the pay?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Would I be intruding if I asked where you worked in the academic world?

Seriously, if you have any pointers (I mean, apart from 'get the hell out of there, damn smart') - they would be much appreciated, academia seems like one treacherous place from all I've read around.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I am here! said:
Strangely enough, what's most attractive is one of those PhD / JD programs that they have going on in the US of A (I know UPenn, Columbia and NYU do them amongst others) - for the flexibility if not anything else. If that goes down will basically depend on if I can get funding.
What kind of flexibility are you looking for? A PhD in law is mostly for those who are looking to go into academia or govt policy role. Other than that, a JD could get you quite far on its own.

I am here! said:
Why academic -> lawyer? the pay?
Ah... many many reasons.

I am here! said:
Seriously, if you have any pointers (I mean, apart from 'get the hell out of there, damn smart') - they would be much appreciated, academia seems like one treacherous place from all I've read around.
The 'treachery' is probably about the same as you would find in most other workplaces. Funding is competitive especially when it's coming from one primary source like the NHMRC but it works differently in other areas of academia where sources of funding may be more fragmented and opportunistic. Academia is not as bad as you're making it out to be.

I am here! said:
Would I be intruding if I asked where you worked in the academic world?
Medical research.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
What kind of flexibility are you looking for? A PhD in law is mostly for those who are looking to go into academia or govt policy role. Other than that, a JD could get you quite far on its own.

Ah... many many reasons.

The 'treachery' is probably about the same as you would find in most other workplaces. Funding is competitive especially when it's coming from one primary source like the NHMRC but it works differently in other areas of academia where sources of funding may be more fragmented and opportunistic. Academia is not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Medical research.
There is no way in hell I would take my PhD in law (yet again, as a career = plausible, as study = I want to vomit) - I imagine I couldn't slog out the, what 5 or so years unless it was something I enjoyed, i.e. philosophy.

The two sort of complement each other I think and whilst I am sure that prospective employers won't exactly appreciate the effort, I am keen to do it for my own personal (read: intellectual) benefit.

And yeah, I know academia has its perks - after all, it is my Plan A. But mediocrity in law > mediocrity in academia, I think, if you know what I'm getting at.

Quite a turn around from med -> law - wow!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
ANU -

i) more dosh (NUS - $10k p.a. plus 2 flights home / year)
ii) cheaper to live
iii) the PhB

Should be fun!
are you going to be staying at a college at ANU? cos that takes up the whole scholarship straight away...
and monash scholarships include all HECS fees paid, whereas NUS at ANU doesn't.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I am here! said:
Quite a turn around from med -> law - wow!
Med research stemming from a biomedical science degree. I don't have an MBBS degree I don't want to produce any misconceptions here. :)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
are you going to be staying at a college at ANU? cos that takes up the whole scholarship straight away...
and monash scholarships include all HECS fees paid, whereas NUS at ANU doesn't.
Yeah, re: college - but hey, I'm from Bunbury (SW of WA) so, really, it's all the same to me.

Um no, the thing I was offered at Monash was just $6,000 p.a. (Monash University Merit S/S) which is basically due to me being a lazy arse and not applying for anything last year.

A sob story: I was ruled ineligible for oh i) UMelb National S/S, ii) USyd Outstanding Whatever S/S, iii) UNSW Scientia and iv) Monash ??? S/S - from my retarded ignorance of the selection criteria (i.e. immediate school leavers blah) - so, despite with my very pretty numbers, they could not consider me.

iha8buks

HSC
how does this whole scholarship thing works... ?

if i get 3 HD, and 2 D, or if i get all HD...will i b eligible for a scholarship ? :s

do i have to contach them, or will they contact me, they as in, the one in academic authority ! ? :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)