• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Money Smart (1 Viewer)

Your stable weekly income (as a student)

• < $50

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • < $100

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • < $150

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • < $200

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • < $250

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • > $300

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

Generator

HSC
N/A
I meant that if you had to choose between paying your HECS fees upfront and, say, having fun, then it would be a better idea to defer. Basically, my general point is that you should only pay up front if you are loaded. Besides, is there any real problem with a small fraction of your earnings going towards your HECS debt in the future? At least we have the interest-free loan option, which is something that many people seem to forget.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I think it would be a lot better feeling to finish uni debt free, with all your earnings going to YOU

jayz

walking
HECS should b classified as a liability, and doesn't matter how cheap the liability is, it's bad, anyhow, some ppl choose to defer hecs, mayb bcoz eventhough they hav the money to pay it all back, they r findn better opportunities to investment and earn more money, but tat's unusual, since most of us dunt hav the intial money at the 1st place

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
I think it would be a lot better feeling to finish uni debt free, with all your earnings going to YOU
Unfortunately not all of us are rich enough to afford that.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
on the topic of HECS, im deferring it all, simply coz I don't have the moolah now to pay it ;)
but the way i see it, im going to get a job, live cheap for a couple of years and throw all my money into paying it back, so its not like I'm gunna have this massive debt over my head for 30 years or whatever.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Originally posted by jayz
one question on currency trading, does your broker charge u any fees? at wat rate? and u generally wouldn't go into currency trading unless u hav large amount of funds, i.e. excess of 10000, tat's to my belief, correct me if i am wrong
you are right, you wouldnt do currency trading online without a large (for us students) amount to start out with...most of these accounts start out at US$10,000 but you can get mini ones from US$300 up...i've only traded currency maybe 3 or 4 times and even then i ask my dad to do it for me, and i only did it when i was 90% certain of favourable price changes and only after my capital base increased dramatically after several good investments in the share market...(there's a term for those stocks i purchased but i dont know what it is in english)...also i'm not sure of the rates they charge here because i dont use Australian market, but before when i was about to, i think the cheapest may have been $14.95 per transaction in the ASX from HSBC...of cos i never looked into it much

jayz

walking
jezz, u must b living at some high class penthouse, 200bux on rent? tat's crazy....my guesstimation can b sometimes out of date

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
$200 on rent isn't too bad, depends on the area though, the place i'm at is $660 a week between 3 of us. It's a decent place close to Manly Wharf though so we're paying for the location, but its perfect for work and transport and the like so i don't mind paying for it.

jayz

walking
....no wonder, manly....u guyz must b millionaires...i thought if u were to share a place, 150 would b the max rent u'd b lookn at, if u were a student...

on the matter of renting, do u noe where i can find good private rental ads? (i.e. websites? papers?)

thx

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by jayz
....no wonder, manly....u guyz must b millionaires...i thought if u were to share a place, 150 would b the max rent u'd b lookn at, if u were a student...

on the matter of renting, do u noe where i can find good private rental ads? (i.e. websites? papers?)

thx
It'd be wonderful if I could join that group who could call themselves millionaires, but in reality, the place we share involves, myself, a student who works at a bank, my girlfriend who is a teacher at a north shore high school and currently doing a masters part time, and another girl who my girlfriend went to uni with who is combining work for an insuarance company with uni studies.... so 2 of us work 4 days a week while the other works 5 days, so it's not like we're the typical student sharehouse.

And we chose the place because we all use the ferry to get to places of work so its more of a transport thing regarding where we live.

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
Originally posted by jay2000
you are right, you wouldnt do currency trading online without a large (for us students) amount to start out with...most of these accounts start out at US$10,000 but you can get mini ones from US$300 up...i've only traded currency maybe 3 or 4 times
i want to start investing too. how do you start? and what the procedure? i want to invest $1000 for a year.
you said you have traded before, by how much or how many % did your investment increased? thanks

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Probably best start would be the net..research what you need, minimum capital requirements, or ask for a brochure at the bank.

Also i don't think me telling you my gains would be a good indication of how much you'll earn lol. But if you want to know, i've only made one investment on the ASX for the stock 'HTA'.
I don't recall the exact details, but i purchsed a few thousand, maybe $5,000-6,000 worth of shares at $0.26 and sold at $0.34 (Approx.) Think i held on to them for maybe ...a month? I don't remember. Now i just left it with a funds manager in HK.

jayz

walking
Originally posted by jay2000
i've only made one investment on the ASX for the stock 'HTA'.
I don't recall the exact details, but i purchsed a few thousand, maybe $5,000-6,000 worth of shares at $0.26 and sold at $0.34 (Approx.) Think i held on to them for maybe ...a month? I don't remember. Now i just left it with a funds manager in HK.
lol, funny u mentioned tat, i am still finkn abt whether to buy it or not, HTA (hutchinson telecome) is basically the 3G network in aus, it's main business operation is in HK, and i fink since the start of the company, it's being running at extraordinary losses. but as we all noe, 3G is getn cheap enough for many consumers to transfer from other networks, last wk there was a report abt 3 attracting many of its new customers from Optus, so if tat's the indication, no doubt in a few yr's time, 3G will become as large of a competitor in the mobile market as optus, (plus, bcoz 3G is in a totally new band, i.e. 3ghz band, it won't need to compete for band license), but then again, if HK decides to withdraw funds from aus's operations...:(, let's hope tat won't happen

HSC
I make about $450 or so after tax, but being a casual job it is sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less. When next semester starts at uni i will be cutting back my shifts so that i will be on about $350 a week which is still alright... :/

HECS upfront is well worth it :)

jayz

walking
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
I make about $450 or so after tax, but being a casual job it is sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less. When next semester starts at uni i will be cutting back my shifts so that i will be on about $350 a week which is still alright... :/

HECS upfront is well worth it :)
just out of extreme curiousity, how in the world did u get a casual position earning 450 AFTER TAX? i'll pay u commision if u get me a casual job lyk tat.

Ribbon

I get about $140 working 1 day a week (after tax)
+ $80 scholarship money

=$240 per week

jayz

walking
what r ur weekly expenses most commonly based upon? and how much would they tally up to?

mine- going out $50, fone -$10, (possilbe rent etc, which would all add up to $180)

so in all around $240 if i moved out, and tat's around 80% of my income... in other words, i save around 20%

how abt u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)