Money (1 Viewer)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I have chosen to apply as a full HECS supported student in UNSW. Are there any other fees which I have to pay? Any additional expenses?

Thanks for any help.

sig

HSC
I think $250 per year if your on the kensington campus

ace

is retired
HSC
To give an indication of union fees for the Kensignton campus full time, last years (2004) were;

245.35 Per semester union fees
490.70 Per year all up

----------------------------------------------

On a side note;

I'm not against the union, I’m against the nearly $500 a year for a union, its not like they provide free shuttle rides to central. Controlled unionism with voluntary subsidiaries would be better.

I.e. The main unit, $x amount each year, compulsory (like some other uni's, normally caps off at around 150-200 a year), then you have the optional elements, e.g. the sport club, bible study people, subsidized beer club etc.

Sooner or later, the rising cost of the union fees, will force VSU to become a reality, lower the costs now, or die soon enough (Referring to the head Union bureaucrats).

(For those who don't know what VSU is, it is the Voluntary Student Union, aka, its your option to pay the union fees to be part of the union or not. When you get to uni, you'll know what the Union is, it’s where your $500 a year goes towards for the union to print out billions of flyer's saying VSU is bad)

Last edited:

sig

HSC
awww crap is it $500 a year?? I thought it was 250 for the whole year :(

shannonm

HSC
N/A
ace said:
When you get to uni, you'll know what VSU is, it’s where your $500 a year goes for the union to print out billions of flyer's saying VSU is bad)
err, just a correction, it's because of CSU that our hard earned is constantly wasted on junk, not VSU.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
damm Christian Student Union.

a crazy thought: we should all declare our religious status and all christians should be forced to deduct a % (say 5%) out of their family's total income (parents + kids) to contribute to the church and other christian-themed activities on campus. since there are many churches and church groups, i think all christians should put their money where their mouth is and contribute to the churches which any devout christian would attend, because in any other church they would be socially pressured by the rest of the congregation to "donate". christianity should be taxed for the interests of the majority.

*partially intoxicated*

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
how much $$$ are they really using btw?

If a lot, then in order to make the most out of the union fees I shall become christian temporarily everytime there's a barbeque by these christians ;)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
§eraphim said:
damm Christian Student Union.

a crazy thought: we should all declare our religious status and all christians should be forced to deduct a % (say 5%) out of their family's total income (parents + kids) to contribute to the church and other christian-themed activities on campus. since there are many churches and church groups, i think all christians should put their money where their mouth is and contribute to the churches which any devout christian would attend, because in any other church they would be socially pressured by the rest of the congregation to "donate". christianity should be taxed for the interests of the majority.

*partially intoxicated*
I swear, those people really piss me off. I was just sitting in front of the library waiting for my bridging course on the first day when they come up and talk for like half an hour. It's really hard to get away from them without being rude.

hatty

Banned
assuming ive comepletely defered all my HECS contributions. so its $500 a year and thats all? no nasty surprises?

ace

is retired
HSC
shannonm said:
err, just a correction, it's because of CSU that our hard earned is constantly wasted on junk, not VSU.
Sorry about that, I was thinking of something else at the time, and got my last sentence confused. Edited accordingly. I meant to say in a jist, the UNION is evil and broadcasts propaganda.)

ace

is retired
HSC
Curry said:
I swear, those people really piss me off. I was just sitting in front of the library waiting for my bridging course on the first day when they come up and talk for like half an hour. It's really hard to get away from them without being rude.
True, they give Christians a BAD NAME.

ace

is retired
HSC
hatty said:
assuming ive comepletely defered all my HECS contributions. so its $500 a year and thats all? no nasty surprises?
Perhaps one nasty surprise. If you earn over the compulsory threshold for repayment, you could be facing a somewhat small debt come tax time. I think the first threshold is set somewhere around earning $32000 a year. So unless you don't earn that much in a year, no worries.

Real Nasty surprises;
- Courses forcing you to buy the textbook
- Courses forcing you to buy there notes with exercises (Commerce/Maths)

Guess that's about it.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
You dont have to pay those union fees.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
hey, if u neva find work and neva earn over the 32, 000 or wateva it is u need to earn to start repaying ur HECS loan......does this mean u neva pay it back.....

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Ghost said:
ahhaha...rithwick i thought u were christian?
Think I didn't tell them that Rifat? They still wan't you to join their 'club'.

Ghost

Lost
HSC
man...u gotta be kidding me.....but hey its worse then having Jehovas Witness behind you preaching the end of the world even after you tell them ur muslim

ace

is retired
HSC
Grobus said:
You dont have to pay those union fees.
I wish that was true. But if you don't pay them, they don't release your marks apparently. Or do you mean, there is some way to get them waived. I read your other posts about bycotting the fees, saying that you don't believe in them. That is all good in theory, but who do you actually approach to express your opinions, and get these fees nullified?

ace

is retired
HSC
Zarathustra said:
...or if you make over the threshold overseas, which is the reason why permanent residents can no longer defer payment.
I thought it was Permanet Residents and Citizens who could only defer payment.

I was under the impression only Internationl Students were the ones forced to cough up the dough straight away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)