monitor problem (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
one of my friends is having a problem with his monitor. the horizontal width is very narrow and the vertical height is too large. both are at the maximum and minimum 'stretchness' respectively.

the monitor is a proview, about 4 yrs old.

what should he do?

thanks

Huy

HSC
N/A
Can he still see the text 'normally' (that is, can he still read things, even though they might be slanted/skewed).

Try lowering the resolution to default values (say 800*600) just to be safe, and then start configuring the monitor itself, changing the horizontal and vertical components using the on-screen display (OSD), there are buttons on the monitor so you'll be able to work it out.

If it's on "maximum stretchness", filling the entire monitor screen, then that's something I've never seen before. I *had* a proview in 1999 (15" CRT), and it failed on me. The monitor "died" -- stopped working, but before it did I would get random jerkiness, bits of the screen "chopped off" (some parts visible, some parts black), and overall unreliability.

I think he should buy a new monitor, because it's too old to keep, and it would cost a bit to replace (if there is any hardware fault).

Try plugging in another monitor, or have you tried using a different video card? Lowering the resolution? Changing the bit depth? Updated any video card drivers lately?

Rahul

Dead Member
tried chainging the resolution, which had no effect.
we played around with the osd settings, which had no effects.

might try to see what would happen if i plug in another monitor, if the picture still comes up incorrectly, then there is a problem with the video card, right?

i'll also check up if he upgraded video card drivers this arvo.

Huy

HSC
N/A
It might just be an old monitor that has decided to play up/stop working. My proview back in Year 8 was great for about 2 years, until it stuffed up on me, so I threw it out and got a new one.

Yep, if it's another (working) monitor, and it still wants to mess around with you, then it's the video card. How recent is it? Has he made any hardware changes, which could conflict with other devices, has he played around, added new software (specifically graphics related, video card/imaging related, or anything which can alter the video settings?), but most importantly you'll have to find out about the video card drivers and if he has used any unsigned ones (they are iffy sometimes).

If all else fails, you can try using the monitor on another computer, to see if it is the monitor itself (which I would think is the problem, not the video card).

That way, he can replace the monitor and keep the (working) video card :)

Rahul

Dead Member
lol the monitor swap sounds like a good idea:D

i have to be careful, him and i have the exact same monitors. lol.

thanks champ

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Only 4 years?

My old computer which is still being used has the monitor that came with my very old 386. Gooo 19 MHz !

Its an Osbourne 14" monitor which can do 800x600.

Surprisingly it has outlasted 2 of my other monitors that we have purchased....

Huy

HSC
N/A
I had an Osbourne monitor, it came with my 486, DX100. :D

It doesn't work anymore, I don't think.
I don't know where it is, but I don't think it works... unless it has turned into a monochrome monitor (it is that old... 10 yrs+) :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I had an Osbourne monitor, it came with my 486, DX100. :D

It doesn't work anymore, I don't think.
I don't know where it is, but I don't think it works... unless it has turned into a monochrome monitor (it is that old... 10 yrs+) :p
I had an osbourne too, came with my 486 DX66. Only it died, so I put it in a big plastic bag and smashed it with a hammer. Then I chucked it.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My 386 monitor is still alive and kicking! :D

Can't say the same for the computer though :/

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well my monitor likes to go all yellowy and fuzzy once in a while. :p

Rahul

Dead Member
oh yes that was another thing, the picture was also fuzzy and unfocused. does that lead you to believe that the monitor is the weakest link?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hahaha i get the yellow thing too :D

just wait till i get an LCD from overseas *grins*... no more suffering

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm you wouldn't like to hear this word... *CRACCKKKK!!!*

:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rahul
oh yes that was another thing, the picture was also fuzzy and unfocused. does that lead you to believe that the monitor is the weakest link?
It's still good. Unlike it breaks down on me... :p
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I'm you wouldn't like to hear this word... *CRACCKKKK!!!*

:D
It's another sound. ;)

Rahul

Dead Member
lol

nice to hear all these stories about yee ol' monitors;)

i have my old compaq, which is about 5-6 yrs old now. and is working very well, comp and monitor.

anyway, back to the problem, it turns out that there is a problem with the motherboard, where the videocard should be. so he is going to get a new(better) one because he still has warranty.:D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Faulty AGP slot, that's unheard of (to me)...

If it were onboard graphics/sound/LAN, then you might have a problem (or two, in rare circumstances)

but a faulty AGP slot itself is kind of weird,

goodluck to your friend, and congrats on the 'free' mainboard :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)