Monkey's brain controls robot arm (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Monkeys have been able to control robotic limbs using only their thoughts, scientists report.

The animals were able to feed themselves using prosthetic arms, which were controlled by brain activity.

Small probes, the width of a human hair, were inserted into the monkeys' primary motor cortex - the region of the brain that controls movement.

Writing in Nature journal, the authors said their work could eventually help amputees and people who are paralysed.

Lead researcher Dr Andrew Schwartz, who is based at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, said: "We are beginning to understand how the brain works using brain-machine interface technology.

"The more we understand about the brain, the better we'll be able to treat a wide range of brain disorders, everything from Parkinson's disease and paralysis to, eventually, Alzheimer's disease and perhaps even mental illness."

natural movement

With the probes inserted into the monkeys' motor cortices, computer software was used to interpret the brain's electrical impulses and translate them into movement through the robotic arm.

This arm was jointed like a human arm and possessed a "gripper" that mimics a hand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7423184.stm

fucking sweet :eek:

Video in link.

In related news: Chimps have a better memory than us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7124156.stm

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
This stuff is pretty wild. I think some of the first papers showing such results came out around 2003 (or similar). I think the basic idea was that they first trained a monkey to use a normal joystick to move a cursor on a screen, during which time they recorded the brain activity patterns which corresponded to different movements. They were then able to translate the signals into movements of a robotic arm which similarly controlled a joystick. Apparently the monkeys were fairly quick to catch on.

Last time I looked into this I found a medical R&D group that was in the process of trialling similar technology in humans, though I can't remember their name for the life of me. One of the most interesting applications is in people with 'locked-in syndrome' who are able to think but cannot move or otherwise communicate ("the closest thing to being buried alive" to scam wiki). They could have an implanted device which allowed them to interface with a computer and or a wheelchair (etc...) allowing them the possibility of movement and human interaction.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Computational theory of the brain gets closer and closer every day :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)