Monologue (1 Viewer)

awesomeness

HSC
does anyone know how strict they are on time limits? Because none of marking guidelines directly refer to the time. My IP monologue is around 20 seconds over the 8 minute mark. Should I desperately be trying to cut it down?

goosiegoo

HSC
awesomeness said:
does anyone know how strict they are on time limits? Because none of marking guidelines directly refer to the time. My IP monologue is around 20 seconds over the 8 minute mark. Should I desperately be trying to cut it down?
Well, according to my teacher if you go over 8 minutes they stop you... So if that is the case, then yes you should be trying to cut it down.

feeobee

HSC
vogue said:
change really
well i say explore differnt things lik remebr last yrs onstage
the girl on the bike
the angels in america one and that basic one htat boy did about suits start with a simple idea and explore but please dont be a clown please please please ... stops lil rant that makes no sense........

that suits guy is my brother :)

suzie66

HSC
Hey to the class of 2008. Thought I'd see what you're thinking.

Ideas for monologues ???? I've heard of Bombshells but sounds like so has everyone else - also know to steer clear of teen angst - so much for using your experiences !!

Has anyone ever done something from "the vagina monologues" ( can I please have NO moronic responses to that) or it that toooooo much for teachers and markers. Its very funny but..

Any words of wisdom from class of 2007 ?? Anyone got ideas to share ? I know drama people play it close to the chest ( don't want anyone to steal your BRILLIANT monologue - but how about some discussion. Surely it couls help us all

nagiha

HSC
A friend of mine did the 'Vagina Monologues' last year. It was very funny. The markers loved it. she ended up getting a band 6.

thesoftparade

HSC
What do you guys think of playing roles for the opposite gender.
Do you think a male could pull off "The Vagina Monologues" or a girl to pull of Simmonds from "The Removalists"?

HSC
hey im pretty sure im going to piece together parts of Notes on a Scandal with Judi Dench, she's such an insane character n i love it so much. but then again, im not completely sure

Shoelia

HSC
Pippa Elise said:
hey im pretty sure im going to piece together parts of Notes on a Scandal with Judi Dench, she's such an insane character n i love it so much. but then again, im not completely sure
that movie was great and highly disturbing, but i reckon thats a cool idea. I have terrible comic timing so anything funny is right out of the question for me...

memadison

HSC
MoJo0o0o said:
omg, im stressing out! i originally thought of doing this play by samuel beckett called happy days (which my teacher suggested) but reading over it and editing it ..it was sooo not for me...so now i bought this other book called 50 strong women pieces study guide..thinking it was monologues and something id be interested in..........it wasnt..so now im FREAKING OUT ..because my half yearly is on april the 4th and you need to show a little piece of the play.......:eek: :eek: :eek: i really need someones help...............just something i could work on...if anyone knows any monologues to do with grief and break downs..involving a female teenager....and around 6-8 minutes..then please PM or reply to this thread cause im gonna cry if i dont find something..lol

got a fav book or something?? you could steal a character from there

memadison

HSC
thesoftparade said:
Do you think a male could pull off "The Vagina Monologues" or a girl to pull of Simmonds from "The Removalists"?
hmm...i mean that would be skillfull...but maybe a bit too wanky? i mean i know we're meant to be all postmodern but i dont know about the markers... i think it can work in group performances but in individual its really in your face. i mean unless you're challenging that...

queenskingdom

HSC
oi i hav been through soooo many ideas, now im gunna do one based on boers in africa and use songs n stuff from movies like catch a fire and power of one? do u reckon itl be gay.??????? i dont know wat 2 do, i hav 2 show mine at the coffs harbour eisteddfodd.......... rrrrrrrr guna freeze up so bad!

queenskingdom

HSC
thesoftparade said:
i think someone got marks taken off for doing vagina monologues once, im not 100% and i know it sounds stupid but yeah just thought id say it just in case.

mollycoddle

HSC
I've decided to do the monologue from "Rumors" by Neil Simon.
I've changed it to a girls mono.
Does anyone know it/have any advice??

kiannafirerose

HSC
if u have no idea where to start think of a trait that u do really well n create a character with that trait n extras.
once u have the character the idea may come 2 u

hayleyg

HSC
anybody know any good websites with monologues on them, or any good books to buy with some intersting monologues in them?
thanks

jennieTalia

HSC
hayleyg said:
anybody know any good websites with monologues on them, or any good books to buy with some intersting monologues in them?
thanks
I would advise against both of these ideas. Most teachers will tell you that they are over done, poor quality and generally too short in length.

It is pretty late already, but for a monologue I would suggest trying a film that isn't too main stream and adapting a situation/character or even some of the words.
In our class most of us made our own monologues (I was a scripty though) we had:
One cannibal,
A chronic liar,
A lady freaking out about ageing (comedy)
A man in love with a dolphin (comedy)
Chicago girl
A Miss Julie monologue
A newsreport
And a whole lot of others.

I would suggest, for interesting movies to get ideas from, films like- Fight Club (although mainstream has some heaps interesting idea to play with), Primal Fear (my teacher was ALWAYS suggesting this film) etc
It really depends on the genre.
Look for fictional books that are in diary format, because then you can lift passages straight out of the book. (make sure you cite in logbook though) :)

Good Luck

six demon bag

HSC
With choosing my monologue, I found this piece of writing in a Tom Wait's CD cover that I just fell in love with. From there I matched it to a character who I could completley connect with. Now my script is made up of quotes, lyrics, that passage, film script, all of these different interpretations of my character. Point is, once I found something that I loved and could relate to everything became so much easier. Find something that suits you and go from there. Do what you love!

six demon bag

HSC
That's a brilliant idea! You'll have such a great script to work with and she's such a fierce character "A fucking vampire!" haha. Good luck, that sounds fantastic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)