Monologues (1 Viewer)

Natto

Hello everyone, I am a first time user and this is my first "Post"... Now I am a drama student, I have just started the year 12 syllabus.

My problem is I need some Ideas about good monologues that I can start pasting into my logbook and evaluating them....

Can some one please give me some suggestions, or some site links for some monologues, anything will do......

THANK YOU :)

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
I have one tip - don't go for any monologues you find off the internet... Go for ones from a book... Preferably, adapt a previous monologue - these usually gain more marks rather than a standard monologue anybody in the state could do... be an individual - this is what the markers are looking for - individuality... remember, it's an INDIVIDUAL project!

- m a d d o g z -

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Well, I agree with maddogz... KEEP AWAY from net monologues.. I seriously think that the best monologues are ones you write yourself... Find a character you like out of a play, book, film, or one you've done yourself and write your own monolgue... and most importantly, EXPERIMENT! take form and style to the nth dimension.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
nice one sparky....
i didn't do performance - but from what teachers tell the performance kids - just look at the syllabus, and work from that...
If you go off the syllabus, you CAN'T be wrong!!! so yeah... i dunno if i'd suggest WRITING your own, but certainly ADAPTING your own from others... SO yeah...

- m a d d o g z -

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
no way should u get an actual monlogue!! we have to go out ourselves and read plays. Our teacher expects us to have read 10 - 15 plays throughout the holidays, and when we come have made our choice. You then adapt them from the play, or film, or whatever you choose to do. you take important bits out, include your own interpretations of what the character would say, link them all together to make a smooth narrative piece. I did Adaptation for my prelim course, playing Charlie Kaufman, and I just basically took the script, took chunks, linked them together, and had a great monlogue.

Word of warning that I got from my teacher, and I'll pass on to you, if you do a film do NOT copy the character as it is acted. With plays, its good because you are interperting the character and doing it your own way..but you gotta be careful with films, because it just looks like a copy of it, and that isnt good.

I'm just telling the stuff I was told, hope it helps! Just basically go down to a good library and see what good plays there are, or see good arthouse movies. Just try and see a whole range of things before you make ur decision.

fringey

HSC
Yeah DONT get it off the net, like every1 has said, coz it even said so in the 2002 markers notes!! Dont piss them off, think about it, they have probably seen it b4

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
If you're going to write your own monologue, make sure it fulfills all of the elements of drama, you are able to perform it well, the audience can understand it and it is active...not passive.

Agreed on the net monologues idea. I've seen someone do a net monologue and it was total and utter CRAP.

If you want to do a monologue that is a character from a play, read the ENTIRE play. Not just the one section that you're interested in. You'll be able to unlock the character's emotions, traits and personality. In a whole, it would increase your understanding. If you don't have time to read the entire play, look at a summary of the play/character. What has happened, why, how, etc.

Hope that helps.

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
i've just started the HSC drama course too. But yeah - i've talked to friends who hav allready done it - and they reckon u won't find anything of substance on the net

My advice is to start readin play or if ur gonna write ur own - start researchin....:)

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
I think you should get one off the net. Theres nothing wrong with getting one off the net, and it is easier.

The key is to perform something individually, HENCE the IP being a "Performance", and by doing so you can change the meanings of the charachters & the original meaning of the piece you got off the net to begin with.

Or you can write your own... do whatever you want, i dont care

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
See Krangelus I disagree... I am yet to find Net monologues that are... well, any good! Alot of them are just crap, or some teenager out there thinking they have the ability to write monoluges and provide them to the general public... If you know any good monologue sites pass em on, cause there rare!

jaNetix

adapt a character from a movie that u really like...make sure its a complex and interesting multi layered one tho...

id do that if i did the hsc ova...bloody minimalist set design!!! grr

sickwithlove

Queen Beathen
HSC
books that are written in first person are ideal-autobiographies and the like are excellent for something a bit different. a friend of mine did a piece from 'tmrw when the war began' series and it turned out really well! catch me if u can (the book) is also tops. i'm thinking of doing a piece that i found on the net-it takes a while to find something that is worthwhile but i struck gold, thats why i can't say where it was....INDIVIDUAL PROJECT..hehe. but a word of advice- search for 'one act plays' on the net instead of monologues...u get stuff that is better and a bit longer.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
in the end its all up to you! sometimes its really hard to just make a decision onwhat type of performance you want to do! i reckon if you still cant decide, try grabbing a character that appeals to you.... use aspects of their personality that you find very interesting... check them into a scene/scenario from a DIFFERENT story that you found them in.... and fill the gaps!
err... well........... it was just an idea

stuff

I agree with aLeeOh!. I just wasted the last term trying to right a monologue around some societal changing messaging- until my drama teacher stuffed my entire way of thinking and told me just to make a character. So I'm in the process of reading a book and adapting one of the characters from it and the situation. It's so much easier then writing from scratch. Just remember your not acting yourself- You're trying to be completely different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)