Mooting (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering if there was mooting competitions etc. at Macq for law - cuz I know there are teams at UNSW and USYD which are involved in international comps.

What other clubs etc. are there at Macq? e.g. SRC, debating etc etc... Because from the impression I got from one macq student, there seemed to be nothing? and even if there were a few, I got the impression that they weren't really active... ??!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
?

Really? Our MUDS (Debating Soc) is one of the most active.

http://www.clubs.mq.edu.au/muds/

A lot of people there are from combined law, and I think there might be a bunch of mooting clubs as well, though I'm not in law so you'll have to wait for them to show up here.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yahh there is mooting

my friend's team came out as winners the other year and they got to debate at these official courts somewhere in front of a real judge n stuff.

Anyway he's doing really well for himself right now.. he's off to Vienna soon coz he won something, all expenses paid.. lucky bastard.

anyway yeah there is definately mooting... and it is definately active... i've been to a few moots held on campus that were really interesting to watch.

ps: i don't do law or have any interest in it, yet for some reason i've been to 3 moots

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So far I've been in the internal moots (the junior comp semifinalists) and participated in a moot against Sydney uni with supreme court justices judging and I am only a second year Macq gets people started early.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
HBecause from the impression I got from one macq student, there seemed to be nothing? and even if there were a few, I got the impression that they weren't really active... ??!
Whoever gave you that info probably has absolutely no idea about anything else, I would stop listening to their advice.

*jellz*

HSC
macquarie has a reputation for fostering highly competitive mooting teams-- beating supposedly "better" law schools.

(taken from MULS website)

A mooting team from Macquarie University's Law School can proudly boast that they are one of the finest mooting universities in the world after winning the prestigious Commonwealth Moot, held in Kenya in September. Australia has won this moot only three times since the competition's inception in 1983.

After defeating all comers from 31 law schools at the June 2007 Australian Law Students Association (ALSA) National Mooting Championships in Canberra, the Macquarie team, consisting of Sebastian Hartford-Davis, Tom O'Brien and Patrick Mahoney, represented Australia at the Commonwealth Moot held in Nairobi Kenya from 9-13 September.

The Commonwealth Moot was held in conjunction with the Commonwealth Law Conference 2007, and is a biannual competition with competitors representing Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific, South East Asia, the Caribbean, Africa, Canada and the United Kingdom.

The moot problem involved a highly complicated hypothetical trade dispute between three fictional African countries.

After defeating Bangladesh, Kenya and Jamaica in the preliminary rounds, the team met South Africa in the final. The final moot was conducted in the impressive Kenyan High Court before a highly interventionist bench chaired by Lady Justice Mary Arden of the UK Court of Appeal, as well as Madame Justice Kentish from Barbados, and a Judge of the Kenyan High Court. After a very hard-fought contest Australia was awarded winners and Sebastian Hartford-Davis was awarded best advocate in the grand-final.

"Each year ALSA holds six legal competitions and for the last two years Macquarie has held three of the six national titles," explains Hartford-Davis. "No other university in the Australia/New Zealand region is able to boast more than one ALSA title in a given year. Furthermore, Macquarie is now one of only three Australian universities to win the Commonwealth Moot. That we hold all of these titles is testimony to Macquarie's great strength in this area."

The team received support from the NSW Law Society, Piper Alderman Lawyers in Sydney, the Crown Solicitor's Office NSW, and Macquarie Law.

http://www.muls.org/default.asp?page=Competitions/External+Competitions/Commonwealth+Moot/

miss-smexy

HSC
ohhh so it is active at macq! =) That's great! It sounds really exciting. I'll definitely sign up to them if i end up at macq next year!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Melsc - You must be referring to the Peden Moot... nicely done. A couple of my friends first got their taste of intervarsity mooting through Peden... it's always satisfying to crush USYD.
Yep, we lost unfortunately but afterwards the judges found out we were second years and the USYDers were 3rd years and said "Oh that must have been the slight advantage then" we lost the moot but won the case though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)