• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

More Help Please!!!! :):) (1 Viewer)

John

Hey everyone, I am pretty sure about a career as a Computer Programmer/Engineer. What I was wondering is the following:

1) What courses should I do?
2) What UAI should I be aiming for?
3) To get into Computer Programming/Engineer, what universities can teach me about it or where should I go to learn about it what UAI?.... if needed.
4) Would the job pay well? What opportunities can I have with the job?

It would be appreciated if someone could help me out, just give me a overall knowledge about being a computer programmer/engineer and answer my questions, Thanks.

del

HSC
N/A
1) You mean in highschool right? There usually isn't any prereqs for courses, just recommended... that said it would be useful to do Physics, Ext Maths as you'd be doing that in an Engineering course. Outta all the 3 avail. HSC comp. courses SDD is probably the most relevant. But doing more than one comp. subject helps, as a lot of the content interelates.
2) UAC website has cuttoffs for course... most of the metro. unis are just over 90

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
hey is it true that univeristy of NSW will guarantee u a job at the end of ur course?? coz my friend said that but im not sure if that is true or not. i noe u need like a UAI of about 97. =0( heeh
Theres the BIT at uts, which u spend a year out of the 3 year course working in the industry, so you would most likely recieve an offer from those companies after doing your degree, maybe the unsw co-op program will guarentee you a job also.

John

Hmmm....anyone know eher I should start to learn programming commands for VB 6, I know the basics but I want to learn..

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
you learn as you gain more experience and write more programs. so you can start by writing basic crappy programs and then build up your skill. you could use various sites and learn off other peoples code or use msdn for source cod.e

Kn1ght_M4r3

blah borrow some books on vb6. heheh like i dunno any book on vb6. And yeah just program away. ehehhe thats how i learnt more about Vb6. u think i got taught from my schOol. LOL my teachers a bloody woodwork teacher. ahahah

Winston

HSC
like i said i'd certainly opt for VB.NET over vb6

vb6 is quite old and it's really getting gay when it comes to support for newer OS's, i mean .NET's comprehensive namespaces make programming easily, and little or less do you have to call any API's

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
It also depends where you want to work. Enterprise computing usually uses J2EE as interoperability is paramount in some industries. VB.NET is interesting and Winston knows a fair amount, and as he has said, VB6 is aging now, but the choice is essentially yours.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
make sure you don't work for this guy :D

http://it.seek.com.au/users/viewdet...tAction=ViewOneAd&JobSearch=true&AdID=2866075
Heh, :p, the position's been removed

Sorry. The advertiser has recently removed this position.

To view more jobs, visit the SEEK's job search page or follow the link in your Job Mail to view all jobs that match your profile.

If you do not understand this message, visit our FAQ file (Frequently Asked Questions) or our HELP page.
:p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
argh!! its gone. noooooooooooo

that was a friggin funny ad

the guy says he wants to employ a VB Team Leader.

then he raves on for 5 paragraphs saying

"if you are expert VB coder but not team leader we don't want you. If you are an excellent team leader but not VB coder we don't want you. If you worked in macdonalds and became a manager with team leader abilities that does not qualify you as a team leader, therefore we don't want you."

and on and on and on.

i posted it here a while ago. http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9863

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
bwahahahahahah man if someone wrote that as an ad, i don't think they would be taken seriously lol, but fug thats still funny shit lol.
That was written as a genuine advertisement on careerone :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
probably was taken off careerone cuz no one replied :) they all thought it was fake :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)