More than a little confused (1 Viewer)

princessrach

HSC
Im looking at past hsc papers for my half yearly exam. Qn 18 on the 2001 paper. How has the Australian continent grown over geological time as a result of plate tectonic processes? My teacher was saying that every teacher hated this question as theres not enough space to cover everything. How should i answer it?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'll assume that its about a 5 - 6 line answer? Meaning about 5 marks? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have the paper infront of me.

I hated this question as well, I always used more space that what was available. You can write extra off the lines if you want, they still mark it, but just don't go over too much. Another 3 or so lines maximum (i think).

From memory, cause I've forgotten where I've put my notes.
The major things to talk about will be:
- Movement west to east
- The three oldest regions in Australia
- The timeframe
- What tectonic processes

I think you know what to talk about. You just need to learn which bits are important and which bits aren't. You'll be a master of it by the end of the HSC :)

sangboi

HSC
Basically this question is asking how australia formed amd yes it is a long process the main points you just have to remember are:

- Australia formed West-East
- First to form were 2 cratons the Yilgarn and the Pilbara in Western Australia
- Next were two more cratons one in the northern territory and one in south australia
- then these cratons were "welded" together this was a complicated process and is called the central mobile belt
- lastly the hot spot which formed the east coast of australia

These are the main processes in which australia formed. I think if you can rember these you should be able to get the 5 marks its probably worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)