More Trig Help *Thanks Guys* :) (1 Viewer)

x___y

HSC
Help with Part B of question 19, and question 20 please :)

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.13.53 am.png

HSC
19 b
qr/sinb=a/2sin90 (sin rule)

qr=sinb*a*1/2

yea also b is 45 degrees cause like triangles and it bisects
cos(45)^2=1/2
cos(b)^2=1/2

qr=sinb*a*cos(b)^2

20 im not bothered but like if you apply the symmetry on the two triangles and minus like big from small you should get it i think.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
19 b
qr/sinb=a/2sin90 (sin rule)

qr=sinb*a*1/2

yea also b is 45 degrees cause like triangles and it bisects
cos(45)^2=1/2
cos(b)^2=1/2

qr=sinb*a*cos(b)^2

20 im not bothered but like if you apply the symmetry on the two triangles and minus like big from small you should get it i think.
Angle is not ... if it was would be , which does not appear true given the diagram.

Also, the use of the sine rule at the start appears to assume that is the midpoint of , which is not given in the question.

----

Let .

Then (angle sum of ).

Then (angle sum of line ).

Then (angle sum of ).

Then (angle sum of ).

Now, in .

And, in .

And, using the Pythagorean identity .

So, using , as required.

gendu

HSC
Angle is not ... if it was would be , which does not appear true given the diagram.

Also, the use of the sine rule at the start appears to assume that is the midpoint of , which is not given in the question.

----

Let .

Then (angle sum of ).

Then (angle sum of ).

Then (angle sum of ).

Now, in .

And, in .

And, using the Pythagorean identity .

So, using , as required.
...............………………………….¸„„„„ …………………….…………...„--~'¯…….'\ ………….…………………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì …….…………………….¸„-^"¯ : : : : :¸-¯"¯/' ……………………¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : '¸„„,-" **¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-" .:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-" :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯ .::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ :.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~" :.:.:: :"-„""**/'ì¸'¯ :.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\ .:.:.: : : : :" : : : : , :.: : : : : : : : : : : : 'Ì : : : : : : :, : : : : : :/ "-„::::„-*__„„~"

Attachments

HSC
...............………………………….¸„„„„ …………………….…………...„--~'¯…….'\ ………….…………………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì …….…………………….¸„-^"¯ : : : : :¸-¯"¯/' ……………………¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : '¸„„,-" **¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-" .:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-" :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯ .::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ :.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~" :.:.:: :"-„""**/'ì¸'¯ :.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\ .:.:.: : : : :" : : : : , :.: : : : : : : : : : : : 'Ì : : : : : : :, : : : : : :/ "-„::::„-*__„„~"
theyre similar...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Earlier in this thread, I wrote that:
Angle
is not
... if it was
would be
, which does not appear true given the diagram.
I need to point out that my statement that "
would be
" if angle
is
is inaccurate, the result of a mistake on my part. Angle
being
does not mean that
must be
as a consequence. My apologies for the mistake.

I maintain, however, that I see nothing in the question that supports drawing the conclusion that angle
must be
, but it is one possible value for angle
. I do not think that an answer that was based on an unproven declaration that angle
must be
or that must bisect would gain much credit.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Gendu, looking at your attachment, I see pairs of similar triangles but no congruent triangles (though there would be congruent triangles if angle was required to be ).

As for the above string of characters, I have no idea what it is.

Finally... yes, I am a Mod, but that doesn't mean that I never make mistakes or am always right. I'm fine with people questioning me, pointing out mistakes, etc. I encourage everyone to look at each post on its merits. The fact that a post is made from someone who has a track record of useful / helpful / correct posts is a reason to reflect if something seems to be wrong, but not to accept a post as true just because of who posted it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)