Most common mistakes ? (1 Viewer)

Boonyak

HSC
What are the most common mistake sin the hsc.

And for e.g if we have a question like, Series and we have for e.g: 51/2(50(2)+(5-1)(6)) Do we have to simplify brackets and show that in working out or straight to calculator thanks

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
What are the most common mistake sin the hsc.

And for e.g if we have a question like, Series and we have for e.g: 51/2(50(2)+(5-1)(6)) Do we have to simplify brackets and show that in working out or straight to calculator thanks
No, just put it in on the calculator and make sure you have brackets etc.

Boonyak

HSC
Thanks and, if we for example are doing question 4 part III) and use a proof from II ) for e.g congruence of a triangle do we have to indicate that this is from II.

Capt Rifle

HSC
watch out for those plusses and minuses, they can really stuff you up at times. (I've had experience with this before) :(

Keelan134

HSC
From I can remember, not putting a +C at the end of an indefinite integral.
Everytime... haha, to correct this I have posted a Huge +C above my door as I leave my room.

My biggest mistake is rushing and then scribbling my working out so when it gets to calculator time I put in say a 3 instead of a 2

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
You people shouldn't just blindly memorise that you need to add +C to integral questions. You should actually understand why the C is actually needed. Just blindly memorising "+C" is of no value, and people should not be given marks solely because they remember to blindly add a C to any indefinate integral question.

shravan_872

HSC
Uni Grad
for me its usually instead of putting < or = to, ill put down <

nifkeh

HSC
You people shouldn't just blindly memorise that you need to add +C to integral questions. You should actually understand why the C is actually needed. Just blindly memorising "+C" is of no value, and people should not be given marks solely because they remember to blindly add a C to any indefinate integral question.
I actually forget to append a C, don't hate lol. For some reason my brain thinks it to be like differentiation and then omits any mention of C, until I look in the answers lol.

Also: We know how to integrate, except we just forget to append +C - what you say "people should not be given marks solely because they remember to blindly add a C to any indefinate integral question" seems like we just add it without even integrating it lol...

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
List of silly mistakes I have made:

- Forgetting +C
- Not dotting line when graphing inequalities (i.e. y > x needs inequalities)
- Confusing the exact ratios
- Misreading f^-1 (x) for f'(x) and actually finding f'(x) even though question asked for f-1(x) (yes this has truly happened to me)
- Entering in calculator wrong
- Miscounting years/interest etc
- Needing to prove an expression a > b, everything was done correctly, Conclusion : a < b
- using the wrong GP formula
- General algebraic errors
- etc

Those are the ones I can remember so far

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Just because you forget a +C, it does not mean you don't understand why it should be there....

Not coming back to questions you skipped is a big one.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I understand what the +C is there for very well indeed, yet I have forgotten it before (rare occurrence now). Its mostly due to rushing the paper and time issues that people forget to put +C. Id like to see even the best mathematician be flawless 24/7

Fakeuser

HSC
^This.

No matter how good you are, all people eventually make mistakes. In exam conditions, I've stuffed up basic addition which would be an extremely rare occurrence on my own.

The exam room...does things to you.

laser6628

HSC
N/A
assuming volume goes around the x axis when it asks for y axis. everytime... EVERYTIME

_pikachu

HSC
not saving answers and using answers that are rounded up or down

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Always think about your answers after you write them down. Don't see it as just a number. For example, if you found the integral of sin(x) between 0 and pi/2, you'd expect the value to be positive. If the question involved a circle, you'd expect your answer to have pi somewhere. If you're finding the height of a tower, make sure it's a feasible value (e.g. not 0.1m).

Whenever you can substitute answers back in to an equation to check them, do it.

Watch your calculator screen when you type things in. It's very easy to think you're typing in a number and type something completely different by accident.

_pikachu

HSC
using wrong limits when finding area of volume
such as using limits on the y-axis when the curve is rotated around the x-axis

iBibah

HSC
Always think about your answers after you write them down. Don't see it as just a number. For example, if you found the integral of sin(x) between 0 and pi/2, you'd expect the value to be positive. If the question involved a circle, you'd expect your answer to have pi somewhere. If you're finding the height of a tower, make sure it's a feasible value (e.g. not 0.1m).

Whenever you can substitute answers back in to an equation to check them, do it.

Watch your calculator screen when you type things in. It's very easy to think you're typing in a number and type something completely different by accident.
yes subbing in values can find countless errors. Even those question where you simplify an expression with x, sub a value into the simplified version and the original and they should be the same.

Write on the exam paper so when you check you remember things. For example as soon as you turn to question, say, 3 and there is an indefinite integral, write +c beside it.

Most importantly, use common sense and logic. If you found the volume in a barrel after 10 seconds to be -32.756383, there's a problem. If you found the probability of winning a raffle with 500 people in it to be 78%, there is a problem (usually).

And don't forget when to use radians or degrees.

criticalthinker

HSC
true point... plus i dont think in 2U the marker will mark you down for it, but in ext1U i know you need +C for binomial theorem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)