Most effective way to study content heavy topics (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all,
Wondering what is the best way to study content heavy parts of chemistry and physics such as module 7 and 8. I already go tutoring, but just want an opinion on if there's a point to retyping tutoring notes/ adding a little bit more to them or if that's just a complete waste of time. Secondly, if that's not the most effective way to study, then is the best method to just reread notes? I suppose doing questions is not as helpful since you have not memorised all of it yet so kind of pointless.

Cheers
~B

idkkdi

HSC
Hi all,
Wondering what is the best way to study content heavy parts of chemistry and physics such as module 7 and 8. I already go tutoring, but just want an opinion on if there's a point to retyping tutoring notes/ adding a little bit more to them or if that's just a complete waste of time. Secondly, if that's not the most effective way to study, then is the best method to just reread notes? I suppose doing questions is not as helpful since you have not memorised all of it yet so kind of pointless.

Cheers
~B
You can go do questions as soon as you understand and then memorise by doing questions.

If ur going to retype tutoring notes it's probably a waste of your time. Maybe just underline/mark what you think is important in your tutoring notes on your tutoring notes.

If you want to add more that might be worth keeping an actual record of, and just keep a doc with that stuff or smth.

tifi.oo

HSC
Hi all,

Cheers
~B
I wouldn't bother retyping notes (complete waste of time). The best way to study is doing practice questions. when your learning content have your notes in front of you and don't do them in timed conditions (as of now). On the NESA website they have HSC questions by each module and I highly recommend to that. This way not only are you attempting questions your also learning your content too. This technique really helps me and I hope it helps you too :)))

HSC
I wouldn't bother retyping notes (complete waste of time). The best way to study is doing practice questions. when your learning content have your notes in front of you and don't do them in timed conditions (as of now). On the NESA website they have HSC questions by each module and I highly recommend to that. This way not only are you attempting questions your also learning your content too. This technique really helps me and I hope it helps you too :)))
Do you see a use to flash cards? As I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi all,

Cheers
~B
In my opinion learning the content is much better than doing practice questions, since that's basically all I did for my trials since I crammed. For the HSC I did like 5-10 papers but I had no time to mark them, so it was basically useless, but I did spend the time memorising content instead and it still worked. I'd say memorising all the notes (I memorised my tutoring notes too) lets you have the ability to answer every question, but doing questions only lets you answer similar questions.

But basically what I did was print out the syllabus and highlight stuff I 100% knew and could answer a question confidently, then I revised 1 by 1, the remaining ones. I guess after reading a dot point you could actively recall it in your head or out loud. Flash cards could help, such as Anki, but I personally just read tutoring notes and it worked. Good luck with whatever method you go with though!

Edit: I'm not saying to do NO practice questions, since I still did a few at tutoring, but I definitely would prioritise memorising all the content first before attempting questions.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

Cheers
~B
I'm of the opinion that tutoring should supplement what is done in class not be its replacement.
The best way is to make notes during class. If your teacher does not provide material, then utilize textbooks and tutoring materials, but I'm on the opinion that is not that helpful to be too far ahead in the course; but perhaps a little bit won't hurt.

It is better to have depth of understanding the concepts. Unless your teacher's whiteboard notes are really good (which at my school they were), you probably should supplement with information

There is no point retying tutoring notes. It is waste of time; especially as most of it I would suspect will be spent with formatting and typing rather than reviewing. If you do decide to make your own notes, but generally if you haven't been given notes from class, I wouldn't bother.
In that case, for some people handwritten notes may be better (if your writing is legible)

Last edited:

tifi.oo

HSC
In my opinion learning the content is much better than doing practice questions, since that's basically all I did for my trials since I crammed. For the HSC I did like 5-10 papers but I had no time to mark them, so it was basically useless, but I did spend the time memorising content instead and it still worked. I'd say memorising all the notes (I memorised my tutoring notes too) lets you have the ability to answer every question, but doing questions only lets you answer similar questions.

But basically what I did was print out the syllabus and highlight stuff I 100% knew and could answer a question confidently, then I revised 1 by 1, the remaining ones. I guess after reading a dot point you could actively recall it in your head or out loud. Flash cards could help, such as Anki, but I personally just read tutoring notes and it worked. Good luck with whatever method you go with though!

Edit: I'm not saying to do NO practice questions, since I still did a few at tutoring, but I definitely would prioritise memorising all the content first before attempting questions.
HOW DID YOU ONLY DO A FEW HSC PAPERS AND STILL MANAGE TO GET A 99 ATAR?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
HOW DID YOU ONLY DO A FEW HSC PAPERS AND STILL MANAGE TO GET A 99 ATAR?
Tbh just understand the content with a lot of detail, like for biology I asked the most questions in our cohort's group chat even tho I was first LOL, just to understand small stuff

Everyone studies differently tho, I don't 100% know what to attribute high marks to, it's probably a combination of study techniques... Like I was considering dropping 4u maths in the first term where all the easy topics were (since I found it too hard) then tried my best to get good at it and yeah it worked out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)