• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most respected business degree (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
¬_¬ said:
Also must take into account that B Business is still recognized as an acceptable pre-req to post-graduate studies like CA and CPA; which make things alot easier later on. After all, once you have post-grad qualifications in the industry, noone really cares about your degree. IIRC the UTS B Business has all the CA reqs in the normal degree structure (majoring in Accounting and something else) whereas at UNSW it requires a lot more thinking/planning to ensure that you get your degree structured correctly to incorporate everything you need for CA as well as your majors.
Your signature...are you a PWC cadet? My friend is one. She had to choose between B.Business at UTS or B.Commerce at Mac. She chose the later, after talking to many people in the industry. But as you said B.Business does offer the same opportunity to qualify for a CA/CPA. I think in the end it comes down to the marks you get at uni, regardless of whether you do commerce or business.
But the question is; if an employer was to sit down and have to choose between two graduates from B.Business or B.Commerce with very similar marks, who would they choose? But then other skills you have become important. For example, I've heard that employers looking for accounting graduates today are trying to find people who have good communication skills, so that they can interact well with co-workers and clients (of course that would depend also on the specific area of accounting, I know theres heaps like taxation, legal or whatever).
Thats just accounting though. Not all students undertaking a commerce or business degree want to be accountants, obviously :p.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The_Apprentice said:
But the question is; if an employer was to sit down and have to choose between two graduates from B.Business or B.Commerce with very similar marks, who would they choose? But then other skills you have become important. For example, I've heard that employers looking for accounting graduates today are trying to find people who have good communication skills, so that they can interact well with co-workers and clients (of course that would depend also on the specific area of accounting, I know theres heaps like taxation, legal or whatever).
Most people will agree with me when I say that academics are only a small part of the whole "getting a job". Whilst B Commerce probably sounds better than B Business, the recruiter would probably also take into account the difficulty of the course and the university at which the candidate studied at. Ultimately though, as you put it, it's the other things which make you a good and suitable employee rather than a smart one which will land you the job- such as communication skills and team work ability. This doesn't just apply to accounting but many jobs out there- university qualifications are just evidence that you were able to learn some stuff about the industry and how things work, and maybe provide a bit of indication as to your ability to learn new things (since the employer is likely to provide on the job training); but really, it's whether or not you are or will be useful to the employer which will make or break any job offers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)