• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Most under rated movie (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
spiny norman said:
Paths of Glory and The Killing must surely be close to that position?
perhaps you're right
but at least when they are referred to it's with great praise
barry lyndon, if ever mentioned, is tossed aside as boring or forgettable
that said, those two movies are terrific and barely mentioned at all

what about killer's kiss? :p

rewster

HSC
I think the most underated film is A Nightmare on Elm Street. People bag it out because of its uneven performances and crappy effects. But this film has the best idea for a movie in which a serial killer strikes in your own nightmares. It's brilliant how the teens all figure out that they are dreaming of the same character and are picked off one by one. The premise is much better than Halloween and Firday the 13th, and even Sream, its just it could have been done a lot better.

Carnivour

HSC
Memento. i dont think it ever got the recognition it deserved for the brilliant directing and acting, as well as the plot line

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'd say Momento is if anything, somewhat overrated. It's an exceptional piece of filmmaking and deserves praise, but in the end most of its praise has been won on a gimmick.

walrusbear

HSC
i agree
one of those movies that is actually quite good but is overshone by zealous praise

walrusbear

HSC
equilibrium borrows from everything and does nothing interesting with it. the acting was cheesy but what can you expect from such a hackneyed premise

boondock saints does everything it can to be amusing and edgy and achieves neither

i reckon the most underrated movies are ones that provide fairly unique ideas that don't connect with a big audience or critics
these movies aren't rated because they're substantially derivative

wanton-wonton

HSC
Darkening said:
Equilibrum
Boondock saits
Returner

3 great movies that neva hit Australia!!! most people neva heard of em
Equilibrium wasn't that great. There are plenty of other dystopic films.

The Real Cancun, and American History X are the two most underrated films. :santa:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't really see how American History X could be any more highly rated short of being hailed as one of the great movies of all time.. which I think is going a bit over the top. It's universally..worshipped almost with the mainstream, and it has the respect of most critics.

Equilibrium is possibly a tad underrated by critics. I didn't love it, but it wasn't quite as bad as some critics claimed it to be.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i second "king of comedy" and want to put my vote in the "shawshank" overrated category.

i also think "insomnia" doesnt recieve the love it deserves. there are some pretty awesome performances in that film, and the direction was spot on.

edit: the original ^ is pretty rad too.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
The Real Cancun, and American History X are the two most underrated films. :santa:
If Real Cancun is that silly reality tv-ish thing I'm thinking of, I sure hope you're kidding. American History X is pretty cool.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Alleycat said:
second "king of comedy" and want to put my vote in the "shawshank" overrated category.

i also think "insomnia" doesnt recieve the love it deserves. there are some pretty awesome performances in that film, and the direction was spot on.

edit: the original ^ is pretty rad too.
Agree with Insomnia, I have no idea why people didn't respond more warmly to it. It has all the elements of a classic really.. Hillary Swank may have been the weak link I guess, but otherwise everything was spot on.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Benny_ said:
Agree with Insomnia, I have no idea why people didn't respond more warmly to it. It has all the elements of a classic really.. Hillary Swank may have been the weak link I guess, but otherwise everything was spot on.
i didnt think hilary swank particularly let the team down, she had a pretty non-eventful role. but the duo of al pacino and robin williams was brilliant. it had a really good storyline and sideline acting.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Ghost World

Surely deserves to be recognised as a modern day classic. I reckon it's better than American Beauty.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Big meh to Insomnia. It was a standard detective thriller really, with some fine performances. While i'd rate it among one of the few remakes that's actually better than its original, it's still not that greater film. Nolan's a talented little director, but Insomnia isn't something to judge it by.

Underrated films? Hrmm.. Code 46 was very good if you ask me, and often cops flack from critics. I love winterbottom/cottrell boyce films, I think they're a pair of extremely talented filmmakers who don't get the recognision they deserve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)