Motivational story for first year students (1 Viewer)

Ayoo

HSC
I did my hsc in 2013 anticipating that I'd get an atar of at least 94, with the intention of doing unsw commerce and hopefully transfer into comm/law after 1 year
However things didn't turn out quite the way I liked and I ended up getting 90.5 atar, missing out on the commerce degree I thought I'd easily make.
I still remember the nausea, the dizziness after receiving my atar, the disappointment in my parents eyes and the sense that all my hard work had been for nothing.
I had an option then to either admit that I was incapable of getting into unsw law and settling for uts business or for unsw economics, a degree that was quite maths intensive considering I got 85 in 2u maths but most importantly a degree which allowed for an internal transfer that dosent take your atar into consideration. Despite my reservation for my mathematical ability and the employability to a straight economics degree, somewhere deep down though my competitive spirit lit up, I used my hsc failure to further motivate myself to go for it all and I decided to do unsw economics.

Now after a year I made it into unsw law.
The person who couldn't even make it into commerce is now doing law.
So to all those of you who did not get into your desired courses, use that as a further motivation. Uni and high school are completely different.

HSC
congratsss :D
I feel like if med transfers were more successful/common I would just go for it but
There's always that possibility that my second attempt at UMAT becomes another big epic fail
and I just waste time in a health degree

BlugyBlug

HSC
OP is right. Save for medicine, most courses are very easy to transfer into as long as you are transferring within the same university. Law is a bit harder than others, but a ~80 WAM required for unsw law transfer is much easier than 99.65 atar.

Ayoo

HSC
Wow didn't realise there was already a guide, was thinking of writing one haha
And congrats to you too! Might see u around :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)