Mouse in MS-DOS (1 Viewer)

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
My mouse does not work in MS-DOS. I have installed a dos mouse driver but when accessing this in dos, the following message appears:

"Microsoft Mouse not found, try another 9 or 25 pin serial portand/or check for interrupt
conflicts with other peripherals.
Type Mouse /f to check all ports."

When I typed in Mouse/f i got the same message.

I have a Logitech optical mouse.

What should I do?
Please help! Thanks in advance.

Winston

HSC
LOL what?! Mouse in MS-DOS? :S... u mean just plain DOS, not command prompt inside windows, because how on earth do you have a cursor just in MS-DOS :S..

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
LOL what?! Mouse in MS-DOS? :S... u mean just plain DOS, not command prompt inside windows, because how on earth do you have a cursor just in MS-DOS :S..
Firstly, what he said ^

And secondly,
What "mouse drivers" are you talking about? If they are mouse drivers for Windows - then you can't expect them to work in DOS. Having said that, you can use your mouse (navigating a cursor) which is a "rectangular block" more so than a cursor/pointer, but this only applies for particular DOS-written software. Norton Ghost for DOS is one such application.

Thirdly, I am guessing that you have a USB mouse - Logitech optical mouse. Even if it is corded, or non-corded (wireless), don't expect it to work in DOS. The message that Microsoft have given refer to "old" mice using serial ports (PS/2), and even then, there's no guarantee that it will work in DOS.

What should you do? Use the alt button and stick to what DOS was meant to be used by - a keyboard - why would you want to use a mouse anyway? There's always the "up" cursor and commands to learn ;)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
When you say MS-DOS do you mean in true 16 bit DOS (e.g. off a bootdisk), or do you just mean the command prompt under Windows? Also is your mouse a USB mouse, or a serial/PS2 mouse? Can you tell us the model no. of your mouse?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I don't think Logitech even make PS/2 mice. I should think that an optical mouse is USB these days, it would be fairly unusual for Hotdog to be connecting USB->PS/2 (using the supplied adapter), this is more common in keyboards than in mice usage. My gut feeling is that he has an MX series or the Click! Optical line (cheaper than the MX).
Originally posted by Hotdog
I have a Logitech optical mouse.
I also think he means true 16-bit DOS, or it could be he's in the command prompt and is trying to "cross over" (from Windows into the command prompt). Using the Windows cursor (pointer) and trying to get it inside the command prompt window to use the mouse (what would you click? :p)

edit
Logitech do make PS/2 mice (and supply PS/2 adapters with their USB mice).

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hotdog is trying to use that mouse.com file that enable the mouse in MS-DOS for applications such as "edit".

That worked fine for my old serial mouse, but i'm not sure of its support for USB and PS/2 mice. That is a **VERY** old app.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
USB -> PS/2 -> Serial adaptor required. ^_^
Originally posted by Huy
I should think that an optical mouse is USB these days, it would be fairly unusual for Hotdog to be connecting USB->PS/2 (using the supplied adapter).

edit
Logitech do make PS/2 mice (and supply PS/2 adapters with their USB mice).
;)

Winston

HSC
A bit of iteration helps to reinforce a good suggestion ;) :p

sammeh

im assuming by msdos mouse driver you're refering to the mouse.com program, which u exec thru autoexec.bat yah? im also assuming you mean REAL dos, not the pansy windows command prompt version.

by god this is going back a ways, but yeah. if you run that program and it gives you that message, it means that your mouse is probably too new to be supported by dos. in fact, if you have a newish logitech optical, the dpi rate is probly causing dos to go "err...wtf thats physically impossible" which explains the port not found error. run the "mouse /f" command and get the port it wants, i cant remember the i/o and irq ranges off hand, but its likely that your mouse falls outside them. grab a $2 serial ball mouse if you're that desperate and try it, but apart from that i'd just get over it. i mean, theres no real reason to run dos for anything anyway, if u really really need a dos application run it thru win98 and it'll emulate a mouse driver for you.

just my $0.02 its late and im getting incoherent, but bear with me.

cheers;

sam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)